J_r0dd vs moto

This is a discussion on J_r0dd vs moto within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Originally Posted by Dorian Overall if you don't know or recognize what all j_rodd has done to the ROM, then it probably wouldn't mean much ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J_r0dd vs moto

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Overall if you don't know or recognize what all j_rodd has done to the ROM, then it probably wouldn't mean much to you to switch to it, because even it still has MotoBlur. It's just a TON more optimized for it's functionality than the stock ROM is. (Plus with rooting, you can make NANDROID images of your installations.)
    Well i definitely get all that. it's a great rom and i'm currently using b3. i was just wondering if there was better speed or stability in the moto 2.1, or something special they sprinkled in that we didn't know about. A great thing would be if someone could take the new kernel from moto's 2.1, along with all the official updated drivers, and produce another custom rom, without all the bloatware. maybe even both a :blur: and non:blur: version like is out with J_r0dd's

jmgib, do you have something against me or what not? if so, PM me and we'll talk there.

otherwise, i was just saying that the custom roms out were not of the 2.1 the backflip has, so comparing them isn't really comparing two like items. once we get some roms on our file, then i would love to see what the devs have done w/ it. wasn't anything harsh to anyone there

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post
    jmgib, do you have something against me or what not? if so, PM me and we'll talk there.

otherwise, i was just saying that the custom roms out were not of the 2.1 the backflip has, so comparing them isn't really comparing two like items. once we get some roms on our file, then i would love to see what the devs have done w/ it. wasn't anything harsh to anyone there
    AFAIK it actually _has_ been of the actual Motorola released 2.1 code. J_rodd changed it from beta to 1.x as soon as he got a hold of the official 2.1 Backflip kernel. With future releases, it'll only get better. As soon as we can compile a 2.1 kernel from Moto's source, we can get AOSP running and have a vanilla copy of Android for the BF. All that has to be done at this point is modify the zip image that Moto is supplying now, taking out bloat, and fixing permissions and dependencies. The whole process is more tedious than it is difficult. Once you start building ROM's, you can pretty much build one for any phone, as long as the kernel source is published, which by law it has to be.

For anyone who understands what ROOT is and what you can do with the phone by using SU, then J_rodd's custom ROM is really recommended. It's (IMO) much cleaner and snappier than a stock image.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanathon View Post
    Well i definitely get all that. it's a great rom and i'm currently using b3. i was just wondering if there was better speed or stability in the moto 2.1, or something special they sprinkled in that we didn't know about. A great thing would be if someone could take the new kernel from moto's 2.1, along with all the official updated drivers, and produce another custom rom, without all the bloatware. maybe even both a :blur: and non:blur: version like is out with J_r0dd's
    Nothing against you. I just usually come across as being against custom ROMs (though really I have nothing against them, just don't like to see people blindly leaping off a cliff when they dont' realize they're not wearing a parachute, heh). Just noting that your response sounded harsher than mine usually do, didn't mean to imply I had something against you.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    AFAIK it actually _has_ been of the actual Motorola released 2.1 code. J_rodd changed it from beta to 1.x as soon as he got a hold of the official 2.1 Backflip kernel. With future releases, it'll only get better. As soon as we can compile a 2.1 kernel from Moto's source, we can get AOSP running and have a vanilla copy of Android for the BF. All that has to be done at this point is modify the zip image that Moto is supplying now, taking out bloat, and fixing permissions and dependencies. The whole process is more tedious than it is difficult. Once you start building ROM's, you can pretty much build one for any phone, as long as the kernel source is published, which by law it has to be.

For anyone who understands what ROOT is and what you can do with the phone by using SU, then J_rodd's custom ROM is really recommended. It's (IMO) much cleaner and snappier than a stock image.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly Dorian I unrooted my phone just to check out the official update and I can honestly say that I like J_r0dd's version muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better!
    Want A Good Fight??
    [SIGPIC]http://i51.tinypic.com/dr334i.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/sketch2k278
    Like my GuileDroid? lol

i didn't realize j_r0dd had updated the kernel. i'm all about that now. can it be installed right over b3?

Quote Originally Posted by Seanathon View Post
    i didn't realize j_r0dd had updated the kernel. i'm all about that now. can it be installed right over b3?
    I think so. Just make sure you make a backup first.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

didn't realize it was already redone either. would like to see some comparisons then!

So a rooted 2.1 isn't bettr than the custom rom?

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by GReal501 View Post
    So a rooted 2.1 isn't bettr than the custom rom?
    The custom ROM is rooted AND modified, from the get-go. All of the bloat has been taken out, and performance has been GREATLY enhanced.

And just like Joe Coolcool said... NANDROID backups!! That can't be stressed enough if you're going the custom ROM route. If you make a mistake somewhere or delete something that you shouldn't have, backup's are a godsend that keeps you from having to do all that work with restoring, then rooting, then re-installing the ROM, then re-installing all your apps...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links