Data/Wi-Fi

This is a discussion on Data/Wi-Fi within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; So I just recently got this Motorola Backflip. Started using and really like it thus far. How do I surf the net and make sure ...

Thread: Data/Wi-Fi

Data/Wi-Fi

So I just recently got this Motorola Backflip. Started using and really like it thus far. How do I surf the net and make sure it is using my WiFi to surf and not my data? I talked to an AT&T representative and he said if it is connected to WiFi it will automatically use this instead of data, well I am finding that hard to believe because when I first got the phone I didnt have a data plan and thought its okay I will only surf or do anything when I am connected to my WiFi source. With doing this I still managed to rack up 7mb of data on my plan at $2/mb. So I upgraded to the data plan, which is fine with me. But I wanna surf now and only want to use my Wi-Fi the phone says its connected, but how can I be sure its using this instead of my data?

Also is this new update worth it? Just curious who has done it and whether they like it or not. Thanks and looking forward to becoming a part of the community.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

get the app called "APN OnOff" from the market and it will disable your 3g completely eliminating any "accidental usage" however turning this off will remove your ability to recieve mms or picture messages, but it is a widget, so you can simply press it to turn it on again when you are expecting something. If you get the blue wifi icon and 3g icon is hidden, you /are/ on wifi.

The update, aside from the clock fix and text messaging fix, the rest of the changes are hardly noticable, probably still worth getting though.

Thanks for the response that helped a lot. I am still getting used to the phone and right now I am connected to my network and see the wifi signal and no 3g symbol so I guess that means I am using wifi not data. That makes me feel better. Also I downloaded that APN onoff there was a regular one and a widget one I downloaded the widget one and now when I click on the app it says Thanks for installing APN on/off This program is a widget and you can add it to your desktop by clicking on desktop and then select widgets and then select apn on/off. Where is this at? it only says this nothing else is the app working? Thanks.

The ATT rep was correct. When you are connected to wifi, the cellular data is disabled. If there is no wifi connection though, it will automatically switch back to cell data. As koriflame mentioned though, you can install APNdroid to manually disable cellular data. It does have an option though to still receive MMS messages
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

The widget can be installed/run if you go back to your home screen, press and hold on an empty spot on your wallpaper, and select 'widgets' when the Add to Home Screen pop up comes up. then you can find your widget. I haven't installed the APNdroid widget, but I'm pretty sure that's how you do it.

Thanks a lot everyone this helped alot. I think I have a trial version of Shazaam as I like using it. Is there a 100% free version it says I only have 7 days of tagging, not sure what that means. I only would like it to identify music for me.
    Also two other applications I am interested in is the Dog whistle I saw on a friends but dont know the name of, and is there an app to turn your android into a universal remote control for tv's and such?

You can maybe try SoundHound. I think it's kind of the same setup as Shazam now though. I was an early adopter of Shazam so I still get the "paid" version for free. For an explanation of Shazam you can read their blog post explaining their changes (going from free to freemium/paid).

A snippet from the blog:
    Shazam has two consumer offerings:

Shazam: A free to download app supported by advertising, with core functionality and ability to identify up to 5 songs per month
    Shazam Encore: A premium version of the app with no advertising, unlimited tagging and additional features.

I just got Motorola Media Link, similar to Motorola Phone Tools that I had been using for my RAZR2 V9x.. I love these programs because they easily let you transfer music, videos, contacts, ect.. Well at least the media stuff, I'm still looking for a section in Media Link for SYNC'n of contacts. I also am still looking for an internet connection section in Media Link. With MPT & my V9x, I was able to open MPT up, have my V9x connected to my laptop via USB & then surf the internet basically using my RAZR2 at an antenna and be like on the Metra Train surfing da web on my laptop's Internet Explorer, (tethering I believe its called)..

I'm hoping I can still do the same with Media Link using my BackFlip. Anyone been using Media Link yet? ..Also, whats the difference between Motorola Media Link vs. Windows Mobile® Device Center(WMDC)/ActiveSync..? They both seem to do most of the same things so Ive been hesitant to download WMDC cause i dont wanna just have more junk/programs clogging my laptop nor any conflicts.

