Will rooting phone mess us up when official 2.1 update comes out?

This is a discussion on Will rooting phone mess us up when official 2.1 update comes out? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I've already rooted and it's great so far. Removing the ATT bloatware (via Titanium Backup) seems to have done wonders for the performance of my ...

Thread: Will rooting phone mess us up when official 2.1 update comes out?

Will rooting phone mess us up when official 2.1 update comes out?

I've already rooted and it's great so far. Removing the ATT bloatware (via Titanium Backup) seems to have done wonders for the performance of my phone.

But what are the chances that rooting will make it so I can't move to Android 2.1 once Motorola releases it? I suppose it will be a relatively easy matter to "un-root", update and then "re-root" once it's complete. I don't think I want to give up root access. I hope to have full uncensored Market access tomorrow (gonna install MarketAccess.apk via adb when I get to work) and if that works I'll be golden. Can't wait!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I could be wrong but the only problem you may have is you won't get the OTA if you've got a different recovery. Even then you can still download the update.zip. That was my experience with My Nexus One but you never can tell seeing what Motorola is pulling on Droid X owners who flashed a custom rom.

Even with a custom recovery our ota should work fine. There is a big difference between custom recovery and custom rom. Just don't get delete happy and remove the ota data

Sent From My Rooted Motorola Backflip via Tapatalk Pro

If you believe Motorola, according to their official blog site (very much like this one and the name escapes me at the moment) if we have a rooted Backflip we will not beable to upgrade to 2.1. But they did mention it being dependent on the recovery image

Quote Originally Posted by jdsatyr View Post
    If you believe Motorola, according to their official blog site (very much like this one and the name escapes me at the moment) if we have a rooted Backflip we will not beable to upgrade to 2.1. But they did mention it being dependent on the recovery image
    If that's the case, then I would think it's a simple matter to restore the phone to factory spec using the official software (there is a thread for that).

Sent from my ROOTED MB300 using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by broggyr View Post
    If that's the case, then I would think it's a simple matter to restore the phone to factory spec using the official software (there is a thread for that).

Sent from my ROOTED MB300 using Tapatalk Pro
    # cosign. Exactly what i came to put

Sent From My Rooted Motorola Backflip via Tapatalk Pro

yep, that was the deal with my Nexus One going into Froyo. Those of us with custom recoveries couldn't get the official OTA unless we went back to stock recovery. Of course the update.zip was available so why bother.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links