AT&T Microcell and Using Wireless Geolocation

This is a discussion on AT&T Microcell and Using Wireless Geolocation within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Well here is a good one and may explain why my GPS goes haywire every day. I have a AT&T Microcell and have just enabled ...

Thread: AT&T Microcell and Using Wireless Geolocation

AT&T Microcell and Using Wireless Geolocation

Well here is a good one and may explain why my GPS goes haywire every day. I have
    a AT&T Microcell and have just enabled "Use Wireless Networks" on the Locations & Compass settings page. I wanted to see where Beautiful Widgets weather would locate me vs. me putting in my current location.

Well when I did this, my phone now thinks it is in Kenosha WI and I am in the Chicago suburbs. Very strange. I have always had enabled GPS satellites but never the "use wireless networks".

I think Android is getting confusing information from both the GPS and Wireless 3G networks when I am at home and then it carries over when I use the GPS going to/from work and then just locks up the GPS radio.

I am also going to report this on the AT&T forums to see if I can get a response from AT&T directly.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

through the microcell, it's prolly reading the gps location of your isp office, or one of the main routers that are local.

Well the strangest thing happens when I turn off the GPS bring up AT&T maps it shows my location based on a cell location and it right at my address. The pin is exactly where my house is with the radius of what is to be expected from the microcell. So some way AT&T is able to know where the microcell is registered. It must be the Google database that the Beautiful Widgets uses that shows the Kenosha WI location. This may be where AT&T is terminating the IP connectivity for my Microcell but who really knows. When I step outside of my house and connect to my normal tower Beautiful Widgets displays the right weather report. Oh well....I just won't enable this feature.

the microcell itself has a gps chip in it. that's why the recomend the first time install be near a window. used to make sure you're in the US and in the right market when you activate it.

I am aware of the microcell uses GPS for 911 service location. This information is some how delivered to the AT&T maps program which is cool and scary at the same time.

would make sense being that it's used to verify that you are where you told them you are, lol.

i just wonder though if that location is public for att GPS on other agps phones and if someone that isn't granted access on your microcell can still pick up the location though it. starting to get curious now just to see the inards of this microcell and it's os. we know exactly what our wireless routers are doing... is the microcell as open?

Microcell is "closed" and no other phones can register with it unless you add their number to your management page on the AT&T Website. I have seen pictures of the hardware and some other posts on spoofing the GPS so you can get away with moving it to almost anywhere in North America. I have tried to telnet and ssh into it with no luck and it doesn't seem to have a web page even though port 8088 seems to be open.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links