Now legal to root our phones?

This is a discussion on Now legal to root our phones? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I'm rather hopeful(yet extremely doubtful) that this might spur some google employees to start helping in the rooting process. That or have Google just build ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now legal to root our phones?

I'm rather hopeful(yet extremely doubtful) that this might spur some google employees to start helping in the rooting process. That or have Google just build something that'll root the damn thing for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawnses View Post
    I'm rather hopeful(yet extremely doubtful) that this might spur some google employees to start helping in the rooting process. That or have Google just build something that'll root the damn thing for us.
    I don't know if that would be in Google's best interest though. Manufacturers and carriers may take offense if they perceive that Google is trying to undermine their efforts.

Here's the thing. ATT's statement as to why they chose to block unofficial apps makes sense, "from a certain point of view". They're right in that anybody can post their app in the Market, and make the developer take some amount of responsibility if the app they created eats your cat and kills your pet goldfish. Same with Motorola's stance on locking down all of their phones. From a support perspective, people attempting to root and breaking phones or people not properly flashing a custom ROM to the phones causing enormous headaches for them. Their decision is to lock the phones down to try and reduce that headache as much as possible.

Unfortunately those views don't mesh well with some (not all or probably even most) of their customers. The more tech savvy among the users want full root access to their phones to push the limits of what they can do with the phone; they want to install apps that may not be found in the market; they want custom ROMS so they don't have to rely or wait on official software upgrades.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Quote Originally Posted by mcpweev View Post
    I agree, Big B.
    We've got a great operating system, designed to be customized and added on to, but I feel like I got suckered into buying the backflip since motorola and AT&T blocked so much of what we have fun doing.
    As much as I hate to admit it, just because google puts the operating system out there doesn't mean that every company who uses it has to adhere to that same open source mentality. They don't have much reason to anyways, considering most android users won't ever get more advanced than loading apps off the market, and won't notice that Motorola and AT&T put any restrictions on the phone. We're definately a minority.
    I rather keep with the simple tasks. I use my phone to handle my email, browse the web, load apps... other meager tasks. However, I rather dump the bloatware, and actually put google search on it. And perhaps an actual MP3 Media player that isn't the ****ty AT&T type. (I haven't searched the market for a new one however).
    I also just like to have freedom over my phone. I bought it, I might as well have access to its goods. Like updating to more recent firmware, other than waiting for motorola to move their slow asses.

Buying the backflip taught me a very good lesson. Stop buying Motorola, even though my previous motos were excellent all thanks to all the awesome help from M3. I still know a few people within motorola.. maybe its time I should "bump" into them with a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Big ***** View Post
    And perhaps an actual MP3 Media player that isn't the ****ty AT&T type. (I haven't searched the market for a new one however).
    You might like MixZing. It's got a decent UI and a good widget with three size choices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links