.wmv no longer working after 2.1 upgrade

This is a discussion on .wmv no longer working after 2.1 upgrade within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Prior to upgrading I was able to play drm free .wmv's in the preinstalled "video gallery" app. After the upgrade this app is no longer ...

Thread: .wmv no longer working after 2.1 upgrade

.wmv no longer working after 2.1 upgrade

Prior to upgrading I was able to play drm free .wmv's in the preinstalled "video gallery" app. After the upgrade this app is no longer listed. Using Astro I can click on the files and they play, sort of. I get sound, but the video is distorted. I've tried Mobo, but it hangs at the start up screen, wanting me to install the codecs. Problem is I already did, it just
    refuses to recognize that I have. Also tried arcMedia but it has a force close when I attempt to play a .wmv.

I tried searching here but the search engine doesn't like three letter searches like "wmv"

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Keith

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    AFAIK, Motorola didn't include a codec in 2.1 for WMV, simply because Android's core just doesn't support it. 2.2 Froyo supports it through a system codec called Stagefright, but that's Froyo.

Have you tried Rockplayer or VPlayer? Rockplayer is a bit rough, but it plays smooth. VPlayer may require an ARMv7 device, which the Backflip isn't. All of the newer devices are ARMv7, while the Backflip is ARMv4T. The Backflip simply doesn't have the power to decode realtime, without an ARMv4 optimized codec.

On an aside though, which codec version did you install for Moboplayer?

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Thanks for the response. I tried Rockplayer but it had no luck. If I chose hardware decoding it gave me the same distorted screen that I get with the built in player. If I chose software decoding it just crashed.

With Mobo I simply downloaded the codec that it pulled up by default when I chose "get codec from market" on its install screen. This turned out to be ARM V6, which you're telling me won't work. Perhaps if I was able to get the V4 .apk this would solve the issue? It's not on the Mobo site nor on the market though. I now know how to get around that, thanks to this fourm, but don't know where to locate a copy. I dont want to just grab it from anywhere, what with the potential for malware and all.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Backflip is ARMv6 not ARMv4. Dorian is correct however that the Backflip does not have a codec for .wmv. You can see here the supported "core" Android media codecs.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Thanks for the info jmgib. Doesn't really advance us toward a solution though.

Seems what you're both telling me is that 1.5 had core support for .wmv but 2.1 doesn't. Also seems that people are having luck with Rockplayer and Moboplayer.

Since Rockplayer installed fine but isn't working for .wmv then I suppose it is not a valid option for me.

Moboplayer never seemed to actually completely install so maybe there is still hope with it if someone can tell me where the installation failed. I "installed" Moboplayer from the market, opened it, up comes the screen telling me that I need to get a codec pack from either the market or Moboplayer's own site, click on get from market, codec chosen by default, arm6, is "installed", return to Moboplayer, still comes up with opening codec screen with no option or hint on how to continue.
    Any idea why?

Thanks!

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Ok.. Try this one... It's free from the Market. And it supports ARM6 devices.

https://market.android.com/details?i...go.VitalPlayer

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Honestly I wouldn't think the Backflip would have been able to play wmv files on Android 1.5 since it was only ever sold as playing the Android core codecs.

I may break out my Backflip and flash an .sbf back to stock on it and see if I can help you out. I'm no longer with ATT and had just been using it to help j_r0dd work on getting CM7 running for the Backflip.

jmgib, I was surprised too when they played under 1.5 and equally surprised when they stopped under 2.1. Never expected to lose capability by upgrading.

Dorian, thanks for the suggestion of VitalPlayer. Sadly I have no luck with it either. Every time I try to start the program I get a force close.

Alright, well, I've flashed my Backflip back to Android 1.5. Now to do some testing.

**EDIT**

Well, the .wmv file that I found and tried didn't work. You mind pointing me to a .wmv file you were able to play on Android 1.5?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links