Rooted 2.1 update.zip!

This is a discussion on Rooted 2.1 update.zip! within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; THIS IS A BETA - NOT FULLY TESTED, NO GUARANTEES. HAVE A BACKUP, AND SOME COMMON SENSE. NO WARRANTIES, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! This ...

Thread: Rooted 2.1 update.zip!

Rooted 2.1 update.zip!

THIS IS A BETA - NOT FULLY TESTED, NO GUARANTEES. HAVE A BACKUP, AND SOME COMMON SENSE. NO WARRANTIES, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

This is for people who have already rooted, installed j_r0dd's recovery, and don't want to do it again. If you haven't yet done so, there is no way to install a custom update.zip, and you might be better off updating with the official update, and rooting yourself with VISIONary, or some similar app.

Now that that's over....

This is the OFFICIAL 2.1 (eclair) 3.0.0.1930 from Motorola, with a few tweaks

Changes:

[+] added su/SuperUser.apk
    [+] added CMP media player

[-]removed AT&T "bloatware"

(All additions raided direct from j_r0dd's preclair, so thanks to him and everyone else that contributed to that project. )

Known issues:

The installer is buggy; you'll need to baby-sit it and restart a few times. MAKE SURE IT IS ACTUALLY FROZEN FIRST!

It also seems a little slow, but I think that's mostly related to initial setup.

A lot of your personal settings will be gone (like everything on your home screen.) Some of them (like your contacts) will eventually come back, but it takes a while (I blame the load on Motorola servers.)

YOU MAY NEED TO WIPE YOUR PHONE AFTER INSTALL!
    I haven't tried it yet, but am considering it still. I will post with results if I do.

INSTALL:

Since I don't have Motorola's update cert's, I signed this with the test keys. Therefore, YOU WILL NEED TO BE ROOTED, AND HAVE J_R0DD'S RECOVERY.

If you haven't already done so, get rooted and install the custom recovery. You can find instructions here, or on modmymobile.

If your phone's all set, download update file:

DOWNLOAD:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/42989286...2.1-rooted.zip

Then, connect your phone to your computer, enable usb mode, and transfer the backflip-2.1-rooted.zip file to the root of your sdcard.

Reboot into recovery (shutdown your phone, and then start it while holding down the camera button all the way.)

NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO MAKE A NAND BACKUP
    (As I understand it, this update replaces the phone's radio image, making it incompatible with old updates, including restoring from a backup; although I haven't tested this, backups are always a good idea.)

Select "Update from SD card", and then pick the update file.

--From here, I'm a bit fuzzy; use your common sense.--

WAIT - it will start by deleting files, which takes a while. You'll know it's done because you can control the recovery menu again, and it will ask you to restart.

RESTART. Use the menu options, don't yank the battery. It'll probably say something about flashing the radio image- bad time to kill it. When it comes back up, it will still look like it's in recovery, but text will be scrolling by. Eventually it will ask you to restart again.

RESTART AGAIN, IF ASKED. It'll restart to batwings a few times, then the blinking blur logo, and finally the AT&T 3g animation (all very slow.) Eventually it will move on. Try unplugging it if it takes too long.

Finally, you'll get to the blur setup! For me, it showed my account details behind a progress bar. I could not control anything but the status bar, and tabletop mode (open it up and check out the new photo album- nice!)

The progress bar takes forever, and I ended up rebooting after giving it a few minutes at full (possibly server load?) when the phone started back up I was past it though, and finished setup. You should be all set after this!

Report all errors back here, and enjoy!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

does this still have motoblur?

also, does it allow non-market apps?

Still has motoblur, still no non-market apps. All I did was add the root files, and remove AT&T stuff. I'll get around to the rest later, if someone else doesn't first. This is just to make it easier for anyone interested in upgrading, but doesn't want to lose root (or reflash with rsd just to get the installer to work.)

What about the old 1.5 fix for non market? Have you tried that just to see?

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

You cannot use the same files for the 1.5 non-market app fix on a 2.1 version of Android. However, someone over at M3 has extracted the files out of j_r0dd's "Preclair" ROM and posted them up for download.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

would it be possible if someone could mirror the download somewhere else rapid share will not let me download it says server overload. thank you

RapidShare seems to be working this morning, but since you asked, I've mirrored it on Mediafire for ya. This is Karl's file from the first post.. backflip-2.1-rooted.zip
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

I've gone thru the steps and everything seemed to work fine till the end. My phone is now continuously turning on, getting to the AT&T page, staying on that for a few mins and then restarting. It's been going on in this loop for like 20 mins now Any suggestions? My nand backup isn't working either so the phone is pretty much unusable right now. Please help!

Make sure you run all the format options in recovery mode, except for formatting the SD Card, THEN try your nand back up.
    Motus MB300(Backflip)_2.1 Preclair Beta1 by j_r0dd

I agree. Get into recovery, and factory reset/clear user data. Then try to reinstall if you can/ still need to. More details if you can remember them, please. Did anything give you trouble during install? Did you ever force a restart? I had to restart a few times, but only when prompted by the recovery, or else through the normal menu that pops up from holding the power button (during blur account login.) Otherwise, it did restart a few times on initial boot, each taking quite a while; but it's been fine since.

What did you have installed before this?
    Has anyone else here tried using this file? I'd like to know more about problems, as well as what software people were updating from (i.e. stock 1.5 or preclair.)

I'm not really sure what the problem is, but I haven't modified the rom in any way that should affect performance/ ability to boot. Only added/removed user applications that don't start at boot, and changed the update file's signature.
    I'd guess that it's either a problem with differences in how j_r0dd's recovery handles updates versus the stock recovery (purely a theory, but if anyone knows something...), a conflict in your user settings that wasn't cleaned by the installer, or else you just messed up a part of the install. Not that I'd blame you for it though, the whole update process felt less than solid.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links