GPS Specs

This is a discussion on GPS Specs within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Hi- Anyone know the specs of the internal GPS within the Backflip? Would I be better off with the iBlue737 I have leftover from my ...

Thread: GPS Specs

GPS Specs

Hi-

Anyone know the specs of the internal GPS within the Backflip? Would I be better off with the iBlue737 I have leftover from my last phone? Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Qualcomm MSM7201A gpsOne. It uses NMEA 0183, so basically any app can use it's output. It comes with almost all of the MSM720x chipsets. It's a great GPS chipset if the software is calibrated right. Windows Mobile never had any issues with that chipset, and my Backflip certainly hasn't either, although it's not the fastest at locking a location.

Thanks Dorian, but any idea on its sensitivity? My external is supposedly sensitive down to -158dBmW. Curious how good the antenna is in the Backflip, as it's been losing lock on these cloudy days.

If I wanted to try it out, where would I ask how to do so. I tried simply pairing it but got "Paired but not connected"

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote from Qualcomm: (and personally, it's worked flawlessly for me on every MSM device I've had.)

• Supports multiple modes of GPS, inclusive of standalone, MS-Based, MS-Assisted, Hybrid, and gpsOneXTRA™ Assistance
    • Enables enhanced standalone GPS through gpsOneXTRA Assistance
    • Supports – 160 dBm tracking sensitivity
    • Standalone TTFF Hot, Warm Cold (1s/29s/35s) respectively
    • Compatible with Qualcomm's QPoint Location Based Server as well as 3GPP and GERAN compliant location servers supporting UMTS control plane and GSM control plane and OMA SUPL 1.0
    And about trying it out... It should get a decent location lock inside the AT&T building, but if you already own the phone, try Google Maps. It can pull live location information right from your GPS, even on 1.5. And 2.1 can utilize Google Nav.

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

I probably wasn't clear, so apologies for that. I already have a Backflip using the Android 2.1 Beta 3 and an iBlue737 external GPS now. I can use the internal GPS just fine but if I try to pair the iBlue I get a "Paired but not connected" status and can't use it. I'm assuming I need to disable or override the internal GPS to somehow let the external one connect, but don't know how to do so!

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    From what I understand, since most all Android phones have it built in, Android doesn't know or present you with options on where you want the GPS data feed to be coming from. When you connect your BT GPS module to, say, a Windows Mobile Device... you have to configure Windows Mobile and tell it what BT serial port you want it to stream GPS data from. In Android I'm not aware of any way to change that, outside of going down "code level" and re-writing where you want it to look for NMEA data from.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links