using motorola backflip without a dataplan?

This is a discussion on using motorola backflip without a dataplan? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; i'm not sure how often this question has been asked before, but my friend sold me a motorola backflip phone for a relatively agreeable price. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using motorola backflip without a dataplan?

using motorola backflip without a dataplan?

i'm not sure how often this question has been asked before, but my friend sold me a motorola backflip phone for a relatively agreeable price. however, i don't think i can afford a dataplan and want to use it solely as a phone with wifi. is that at all possible? i know you can do a similar thing with the iphone by reconfiguring the APN

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Acutally this question has come up numerous times here already. The general suggestion is that it is a bad idea. Yes, it is possible to completely disable the cellular data on the phone, however ATT still may at their discretion add a dataplan once they recognize the Backflip on their network.

So you can do this if you want, but it's basically like playing roulette.

does at&t make it obvious when they add the data plan? e.g. sending you a letter, text, etc. ?

Usually you would receive a text I believe. Really though, you can't afford the new 200mb/mo data plan?

Ya that doesn't sound like too good of an idea because the phone has live updates and feeds.. you wouldn't really get the the full experience? If that makes sense.

how much does the new plan cost?

also my friend apparently didn't have the charger. is the micro-usb port unique to the phone alone? none of my other micro-usb connectors fit into it

I don't believe the micro-usb plug itself is unique, but there have been claims that some usb cables will not charge the phones (seems Motorola used some customer wiring inside the cable).

Quote Originally Posted by tonyphamilyman View Post
    how much does the new plan cost?

also my friend apparently didn't have the charger. is the micro-usb port unique to the phone alone? none of my other micro-usb connectors fit into it
    The 200mb/month plan is $15.00, and it's what I have. I am only using half of that, so it definitely meets my needs. The Backflip uses a micro USB cable, but I don't have experience using any cable other than the one that came with the phone.

I have used a number of other USB cables and haven't had any problems with them. I have had a lot of issues with the chargers themselves though (though you can always charge up from a computers USB port if you have too).

I think you can also get chargers for the Backflip really cheap on Amazon and Ebay.

You don't want to have a smart phone for long without a data plan. It's entirely too simple to accidentally turn on the 'web' portion of the phone, and if you don't have a data plan in place, your carrier will charge you per bit of information, not for the length of time you're on the "web." As for the chargers available, there's loads of them via Amazon.com, along with nice gripp-y cool cases to protect the phone if you drop it, or whatever. What I'm wanting is a longer USB from the charger to the phone/USB port on my pc... I've never seen either a USB or even a Moto charger cable that's so short. It's annoying. Reminds me of the original dual shock controllers for PlayStation :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links