LED flash??

This is a discussion on LED flash?? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Ok so im sure many of you get this alot but right next to the speaker on the front side of the phone (upper right ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED flash??

Question LED flash??

Ok so im sure many of you get this alot but right next to the speaker on the front side of the phone (upper right hand corner) is what appears to be a red light of some sort. Is this the LED flash and if it is how do I get it to work?? That light hasn't turned on (or flashed) since i bought the phone back in June. Im just curious as to why they would put a feature like this on the phone and not have it be compatible with anything. Or am i just stubborn and didnt turn something on that needed to be activated? Well whatever the case is, how do I turn it on?

thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I believe what you are describing is not the LED flash (this is on the keyboard next to the camera lense) but rather the proximity sensor to detect when the phone is near your face/head to disable the screen preventing accidental touches.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

awesome thank you very much. I kept hearing different responses about the LED flash and i read one post saying that the light was red/green and my immediated assumption was that thing next to the speaker. But even still i have never seen the LED "camara" flash lol illuminate (only when using the camara). Kinda strange but im relieved that it wasnt my initial thought thinking that it might have been broken.

You might have the flash turned off. When you have the the camera app open, hit menu->flash, then make sure it is set to Auto (only activates flash when it is dark and you take a picture) or On (activates whenever you take a picture).

You can also download BACKFLIP Light from the market to make sure your LED is working. This is a program that lets you use the LED as a flashlight.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    There are actually two sensors on the front. Ambient Light Sensor, and the Proximity Sensor. Those handle automatic screen brightness adjustment, and turning off the screen/touch input when you put the phone to your ear for a call.

In my experience the proximity sensor sucks. I often have to move the phone around when removing it from my face to hang up a call because the screen turns off to quick when I remove the phone from my ear. And before I used Ted's Droid Tools Call lock screen, apparently I was dropping calls like crazy because I would hit the hang up button with another part of my face. After installing the tools, I dont drop nearly as many calls.
    Motus MB300(Backflip)_2.1 Preclair Beta1 by j_r0dd

yeah i do have that app. My flash does work fine its just the fact that it dosent respond to any of the applications that enable the use of the flash as a means of alerts. Its all good i was just curious. Im actually quite excited for android 2.1 to be coming out for the backflip so im looking foward to that.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by TechN9ne1730 View Post
    In my experience the proximity sensor sucks. I often have to move the phone around when removing it from my face to hang up a call because the screen turns off to quick when I remove the phone from my ear. And before I used Ted's Droid Tools Call lock screen, apparently I was dropping calls like crazy because I would hit the hang up button with another part of my face. After installing the tools, I dont drop nearly as many calls.
    If you have the 2.1 ROM, then you can adjust the polling frequency of the proximity and light sensors to better adjust the screen on/off and the backlight auto brightness. That would be fixing it on the most basic level.

Quote Originally Posted by detroithockey57 View Post
    yeah i do have that app. My flash does work fine its just the fact that it dosent respond to any of the applications that enable the use of the flash as a means of alerts. Its all good i was just curious. Im actually quite excited for android 2.1 to be coming out for the backflip so im looking foward to that.
    AFAIK, the flash has never been used for notifications. The side green charging LED is used for notifications in j_rodd's 2.1 ROM. The camera flash flashing for notifications would drain the battery _fast_.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    If you have the 2.1 ROM, then you can adjust the polling frequency of the proximity and light sensors to better adjust the screen on/off and the backlight auto brightness. That would be fixing it on the most basic level.
    How do I do that? I have noticed auto brightness but nothing about the proximity sensor.
    Motus MB300(Backflip)_2.1 Preclair Beta1 by j_r0dd

I have no idea. Screen auto-brightness I believe has always been present, or at least since the 13.37 OTA update. I haven't seen any settings to adjust the proximity sensor, even in Spare Parts.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links