Oh, & I know this has been long, but one more thing.. Does anyone know when there will FINALLY be an update for our backflip's!! ..to a better/newer version of Android?? I mean DAMN!! Att & Motorola have been promising ME this for months ever since it first came out, always saying in another month or so every time I spoke to MOTO.. And I'm also interested in getting info about if my Backflip has an INFRARED data transfer option.. I think it has Infrared on it but not sure, nor on how to use it even if it does or has any software or apps. for doing transfers or anything. Maybe I can just get a BlueTooth Dongle to do this. I mean I know I already have MML & a USB to do pretty much anything I want, but its always cool to have everything and have all options available to ya!

Hey, thanks guy's! I'm pretty new to this whole discussion board & blog'n chat kinda stuff.. was never really interested in these kind of things until i wised up & see how I can be part of a community who's interests are similar to mine.. THANKS 4ANY HELP & DIRECTION/SUGGESTIONS THAT ARE OFFERED! -Christian

Quote Originally Posted by FullaBlarney View Post
    I just got Motorola Media Link, similar to Motorola Phone Tools that I had been using for my RAZR2 V9x.. I love these programs because they easily let you transfer music, videos, contacts, ect.. Well at least the media stuff, I'm still looking for a section in Media Link for SYNC'n of contacts. I also am still looking for an internet connection section in Media Link. With MPT & my V9x, I was able to open MPT up, have my V9x connected to my laptop via USB & then surf the internet basically using my RAZR2 at an antenna and be like on the Metra Train surfing da web on my laptop's Internet Explorer, (tethering I believe its called)..

I'm hoping I can still do the same with Media Link using my BackFlip. Anyone been using Media Link yet? ..Also, whats the difference between Motorola Media Link vs. Windows Mobile® Device Center(WMDC)/ActiveSync..? They both seem to do most of the same things so Ive been hesitant to download WMDC cause i dont wanna just have more junk/programs clogging my laptop nor any conflicts.
    I didnt quite read this word for word as it seemed to ramble a bit, but first things first. Start your own thread rather then hijack another thread not related to your post.

No you can not tether, not yet anyways as far as I know. We need the phone rooted for tethering use.

Oh, & I know this has been long, but one more thing.. Does anyone know when there will FINALLY be an update for our backflip's!! ..to a better/newer version of Android?? I mean DAMN!! Att & Motorola have been promising ME this for months ever since it first came out, always saying in another month or so every time I spoke to MOTO.. And I'm also interested in getting info about if my Backflip has an INFRARED data transfer option.. I think it has Infrared on it but not sure, nor on how to use it even if it does or has any software or apps. for doing transfers or anything. Maybe I can just get a BlueTooth Dongle to do this. I mean I know I already have MML & a USB to do pretty much anything I want, but its always cool to have everything and have all options available to ya!

Hey, thanks guy's! I'm pretty new to this whole discussion board & blog'n chat kinda stuff.. was never really interested in these kind of things until i wised up & see how I can be part of a community who's interests are similar to mine.. THANKS 4ANY HELP & DIRECTION/SUGGESTIONS THAT ARE OFFERED! -Christian
    In regards to an update, Motorola simply said an update is coming, but gave no ETA. As of roughly 2 months ago they said 2.1, i believe, would be pushed out to the Backflip in Quarter 3 of this year. Quarter 3 of the year isnt over yet, and so far they have not indicated they will not meet that release date, so untill they do, be patient and quit blaming Moto for an update that was originally only promised to come sooner or later. Plus your speaking to reps. Most of the time I think it is just a job to put money in the employees pocket, and better then working at McDonalds flipping burgers. They really could care less about the technology of the products they deal with.

Now you ramble in to Infrared and all this. I suppose the Backflip may have an infrared port for detecting when the phone has been pulled away from your face, but I doubt it is capable of file transfer. If you want to transfer files you could use bluetooth, or even put your phone on wifi, and then use an app like aFile Lite to transfer files via your home wireless network. Personally I use aFile although it would be nice if it had a more responsive UI.

To agree with Tech, you probably should start your own post. I do just want to clear up one thing though. I don't believe it is possible to tether using MediaLink, but there are tethering apps in the Market which allow you to tether using your USB connection. PDAnet and EasyTether being the most popular ones. In your to install them you'll either need to pull your SIM card out of the phone and install it from the Market using Wifi (ATT blocks tethering apps from the Market), or go to their website and then sideload the apps using the ADB method.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links