Unlocked and Rooted, what can I do...

This is a discussion on Unlocked and Rooted, what can I do... within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Att is "researching" to be getting me a new unlock code for my backflip (Customer Service can get all the way through the process, but ...

Thread: Unlocked and Rooted, what can I do...

Unlocked and Rooted, what can I do...

Att is "researching" to be getting me a new unlock code for my backflip (Customer Service can get all the way through the process, but the spot where the code should be is blank) so that I can switch to Tmobile...

Once my phone is unlocked (I already have z4root for root) will I be able to remove the ATT bloatware or compile the android OS released from motorola without it?

Will any other ATT restrictions on the phone be lifted once it's fully unlocked?

Would the best approach be to install a custom/downloaded rooted version of the o.s.?

Oh and if you want to point me in the direction of any good sources for this I'd appreciate it too... I haven't followed up on anything since the 2.1 update came out...

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by LimitlessMinds View Post
    Att is "researching" to be getting me a new unlock code for my backflip (Customer Service can get all the way through the process, but the spot where the code should be is blank) so that I can switch to Tmobile...

Once my phone is unlocked (I already have z4root for root) will I be able to remove the ATT bloatware or compile the android OS released from motorola without it?

Will any other ATT restrictions on the phone be lifted once it's fully unlocked?

Would the best approach be to install a custom/downloaded rooted version of the o.s.?

Oh and if you want to point me in the direction of any good sources for this I'd appreciate it too... I haven't followed up on anything since the 2.1 update came out...
    First, welcome to the forums!

You won't be able to do anything but swap SIM cards with other providers. Android will still be locked down, with AT&T's restrictions. You have to root it, or put a custom ROM on it to get rid of the AT&T bloat or restrictions. Though you can compile stock builds from Motorola right now, without having to unlock the phone.

For some good Backflip ROM's, try ModMyMobile under the Backflip ROM section.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post

You won't be able to do anything but swap SIM cards with other providers. Android will still be locked down, with AT&T's restrictions. You have to root it, or put a custom ROM on it to get rid of the AT&T bloat or restrictions. Though you can compile stock builds from Motorola right now, without having to unlock the phone.

Dorian is 100% right about building a collection of things to use after you root . I've been gathering things for the Motorola Atrix - which I plan on picking up tomorrow, for almost two months now. When I bring it home (or in your case, when you root your phone), there's a whole lot of cool things waiting to be used.

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Oh the headace of ATT.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post

I got an unlock code from them, but it didn't work and they had no clue why. They even called Motorola to try and figure it out, but Motorola just laughed at them and said that they were the only ones who could provide me with a code (and that they should know that)...

Anyone know if loading the original stock build to try the unlock might work? and if it did work, when I upgraded the o.s. or loaded a custom rom would it still be unlocked?

You can try that but it shouldn't really make a difference. Also, you have to get the unlock code from your provider. Not Motorola. In this case, ATT. There is the option of gambling with one of the many online solutions. Some may work. Others will just take your money. Its up to you.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

HAve you tried your backflip on Tmobile 3g yet?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links