2.1 Upgrade

This is a discussion on 2.1 Upgrade within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; My News feed widgets stopped updating Friday, this morning I deleted and re added them all, that takes time of course....looking at each feed now ...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.1 Upgrade

My News feed widgets stopped updating Friday, this morning I deleted and re added them all, that takes time of course....looking at each feed now and they have not updated in two hours, before some of my feeds would constantly update. I will check throughout the day. The Happenings widget updates just fine though.

I am also adding these comments to the official forum .

Sites like LastFM , Rdio and Pandora work terribly on WiFi

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Actually it'll be both. What proof do you have that it won't be served up OTA also? EVERY single major 2.1 upgrade that I've seen has happened OTA.
    It's been stated multiple times by Mark. This upgrade will NOT be OTA. The methods they are using for the soak test will be the 2 methods they use to release the upgrade.

Also, I'm not sure that flashing back to stock after you have upgraded to 2.1 is a good idea. The upgrade installs a new version of the radio file which can cause issues if you try to downgrade afterward.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Go with j r0dds mod its so much better than this at&t moto crap

Quote Originally Posted by js1519 View Post
    Go with j r0dds mod its so much better than this at&t moto crap
    And what exactly makes it so much better? It's pretty much the same "crap" since that is what his ROM is based on. Yes, I know it is already rooted and he has removed some of the preinstalled ATT apps. Stuff like that can be removed manually if one so desires. Also, not everyone wishes to void their warranty by installing unapproved software on their phones.

Custom ROMs have their place, and I'm definitely not against them, but let's have a little less fanboy-ism around here please.

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

my guess as to no OTA for this phone would be to avoid the issues we're having in soak on EVERY phone. as it is, there seems to be some hardware limitations that has prevented some of the "stock" 2.1 from being included.

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    Unless whoever repackages the ROM changes the way internal storage is allocated you won't save space with a custom ROM or free up any space for additional apps. If they do change the way that internal storage is allocated then the advantage of the ROM without the normally baked in AT&T stuff would be increased internal storage for apps.

At least some of the code/crap for the AT&T/MotoBlur has to be cooked into the OS files. Are the re-packagers actually going through the code line by line and deleting and rewriting what's necessary to completely get rid of the extras? Are they stripping out the needed hardware drivers from the Moto version and compiling a generic version of 2.1?

I haven't seriously looked at any of the custom ROMs that are out there. My opinion is that for 2.1 I am satisfied with what Motorola has delivered. I would be very interested in a full featured (all hardware working) version of 2.2 when my warranty is up.

As far as the upgrade being OTA. If I remember correctly, other upgrades from Motorola have had optional download and install methods. I think the reasons for a downlaodable upgrade is it puts load on Motorola to provide the delivery mechanism and servers, it prevents users with the smaller limits on their data plans from whining about using 1/2 of their monthly allotment on the upgrade, and it is potentially less load on AT&Ts 3G network.
    The "prevailing" custom ROM for the Backflip currently, j_r0dd's "preclair" ROM is based on the leaked Cliq beta and has been updated with the Backflip kernel and some Froyo bits thrown in (some of the Froyo Google apps I believe).

There are some others which are being worked on which are based on AOSP and another which is just the "preclair" ROM above and someone has attempted to manually strip out all of the Motoblur bits with some limited success it seems.

Until Motorola releases the source code for their Android 2.1 release I think all of these are going to be limited or struggling to truly be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post
    my guess as to no OTA for this phone would be to avoid the issues we're having in soak on EVERY phone. as it is, there seems to be some hardware limitations that has prevented some of the "stock" 2.1 from being included.
    Such as? I've seen that Motorola's new task manager app doesn't appear to be included, but what "stock 2.1" isn't included? And what does that have to do with whether the upgrade is released as an OTA or through other channels?

hey so does anyone know what time tomorrow (Nov. 9th) the update will be available? I want to download it asap before class tomorrow.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links