Backflip to see eclair 2.1 soon.

This is a discussion on Backflip to see eclair 2.1 soon. within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; ive tried to root my phone. But my computer is a mac running off of panther so its very hard to. And im not going ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backflip to see eclair 2.1 soon.

ive tried to root my phone. But my computer is a mac running off of panther so its very hard to. And im not going over my girlfriends house in a couple of weeks.

We are not going to get ANY OpenGL/3d improvements from the Cliq 2.1 upgrade plain and simple. The driver for this is different between the two devices. Like everyone else has said were stuck til Moto updates the Backflip.

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

@Monotremata: that's unfortunate, I also understand it's a kernel compatibility issue. Moto's so-called open source doesn't include sources for the hardware drivers then, I assume? Proprietary blobs kinda like NVidia/Linux drivers?

@tngwgoa: You should be able to do it mostly from the handset itself, all you need to do is push/copy rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin to your /sdcard/ and then install Terminal Emulator (or ConnectBot, if you prefer) from the Market, and open a shell on the phone. From there, do this:
    Code:
    $ cd /sqlite_stmt_journals
    $ busybox cp /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin .
    $ chmod 0777 r*
    $ ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    ..at which point it will say something about forking XXXX childs..
    Wait for your $ prompt to return (it takes 20-30 seconds usually, you may need to touch the screen to prevent the phone from sleeping, but don't type/click/press anything else while you're waiting!) and then type exit and close the shell (or ^D - quicker.. hold down OK on the keyboard and then press D). Next, open it again (long-press HOME is quickest) and if the exploit was successful, you should instantly be at a # prompt, meaning You Can Haz Root! Next step would be to push j_r0dd's recovery, and then do a
    Code:
    # flash_image recovery /sdcard/j_r0dd-mb200-v1.7.6.img
    which will allow you to flash Preclair and any other ROMs/mods you want. To instantly go to happy-flashy mode, assuming you've copied your desired ROMs/mods to your /sdcard/, you can do this right after flashing the j_r0dd recovery:
    Code:
    # reboot recovery
    and you won't have to mess about with rebooting and holding the CAMERA button and all that stuff. The above command will reboot the phone into recovery mode, from which you can apply ZIPs/updates/etc.. Über handy, it is.

Hope this helps.
    --W5i2

Quote Originally Posted by weasel5i2 View Post
    Just use Preclair b4, it only lacks 100% OGL support, other than that it works fine.

As soon as 2.1 is released for Cliq, or if we can intercept the tester release of Backflip 2.1, the OGL driver issue will be resolved and then we'll have a 100% working 2.1 ROM for Backflip.

M3: [ROM] Preclair Beta4 yes this is 2.1! 10.22.10

The Fushion rom is also based on Preclair, but minus the MOTOBLUR™ crap..

M3: [ROM] Fushion

--W5i2
    what does OGL support mean? and how do we flash our phones so it works with other roms ?

Quote Originally Posted by ChinoSun View Post
    what does OGL support mean? and how do we flash our phones so it works with other roms ?
    OGL = OpenGL = 3D graphics support - but I am mistaken about that, as Monotremata has informed me, so don't listen to me re: Backflip 3D support.

To be able to flash other ROMs on your phone, you need to root it first and then flash j_r0dd's recovery on it (which will allow unsigned updates to be installed, thus bypassing the CID-style locking imposed by Moto/AT&T.)

M3: Rooting your Backflip: [ROOT] All versions of Backflip
    M3: j_r0dd's recovery: [RECOVERY] j_r0dd-mb300-v1.7.6 FINAL (10.5.10)
    M3: ROMs for the Backflip: Motorola Backflip Roms

See my instructions above for tngwgoa for better details on how to do it. At least, how it worked for me.

--W5i2

alright weasel5i2. Thank you alot but i really need your help. I get to the very end of the code the part where i do this ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin and everytime i get a cant link executable. Please help me. Ive tried a couple of things but everytime the connect wont link up the file.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel5i2 View Post
    @Monotremata: that's unfortunate, I also understand it's a kernel compatibility issue. Moto's so-called open source doesn't include sources for the hardware drivers then, I assume? Proprietary blobs kinda like NVidia/Linux drivers?
    Nope. HTC is the only one to make their drivers available to the open source community, through AOSP.

Regardless, Motorola hasn't released the source code yet for the Cliq(XT)/Backflip 2.1 software, so that code would't be available at this point anyway. What Monotremata was saying I believe is that the OpenGL drivers for the Cliq and the Backflip are different, so until the update is available or leaked for the Backflip, we can't just use the OGL drivers for the Cliq on the Backflip (whereas pretty much all the other code is shared).
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Yeah folks were asking about using the same drivers and whatnot in the gigantic 2.1 thread on Motos forums and we were told that the two code bases finally diverged when it came to the new OpenGL drivers.. Guess they werent kidding when they said it was problematic.. Im not too sure on the details of the OS to be honest.. When the latest Cliq leak hit, it had 3d acceleration on it.. Someone did some poking around and j_r0dd himself mentioned something to the effect of he wasnt even aware the 3d stuff was in the kernel itself and he was going to look into it for the Backflip.. Maybe its the way Moto builds it but that does seem kinda odd that its all integrated like that...

Guess the Cliq has had another setback and got a new interim update so they can 'ease' into the 2.1 upgrade which didnt work so well.. Yay more waiting on Moto for our own upgrade..

I wonder if theres an HTC phone out there with the same specs as the Backflip?? Id love an AOSP rom as long as it worked 100%!!!

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    Regardless, Motorola hasn't released the source code yet for the Cliq(XT)/Backflip 2.1 software, so that code would't be available at this point anyway. What Monotremata was saying I believe is that the OpenGL drivers for the Cliq and the Backflip are different, so until the update is available or leaked for the Backflip, we can't just use the OGL drivers for the Cliq on the Backflip (whereas pretty much all the other code is shared).
    I don't understand why. The platform is EXACTLY the same (MSM7201a). And they both have the exact same Adreno 130 graphics chip, and the only thing that's different is the radio baseband frequencies. I don't understand what is so different as to the OpenGL driver wouldn't be the same, or at least 99.999% similar.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links