I have to say, it's not so bad as some think ;)

This is a discussion on I have to say, it's not so bad as some think ;) within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; So I ran out and got a backflip back when they launched, it was my first android and I was excited regardless of what people ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have to say, it's not so bad as some think ;)

I have to say, it's not so bad as some think ;)

So I ran out and got a backflip back when they launched, it was my first android and I was excited regardless of what people were saying, and life was good. A couple of months in I couldn't stand the limits placed on the poor little thing any more so I got a captivate, and life was good. Love my captivate but not really in love with sticking it in my pocket, especially since winter is on it's way and I'll be cramming it in jeans pockets (I don't wear jackets a ton, only when it's VERY cold...I live in GA and rather like somewhat cold). I start to think maybe I should have went with, or maybe just get, the Aria, but then realize I HAVE a small android....the Backflip! Life is ponderous. Too bad the backflip is 1.5, I just can NOT go back to that now, especially since I've been running cognition 2.2 on my captivate. Life is disappointing. Behold, root and 2.1 for backflip! Follow the directions, and in 30 minutes you are rooted, unrestricted, and upgraded to 2.1! Life is again, GOOD.

tl;dr follow the instructions and root your dang backflip already, it's super easy, even for a nub like me, then flash to 2.1 easily as well. Just DO it already! >.<

yeah, yeah, I know I won't ignore my captivate for long, but now I have a real choice in what phone to rock on a daily basis.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Hilarious , good stuff......I'll just wait out the upgrade now though.

i'm concernered with possible issues we may encounter when the real 2.1 comes out for the phone. and also some of the complications that have come from trying to change SD cards. being that this forsaken phone is my only line, i don't think i should mess w/ it yet.

any idea if the phone insurance is still valid on a modded phone? or is that something i could just hit it w/ a hammer and get taken care of?

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post
    i'm concernered with possible issues we may encounter when the real 2.1 comes out for the phone. and also some of the complications that have come from trying to change SD cards. being that this forsaken phone is my only line, i don't think i should mess w/ it yet.

any idea if the phone insurance is still valid on a modded phone? or is that something i could just hit it w/ a hammer and get taken care of?
    The rooting and 2.1 flash in absolutely NO way modifies the hardware on your handset. It's a simple matter of restoring if you have issues, then if you still have issues, you can call in for warranty. Software modding is completely different than hardware modding. Software modding can always be un-done if you know what you're doing in the first place.

Also, when the REAL 2.1 update comes out, I'm not upgrading to it. If you'd like to upgrade to the OEM update, just restore you're phone to Blur 13.37 and hit update. I'll wait until someone mods the OEM 2.1 ROM and takes out all that crapware, and actually puts some useful stuff with it. Right now my Backflip isn't being used because I bought it outright, and I just recently got an Aria to replace it for "day to day".

^problem is people arent going to use Preclair when Moto launches 2.1, if they wont already, so while they may get 2.1 it will likley have the same locked down restrictions as the backflip did in 1.5. If people can read and follow directions they will have no problems. However thats the problem, most people these days do not have the patient to read these days.
    Motus MB300(Backflip)_2.1 Preclair Beta1 by j_r0dd

Quote Originally Posted by TechN9ne1730 View Post
    ^problem is people arent going to use Preclair when Moto launches 2.1, if they wont already, so while they may get 2.1 it will likley have the same locked down restrictions as the backflip did in 1.5. If people can read and follow directions they will have no problems. However thats the problem, most people these days do not have the patient to read these days.
    Amen.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

I also bought a Backflip the day it was introduced. I was developing for the Android market and needed an Android phone but I was already and AT&T customer. I like the phone at first, but soon some of the limitations started to annoy me. Like earlier posters, I rooted the phone and installed preclair. I also partitioned my SD card and set it up so all my apps go on the SD card. Needless to say, this is a WHOLE NEW PHONE! I'm much happier now. The phone seems snappier, my battery life is better, I have access to more apps, and no more "low memory" errors! So it seems that most of BFs problems are software, not hardware. I'm not sure what I'll do when "official" 2.1 comes out as it's now a moot point.

gwalborn

Quote Originally Posted by gwalborn View Post
    I'm not sure what I'll do when "official" 2.1 comes out as it's now a moot point.
    Upgrade to a newer ROM Being a Dev you may already know, but right now the fact we have an old kernel on the phone is holding back some functions of preclair like swap space and hardware acceleration. So the good thing about Moto pushing out a 2.1 update, we get a new kernel and people like J-r0dd can then further expand there roms. So while I dont really care to run 2.1 stock, I knowing it opens more doors for us does make me a bit anxious to see 2.1 in the wild!
    Motus MB300(Backflip)_2.1 Preclair Beta1 by j_r0dd

watching around at the 2.1 beta discussions, it also seems that a bunch of people are having totally different issues w/ the preclair (i guess is what it's called, lol) are these coming out because it's a beta, or is most of it just people not following directions properly?

To TechN9ne1730:
    What I meant by that "not sure" remark is that I'm not sure what I'll do when the official 2.1 FIRST comes out! :-) I'm not experiencing many problems w/ preclair and I certainly won't give up root JUST to have an official 2.1 release. If it produces a better 2.1 firmware ROM, I'll absolutely consider THAT. Which bring me to wdeydwondrer's question...

I'm an Android developer and quite experienced with Linux. For me, the rooting/flashing process was pretty simple, but it is somewhat involved and there might some risks, particularly if it's done improperly. Having said that, I'm quite pleased with the result. 2.1 preclair is not perfect, but, as I said, it really changed the way I perceive my Backflip. I'm so much happier with the BF now that it's rooted and running 2.1 that I'd change phones before I went back to 1.5. I've had a couple of small issues w/ Bluetooth, the camera, and charging, but overall 2.1 has been a tremendous improvement. I'm sure there are better things to come.

gwalborn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links