Just got my backflip today

This is a discussion on Just got my backflip today within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; got it for free too when i told att that i was going w/ verizon. anyways, first android phone and i'm letting it charge like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got my backflip today

Question Just got my backflip today

got it for free too when i told att that i was going w/ verizon.

anyways, first android phone and i'm letting it charge like the quick start says too. any suggestions as to what i should do to start with up to the point where i would start getting apps and using the phone.

like a first time setup list or something?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Covered in other threads already, but I guess they're old threads. Here's what I did: factory data reset before anything else. Once that's done and you've signed into your motoblur account, format your SD card while it's in your phone. Then get to configuring all the settings to your liking (setup wifi, ringtones, display options, etc.). To get decent battery life it's generally recommended to set your battery profile to smart mode and turn off the 'use wireless networks' option in My Location sources, among other things (lots of threads on the forum about this). Some people also turn off google sync, although I personally keep it on without a problem.

At this point you should be able to get working on your home screens (widget and app shortcut layout) and start installing apps from the market. See the many threads about common/recommended apps.

Download the OTA update!

i did check for the update and it came on it.

i did disable the google sync, but i had gps and wifi on last night for about 6 hours while i surfed the net and made a couple calls. battery fell to 67% by 11pm last night. it's 1pm now and i'm at 54%.

2 things are bugging me and might be fixed with a reset, dunno, but when i call people, they complain that i sound muffled. and i can't get a gps lock for anything. when i turn on cell towers, i get 'within 4000 meters'

Quote Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post
    i did check for the update and it came on it.

i did disable the google sync, but i had gps and wifi on last night for about 6 hours while i surfed the net and made a couple calls. battery fell to 67% by 11pm last night. it's 1pm now and i'm at 54%.

2 things are bugging me and might be fixed with a reset, dunno, but when i call people, they complain that i sound muffled. and i can't get a gps lock for anything. when i turn on cell towers, i get 'within 4000 meters'
    Welcome to the Andorid Team. The muffled sound is something that has haunted blackflip users since day one. Most people said if they hold the bottom of the phone away from the face it helps A LOT. As far as GPS are you inside or outside when trying to use it. I have had no problems with GPS.

ok, so my gps works like a charm, aslong as i have the tower assistance turned on. pretty accurate too. but it will not get a lock with only the gps chip on no matter how long i wait.

and this call qualtiy is REALLY getting annoying. everyone is telling me they either can barely understand me, or just hang up 'cause it's so bad. holding it away like you said results in no change i'm told. though if i press it hard against my head and cover the entire back, they say it's damn near perfect, but i can hear myself talking in the mic louder than i'm talking (like over powering feedback)

Turning "HAC mode" on completely fixes the muffled voice problem for me, but it does have some side effects like playing certain sounds through the small speaker on the front of the phone instead of the main one and reducing the volume of recorded movies...

Settings->Call settings->HAC Mode Settings

i tried that out too. 2 people reported that it didn't make a bit of difference on or off. even power cycled the phone to make sure. and i did notice w/ it on, atleast half the sounds from clicking the screen and what not where gone.

did morotola really make a smartphone that lacks the ability to make a decent call??? or is this a possible fix in 2.1?? if not i may try calling att to get a replacement.

don't know if it is related, but when i talk on the phone, whoever i'm talking to comes through to me as ungodly loud and i have my volume at like 1/4 for almost every call.

Hmm... If none of these suggestions work for you, it could even be that your problem is not the normal microphone over-sensitivity issue I and others have been having... Either way, I think I would see if I could swap out my Backflip for a new one if I were you.

But yeah, this issue is pretty annoying and I'm surprised Motorola didn't address it in the 13.37 update. It seems like it must be something that could be addressed with software since changing the HAC setting fixes it for most people. On the other hand, this doesn't affect everyone, and I'm not sure how many people are really having a problem with it. Oh well, hopefully it will be fixed with 2.1...

The strange thing is that I didn't have any problems for the first couple months, then it just started all of a sudden. Maybe I just changed the way I was holding it or something, I dunno...

for battery preservation is battery saver mode or smart mode better??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links