using motorola backflip without a dataplan?

This is a discussion on using motorola backflip without a dataplan? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Quite honestly, its not going to be worth it to use the phone without a data plan. Your best bet is to get a "dumb" ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: using motorola backflip without a dataplan?

Quite honestly, its not going to be worth it to use the phone without a data plan. Your best bet is to get a "dumb" phone and get something like the iPod Touch, or Archos tablet or the like for web. Like what other posters have said, its far too easy to enable web features on a phone like this and that will charge you -lots- of money if you aren't 100% careful.

As for chargers, I've used both the cable and charger from my Barnes and Noble nook and it works 100% fine both for PC and wall-charging.

If the other Micro-USB cables won't fit, chances are you really have a Mini-USB plug which is larger, Mini-USB cables were used a lot for older cell phones such as the Motorola Razor and the like.

Any Micro-USB cable should work, just grab a few cheap ones off of Newegg or a physical store and keep them near your computers to cope with the Backflips terrible battery life.

Actually many of you are mistaken lol, I have had a motorola backflip with att without the data plan. Simply have them block your data coverage, and switch to a different plan its not in fact useless, you can just use the wifi I dont see whats the problem if people want to have a phone for that reason. Just call att and have them block it you wont get charged. I have used all my smart phones this way especially my iphone and I have never gotten charged once for any data. If people want to have nice smartphones without data plans so be it nothing you can do. I like using the wifi I really dont mind or care. Also, you dont even have to unlock the phone just call att.

Quote Originally Posted by xcdkxbdkx View Post
    Actually many of you are mistaken lol, I have had a motorola backflip with att without the data plan. Simply have them block your data coverage, and switch to a different plan its not in fact useless, you can just use the wifi I dont see whats the problem if people want to have a phone for that reason. Just call att and have them block it you wont get charged. I have used all my smart phones this way especially my iphone and I have never gotten charged once for any data. If people want to have nice smartphones without data plans so be it nothing you can do. I like using the wifi I really dont mind or care. Also, you dont even have to unlock the phone just call att.
    Well consider yourself lucky that ATT has allowed you to do this. Their policy however is that if you use a smartphone on their network you MUST take a data plan.

Quote Originally Posted by xcdkxbdkx View Post
    Good to hear someone is happily using the phone without a data plan. Seems like whenever someone so much as asks about doing this, they get nothing but hate. For me personally, the data plan is worth the cost (especially now that there are cheaper ones available), but I have a few relatives who have always used smartphones with no data plan and have been very happy with them.

So just to be clear, you didn't get yours subsidized through AT&T, right? Did you just get it off ebay or something?

I got my backflip in a trade, it was brand new so more than likely it was subsidized, regardless, I was still able to use it through att without getting charged Im telling you all you need to do is block the data flow att does this you have to call them its the only way. Btw I have also always used smartphones without a dataplan I just use the wifi lol. I dont need the digital flow of information every second in my life although its nice to have for numerous reasons.

@jmgib im not lucky alot of people do this especially iphone 3g users, awhile back I read on some forums that they were able to call att and just have them block the data and not get charged and in fact I also had a iphone 3g for awhile, also it was subsidized not unlocked or jailbroken, and I never got charged once, the 3G sign never came up it was always the Edge bars. Same thing for the backflip usually you have the 3g connection indication, but all I ever had was the bars.

While many dont argue for this case, I am all for selling smartphones without data plans. It really is annoying to
    pay for something that you dont use that often, and its nice to know that even though you dont have data flow
    you are still able to access everything with wifi and there is no data cap to worry about. But I understand that many of
    you need it every living second, and the causes are justifiable: gps apps w/ live data traffic, email for job situations, etc.
    But I dont feel that it is necessary to discourage such behavior in such a vast market. In all honesty I think in the case for data plans
    or no data plans for smartphones both have there advantages and disadvantages. For me it would be nice to have a data plan, but its a luxury that I dont need and im very happy without it.

From what I've heard, You have to get "grandfathered in" to get a smartphone with no data plan. Meaning you had to have upgraded to a smartphone before September 2009 without a data plan in order to be eligible. There might be special circumstances that you can use a smartphone without a data plan on AT&T's network (like what xcdkxbdkx described). I couldn't imagine my phone without a data connection though.

That sounds right. And maybe he's always around wifi networks and doesn't need it.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links