Regret getting Backflip (rambling)

This is a discussion on Regret getting Backflip (rambling) within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I seriously can't handle this phone anymore. I had the choice between an iPhone 3g or any other smart phone when it was upgrade time, ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Regret getting Backflip (rambling)

Regret getting Backflip (rambling)

I seriously can't handle this phone anymore. I had the choice between an iPhone 3g or any other smart phone when it was upgrade time, and I went with the Backflip just because the AT&T salesperson did a good job of "selling" the phone to me and making me want it. I regret not going with the iPhone.

But now that I've had it for several months, I never actually realized (until now) how much of a burden/setback it is for me. Most of it is due to the phone's slowness.

For starters, the Backflip is as slow as a turtle. When I want to unlock my phone, it usually takes a good five or so seconds from the time that I push the unlock button to the time the home screen appears. This is a huge downside, because it usually tends to happen when I need to quickly access my phone/applications. Sometimes it will only take a second, but when it doesn't, it can be pretty annoying. Same thing happens when I flip the phone open... it will take a moment for the screen to display.

Secondly, swipe response is nowhere near as good as the iPhone's. Swiping from screen to screen appears to be very jittery and laggy. (Note: I am using GDE home replacement, but I still noticed the delay when I flashed the phone to factory settings once...even with menu transitions).

Sure, widgets and running applications could slow the phone down, but it seems like the phone should be able to handle that without it being super slow. I know the Backflip doesn't exactly have the fastest processor speed either, but I just feel like it has the capability of being better in this situation.

It sucks that I got the Backflip and then a couple months later, AT&T came out with the Aria and now the Captivate, so I didn't have a chance to switch to either of those.

I mean... am I alone on this? Does anyone else notice the slowness of this phone? Whenever I fool around with someone's iPhone 3g, I'm just amazed how much of a performance difference there is. iPhone 3G has a 412Mhz processor and the Backflip has a 528Mhz processor, so shouldn't the Backflip be faster?

Maybe 2.1 will fix a lot of these issues, so we'll just have to see. But otherwise, please convince me that this phone is better than it seems!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

My wife has the iPhone 3GS and I have played with it a lot. There is no noticeable difference in performance between her phone and mine. I don't experience the kind of lag you are describing, so maybe there is something slowing down your phone. I've got plenty of apps and widgets though (but no home screen replacement). I've been really satisfied with the Backflip's speed, especially in comparison to the 3GS. I'm sorry to hear you've had such a negative experience. Obviously phones like the Captivate, EVO and Droid X are going to outperform the Backflip, but with regard to the initial decision between Backflip and iPhone, I believe you made the right choice.

I have a feeling that the 2.1 upgrade will not have much effect on performance either way, but we'll see.

Have you done the 13.37 update yet? There is a two part update available if you go to settings->about phone->system update. I saw a noticeable increase in responsiveness with this update. I have to say though that I don't recall my phone ever being as slow as you describe, there could be a problem with your unit...

Quote Originally Posted by Casual-T View Post
    I seriously can't handle this phone anymore. I had the choice between an iPhone 3g or any other smart phone when it was upgrade time, and I went with the Backflip just because the AT&T salesperson did a good job of "selling" the phone to me and making me want it. I regret not going with the iPhone.

But now that I've had it for several months, I never actually realized (until now) how much of a burden/setback it is for me. Most of it is due to the phone's slowness.

For starters, the Backflip is as slow as a turtle. When I want to unlock my phone, it usually takes a good five or so seconds from the time that I push the unlock button to the time the home screen appears. This is a huge downside, because it usually tends to happen when I need to quickly access my phone/applications. Sometimes it will only take a second, but when it doesn't, it can be pretty annoying. Same thing happens when I flip the phone open... it will take a moment for the screen to display.

Secondly, swipe response is nowhere near as good as the iPhone's. Swiping from screen to screen appears to be very jittery and laggy. (Note: I am using GDE home replacement, but I still noticed the delay when I flashed the phone to factory settings once...even with menu transitions).

Sure, widgets and running applications could slow the phone down, but it seems like the phone should be able to handle that without it being super slow. I know the Backflip doesn't exactly have the fastest processor speed either, but I just feel like it has the capability of being better in this situation.

It sucks that I got the Backflip and then a couple months later, AT&T came out with the Aria and now the Captivate, so I didn't have a chance to switch to either of those.

I mean... am I alone on this? Does anyone else notice the slowness of this phone? Whenever I fool around with someone's iPhone 3g, I'm just amazed how much of a performance difference there is. iPhone 3G has a 412Mhz processor and the Backflip has a 528Mhz processor, so shouldn't the Backflip be faster?

Maybe 2.1 will fix a lot of these issues, so we'll just have to see. But otherwise, please convince me that this phone is better than it seems!

Good post and I share some of your frustrations. My contract had expired with AT&T so I was "King of the world" as one AT&T rep told me. If you had asked me one year ago I would have said yes to an iPhone , but after having the iPod Touch for a few years I was ready for something that looked different. I did seek advice from a guy I know that had Android from the start on T-Mobile, he did advice me to wait as AT&T would have other devices coming out after the Backflip. I was impatient though and got it.

While I don't regret it I do get very frustrated with it at times and would gladly upgrade when the price is right. One thing I really hate it when I make a call that then requires me to press numbers to get through a menu I have to try and get rid of the sleeping screen that comes on when you bring the phone to your ear.

As a first device for me that runs Android it has given me a great taste for a better one.

I agree with Con150. The Backflip is my first Android phone, but I had done enough research to know that it was going to be underpowered compared to the new phones coming out this year. It basically has last years specs. However I was a little impatient, but also knew that the newer phones coming out would probably end up being out my price range (which unfortunately probably wouldn't have been the case had I been patient enough to wait).

I didn't like the way you have to sync your iPhone and I could NOT stay with my old flip feature phone any longer. That's why I got it. Compared to my old phone, this one is a DREAM.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

Hehe. My last phone was a Samsung A737 so yeah, this is the holy grail of phones compared to that.

When I got this phone, I figured I'd end up upgrading by the end of the year anyways. It is generally fast enough for me. The only issue I have is the occasional black screen when an app freezes while exiting.

Seriously, though, faster specs with this design and it could have been a serious winner.

I too came to Backflip from an iPhone3G (jailbroken and unlocked). I miss the iPhones super smooth & responsive touch screen. But I have to admit, the Backflip is much faster in my experience. To me, the iPhone is like going back to dial-up. I still use the iPhone for Skype though, and it's great! I wish we could get a decent Android Skype app. Can anyone explain to me why we can't? :confused:

It's most likely in the works.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links