Turning off 3G etc

This is a discussion on Turning off 3G etc within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I am going out of the country soon (The Bahamas) and I cannot use most of the functions on my cell phone (texting, internet, etc.) ...

Thread: Turning off 3G etc

Turning off 3G etc

I am going out of the country soon (The Bahamas) and I cannot use most of the functions on my cell phone (texting, internet, etc.) because I get charged an extra fee, or so I'm told, everytime I send a text, use the internet, etc. I know that airplane mode turns off all the wireless stuff, but is there a way to turn off everything except for wifi? The resort I am staying has wifi and I would like to use it, but only if I can turn off everything else.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

you can turn on airplane mode and then turn on wifi. itll keep wifi (and gps and bluetooth) on while disabling other phone communications (3g/edge/etc)

Awesome! Thanks for the help!

I travel to canada and do 4 things to not get charged since tryinhg to turn on wifi in airplane mode can be a pain.

#1 Disable Roaming Data; (press menu --> settings --> wireless controls --> mobile networks, uncheck data roaming)

#2 Disable just data; use Quick Settings (search google for it) and uncheck apn

#3 kill 3G only (saves battery life since you will not use data; still have data but not 3g)

#4 Kill the phone's radio competly; (same as airplace mode without turning on airplane mode)
    Use switchpan, select data, scroll down and turn off the radio

Quote Originally Posted by j101399j View Post
    I travel to canada and do 4 things to not get charged since tryinhg to turn on wifi in airplane mode can be a pain.

#1 Disable Roaming Data; (press menu --> settings --> wireless controls --> mobile networks, uncheck data roaming)

#2 Disable just data; use Quick Settings (search google for it) and uncheck apn

#3 kill 3G only (saves battery life since you will not use data; still have data but not 3g)

#4 Kill the phone's radio competly; (same as airplace mode without turning on airplane mode)
    Use switchpan, select data, scroll down and turn off the radio
    ----------

How do you "kill 3G only"? Do you have to use some additional program?
    Is "switchpan" a program or futures of the OS?
    And the last question, all this three steps are they better then just set the airplane mode on or there is some difference between those solutions?

Thanks.

Disabling data roaming is something I would advise everyone to do, unless they know that they actually need it.

Switchpan I believe would be an app in the Market.

Really, just turning on Airplane mode, and then enabling wifi should do what you want. You can always use Google Voice (if you can find an invite) to make calls over data (wifi).

Regarding disabling 3G only, there really isn't a good way to do it. Some people have had success with creating a shortcut to a setting using AnyCut, but I've attempted it on my phone, and the setting will not change (I wish I could, since there isn't any 3G signal here, and wish I could cause the phone not to look for one). You can search through the forums here if you'd like to try doing it for yourself. Maybe you'll be one of the few who can.

Can you give us some details on how to use Google Voice to make calls over data (wifi)?

Thanks.

Google Voice requires an invite from someone who has access. It basically allows you though to make outgoing calls using data (VOIP) instead of using your cellular minutes.

This would be nice in your case if you can use free Wifi and don't want to pay international roaming charges for making calls. There are other benefits of Google Voice, but for the purposes of this thread, that would be the main point.

Thanks for all the info guys

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links