Just got my Backflip [First Impressions]

This is a discussion on Just got my Backflip [First Impressions] within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I have been using a Nokia E71 (think Euro-Blackberry) for the longest time, and I have been very happy with it. The screen, while small ...

Thread: Just got my Backflip [First Impressions]

Post Just got my Backflip [First Impressions]

I have been using a Nokia E71 (think Euro-Blackberry) for the longest time, and I have been very happy with it. The screen, while small and non-touch enabled, is fine for my non sophisticated needs, and Google Maps and the Twitter client (from a German developer, named Gravity) were updated often and worked great. The keyboard was, like the rest of the hardware, excellent and far ahead of it's time (I got my phone in the winter of '08, it boasted GPS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth when most of the Blackberrys were struggling to get all three on). But, with time, I saw that other platforms were getting more and more advanced Google Maps updates, and the US version of the phone had never seen a major firmware update since I had gotten it (the European customers were treated much better, they saw updates about every other month). When the buttons started to fall off the keyboard, when the (non-USB) plug became loose, I hung onto it, because it was expensive ($350 without contract) and also because Nokia refused to repair it, citing "water damage."

With time, the answer became obvious. I need to switch to an Android phone. I wasn't ready to give up my AT&T contract yet, I just wanted to get my toe in the water before jumping into the pool. So, I started looking on eBay for a cheap Android phone that could run on AT&T. It didn't take me long to find the unloved Backflip. AT&T's first Android phone was slow, poorly designed and totally crippled. Stuck at 1.5 and unable to be rooted for the longest time, it had a lot to be desired. But, more importantly, it was cheap, with phones regularly trading in the $125 range. I found one stuck in "Safe Mode," which should be an easy fix to get out of, and won it at only $80.

Needless to say, the damn thing is still stuck in safe mode, though I rooted it, I cannot restore the flash image because it's got some kind of bug that blocks me from starting the bootloader. And, it will probably have to go back, because the speaker on the phone wobbles and no one can hear me when I am speaking. I have to use the horrible on-screen keyboard, several keys on the physical keyboard don't work. I cannot start any apps in safe mode, and even if I could get out, nothing interesting runs in v1.5 that I am stuck with.

But, I'm finding that it doesn't matter!

Without the SIM card, running in Wi-Fi mode, I can access my Gmail and my Google Talk (but not my Google Voice, it's another app). I can browse, and fast! I haven't gone to YouTube yet, but I think that I am going to like the performance on that. I can't believe it, but I am using my new Backflip as a cheap cheap subnotebook!

I suppose it's really a testament to the Google Android developers for making the phone as fast as it is, being as good as it is in spite of the hardware provider and carrier. I know I am looking forward to my next Google phone, and I know that it will likely be a HTC on Verizon running the upcoming Android 3.0.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Manila, Philippines
    First off, congratulations on your new Backflip!

Next, pardon my ignorance but what does Safe Mode look like?

When my backflip was still locked, I used it as a netbook as well. After the unlock, everything was even better. I don't mind being on 1.5, although the update to 2.1 would be great!

Additionally, although your issues sound like hardware problems, the only way to be really sure was if you re-flashed. That being said, I'm sure there's a way to flash it.

If you can post screenshots, I'll try to help you out. And I'm sure a lot of people here will help you out too...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links