I have been offered a HTC Aria in exchange

This is a discussion on I have been offered a HTC Aria in exchange within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; i'm really getting curious as to how so many people are having just random problems w/ different things breaking all the time?!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have been offered a HTC Aria in exchange

i'm really getting curious as to how so many people are having just random problems w/ different things breaking all the time?!

Quote Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
    I still like my Backflip but maybe Ill try and weasle a Captivate out of em since things like the email app/news widget/etc/etc dont even work anymore..

I complained about all those things, sure they are Moto problems but the bottom line here is that AT&T wants you as a loyal costumer, nearly ten years with them needs to count for something, the fact that moto has not come up with a fix for a thing as silly as the news widgets updating pisses me off...yes it's a small thing but I liked that widget...

I loved my backflip but after 3 warranty issues for speaker problems AT&T offered me the aria, so I thought why not try it, I gotta say it's much better then the backflip,faster,smoother,just everything about the aria works better. down side is I lost my camera flash and virtual keyboard, but it's worth it.

This was my experience today:

I have the Android Motorola Backflip. It is underpowered, underpowered to the point where it takes 2 min to open a contact, wont answer calls because it lags, and cant play basic games. They have it running on a ~500MB processor with 256MB ram, on a OS that only runs perfectly on 1GB and 500+ respectively. I got it when it was the only option. I stuck with it, hoping the update to the OS would make it better, it didnt, if anything worse.

I've had it replaced twice (The first in the store, the 2nd requiring an hour of calling waiting time as it is). After a store visit and 1.5 hours of calls today I'm told I need to replace it ONE MORE TIME with warranty before I can switch phones under their plan. I am told I can go to a physical Device Service Center to get it. After driving 30 min to get there I (A) am told that they are unable to help me, because they've already shipped one even though I told them not to. (B) He tries to help me out anyway, I found he's blocked out of the account, so I have to call again.

After waiting through 2 departments, retelling the whole story over and over, I get redirected (randomly) back to the person who sent me there to begin with. After talking/fighting w/ her (I was calm the first time, not anymore) She makes it seem like I wont be able to get a new phone at all, she tells me "its a like-for-like program" We replace the phone you have until it works. After replacing it twice we can try to find a solution. She refused to tell me I could get a different phone, even though it was alluded to previous. I eventually got fed up and told her to transfer me to the cancellation department. I've gotta hold for another 20 minutes. Upon reaching the dept I am informed I COULD get a different phone but for a $200 early upgrade fee. Which I refuse to pay because ATT provided everyone with a bad phone in the first place. They let a bad phone get into market, and they sold it to me atts a working android phone. IT DOESNT. I'm not paying for a new phone because they couldnt put out a decent phone to begin with. I ask to be transferred to a manager.

After holding for another 30 min I finally get the manager which in addition to having nothing to add to the situation, is incredibly curt with me the entire time. Meanwhile ATT employees have directed me around, not only the mess of their customer service, but the Cities I live in and around as well. I had got to the Device Service Center at 6:30pm, I was using their phone, and didnt leave until 8:30. At which point, I left with nothing. Not the phone I was told I could go there to get. Not a replacement to deal with the phone I currently had.

After 5 hours of dealing with ATT, driving an hour total, and draining the battery on their poorly created cell phone talking to them, the only thing I left with was a ton more stress than I had already started the adventure with.

Sorry, but the phone does work. Does it have some minor issues? Sure. But don't go stomping around like the phone is completely broken. The amount of buyer's remorse surrounding the Backflip just astounds me. People purchased it because they were impatient and couldn't wait for a more powerful Android phone to come to ATT, and now are trying to game the system to get a free upgrade.

Congratulations to ATT for calling you on your bluff. Would I like to have a better phone after playing with my wife's Captivate? Sure I would, but I'm not going to just keep calling ATT with exaggerated claims to get them to keep sending me replacement phones so that I can get an upgrade.

