Regret getting Backflip (rambling)

This is a discussion on Regret getting Backflip (rambling) within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Hello All, Well I am a new 2 year subscriber to AT&T and as such am in my 30 days to like and try phase. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Regret getting Backflip (rambling)

Hello All,

Well I am a new 2 year subscriber to AT&T and as such am in my 30 days to like and try phase. I had the Samsung Captivate, but sent it back, because it was having many problems. Unfortunately, AT&T doesn't have the Great Droid phones that the other carriers seem to have. Kinda makes me regret coming to AT&T, but family is on it so I got on it. I was looking at the Backflip, but after reading this thread, well I am glad I checked out this forum.

Question though, if you guys were in my shoes and copuld pick any AT&T Phone, which would you pick and why? It seems no matter which one you look at, as soon as you start digging into the guts of the phone al sorts of bad things start popping out. It is almost like we have to pick the phone with the least amount of issues, rather than picking a phone with no issues as they simply do not exist. Now that is a sad state of affairs indeed.

So, which would you pick and why?

Thanks!

Well 5 months ago I would have recommended the iPhone, hands down. I have a jailbroken 3G iPhone and you can pretty much do whatever you want with it as far as apps and customization. In March I got a Backflip for free from Wirefly with the stipulation that I had to use it for 6 months or pay a $250 fee. At first I hated it. I was having wifi connection problems, rebooting problems, the touch screen was jittery, unlike the smoothness of the iPhone, etc. Then they gave us the 13.37 update, and for MY Backflip, it made a world of difference! It's much more responsive than it used to be. No more wifi or rebooting problems either. It's actually a pleasure to use now! It's pretty zippy on the internet too, not to mention the ability to multi-task. In September (quarter 3 of 2010) we're supposed to get another update going from Android 1.5 to 2.1 which should give us more app options and a few more tweeks. On September 15th my 6 months will be up and before these updates I would have went running back to my iPhone but now, to tell the truth, I think I'll be staying with the Backflip. I'm very happy with it. (I haven't tried the newest iPhone, maybe you should consider that?)

Just an added note:

I was able to fool around with an HTC Aria at one of the AT&T stores, and I immediately noticed a huge difference in swipe/touch response compared to the Backflip. Also, the Aria was actually smaller than what I imagined it to be (after looking at photos of it and whatnot). Can't wait for my Backflip's time to be up some time next year.

Well no matter what phone you get, you'll end up waiting for the contract to end so you get a better phone.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

im gonna rant with u =]
    the backflip is my very first droid too, and my backflip acts up on me too. when i turn my phone on from being off, it takes 5min to get off that "blur" screen.
    then my boyfriend got the captivate after being with iphone3g. he felt good with the captivate for about a week, but after then, he started hating it. he's a huge app user. hes alwys keeping up with new (egadget imdb etc) and the captivate kept dying on his like 5x's faster than what his iphone did. so he returned his captivate and switched to the iphone4.
    i love my backflip cuz im a huge social network girl with the "Happening", but im ready to switch to an iphone4. the backflip is so limited cuz of the 1.5. i cant download good apps cuz of the firmware. i keep hearing about the good news about 2.1 is coming soon, but after the 2.1, im already hearing "Theres already a new upgrade after 2.1!!"
    and i admit, the iphone has WAAAy better apps than what the droids on ATT has.

i do not regret getting the BF, cuz it was the first "awesome" phone ive ever had. i used to have the samsung impression before it

Alright, I had to come back to this post because of another issue I've started to notice. I was using my phone in landscape mode when someone called. As I felt the phone begin to vibrate, I immediately flipped the keyboard back so that I could talk on the phone in it's normal position. However, it took so long for the display to switch back to "portrait" mode, that I was not able to answer the call that was coming through (the screen was in the middle of transitioning). It literally took the whole duration of my phone ringing before it became accessible again. Absolutely cannot wait for my contract to renew next year.

does anyone else notice if they leave their phone on for 3-5 days it starts to get crazy slowed down to the point of you can't access apps? is there a memory issue in the os. turning it off for a minute fixes the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post
    does anyone else notice if they leave their phone on for 3-5 days it starts to get crazy slowed down to the point of you can't access apps? is there a memory issue in the os. turning it off for a minute fixes the problem...
    I've taken to resetting my phone once a day or at least once every two days. If I leave it on for too long, eventually the 3g stops working and I stop getting texts. Most phones, like computers, just need a reset everyonce in a while.

That being said, I can't wait for ATT to drop another Android with a keyboard! I'll be all over it. Until then, I'll stick with this.

I haven't noticed any issues with needing to reboot the phone. I usually go a couple of weeks before rebooting the phone. I don't believe there are any leaks in the firmware really but you may want to take a look at the apps you have running on the phone.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links