The only thing I do agree with you on here is that they shouldn't have mislead you in believing that you were going to get a different phone (though without knowing the actual conversation, have to take your word on this).
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

I don't mean to argue, but I wouldn't call most of the gripes about the Backflip 'minor.' It cannot be used fully as and Android device... not even on the OS version it launched on (let alone the OS version it was promised to be compatible with... Live Wallpapers, Flash Lite, etc.) Is it usable? Sometimes. Other times it completely fails as even a 'dumb' phone. The most simple task of making phone calls can make you want to throw it sometimes. Sure, if you wipe it, root it, uninstall all of the 'bloatware' and keep the app installs light then it might run a little better, but that's not the way it was released by AT&T and that's not what most people paid for. As released it had way too many problems to be called a fully functional quality phone.

I'm running Preclair 1.3 and still having multiple problems (random reboots, BT connectivity, serious lag) daily and this ROM is about as light as it gets without de-Blurring the phone, which, again that's not the way it was sold. I'm just biding my time until January (hopefully.)

Sorry for the rant, but most of the problems reported and experienced with the Backflip are not minor in my opinion.

Honestly, I don't really have any issues with making or receiving calls. Sure the phone will lag a bit at times, but it was never marketed as a high end phone. Seriously, the phone has the same/similar hardware as some of the older Android phones, such as the HTC Hero, G1, etc. You can say it as much as you want, but the phone isn't broken.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

I agree with you, the phone is not "broken." But thats if the only meaning of broken was that its different from the way it was released.

Unfortunately, AT&T/MOTO released a broken android phone from the start. It takes me 2 minutes just to get to the "new contact" promps. I wasted almost 10 min at work waiting for a contact to load.

A ( keyword: ) WORKING phone, can download almost as many apps as you like, not watching size or processing power, or memory left. It can use all the features of the Android OS without sacrificing anything.

YES there are plenty of phones suffering from similar issues. And I think that every single one of those users needs to file a complaint. Be it with AT&T, Motorola, or the FCC. Whomever it is, there needs to be more people actually telling them they did something wrong.

When you got a dumbphone, it stayed dumb, you couldn't do much, but it never LOST the ability to do what a phone needed to do.

When I bought this smartphone, it not only was barely able to do remedial cell phone functions, but progressively gets worse at doing smarphone functions as well. I have to treat it like a dumbphone, just to get it to work.

I bought an android phone to use the apps in the android market, a significant handful of which fail on the Backflip. Even using the App Menu lags significantly.

Ill accept your suggestion that the phone isnt broken. But can you honestly say you think the Backflip WORKS as an Android Smart-Phone?

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

I'll just chalk this up to matter of opinion and individual user experiences. It may not be ALL Backflips with the same problems, but I have seen far too many problems reported, besides mine, that I consider to be unacceptable for a phone that started off at $199 on contract (yes, it had a MIR, but doesn't that tell you something when a $100 MIR is offered for a brand new phone at launch??)

CNET User's give it a total of 2.5 stars out of 5

PCMag's reviewer gave it 2 out of 5 and says "

• Pros Good keyboard. MotoBlur integrates e-mail and social networking well. Solid battery life.

• Cons Design renders it nearly unusable. Last year's specs. MotoBlur still running at Android 1.5. A boatload of bloatware.
    • Bottom Line The Motorola Backflip is a mediocre Android phone with one of the worst designs I've ever had to suffer through using."

It seems even the review units handed out had rebooting issues and poor functionality. I swear it's just not me. But, like I said, it seems some people got units that work like they should; but that doesn't mean that everyone else reporting all of these problems are just being over critical.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I actually like my Backflip; when it works it's a pretty cool phone... it just doesn't work well often. More often than not it's faster to look up a number in a paper phone book than it is to pull up a contact in my phone. I, though, have no recourse with anyone as I bought mine (New) from an individual and not through AT&T. I knew it was a phone I wouldn't be keeping long, I just wanted to hold myself over with an Android phone (I had to get away from Win6) until the monsters come out next year, and this was the only option at the time. I'm not trying to bash the Backflip, it had great potential, but I won't recommend anyone else get it because of the design flaws. I don't think I'll even sell it off when I'm done with it, though it's in near perfect condition. I just wouldn't feel right putting someone else through the frustrations... I'm more patient about these things than some others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links