ROM Review

This is a discussion on ROM Review within the Motorola Droid X forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Cross Forum Thread from DXF I was asked to post up my write up concerning the peculiarities of the ROMs that I've run over the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROM Review

Super Moderator/RS psychotic_penguin's Avatar
    Twitter
    @pternahan

ROM Review

Cross Forum Thread from DXF

I was asked to post up my write up concerning the peculiarities of the ROMs that I've run over the last month or so.

Please bear in mind I'm not I'm not favoring any developer just my opinions of each one for others to review.

I've run just about every ROM available for the DX and have done so in the last 3 weeks or so.

Apex is by far the best when it comes to battery life and full functionality Fab is one of the best developers out there and provides great support for all questions. He's incorporated a very subtle amount of blur in his builds, and has managed to get it right, this ROM is very fast and stable. A full variety of themes are available for this ROM.

Gummy Jar initially didn't run very well on my phone but is still and a very solid ROM, the developer here is Kejar who to me is a new kid on the block but he has mad skills. The ROM is stable and fast and has touches of AOSP throughout. The 2.5 update worked alot better seems alot of folks agreed with that and the themes came out of the woodwork for this ROM.

Tranquility ran nice, I downloaded it prior to all the new modifications available from the new toolbox, ran it for a day had some reboot issues, these issues have since been addressed making this a very solid ROM. P3 is the Godfather, Team Black Hat is probably the most innovative team out there. They come up with all the new stuff first most times. There are a wide variety of themes available for this ROM which you can install on the fly from the toolbox, as well as adding and removing apps. No one else has this type of functionality in their ROMs

Darkslide also ran very good. This ROM by BBCrackman is not as well known as it should be, it's solid and runs fast. I initially had some reboot issues, but they went away after a day or so. It now has a folder for all the additional add-ons that's installed to your SD Card so you don't have to go searching for them. This ROM is beautiful to look at BB made alot of changes with his newest build

Ultimate Droid is simply fantastic even with it being in an RC state, it has issues with GPS for some (not me) but the killer for me was no USB support. Once Blackdroid gets this ROM done it's gonna be epic. He's working on several different version of UD for a wide variety of phones and is a legend with all of them. There are no themes available at this time due to the fact that it's still in development. The latest build has fully functional GPS, and I believe this ROM's nearly completion.

Obsidian by cvpcs is probably gonna be the base most future ROMs are built off of. Cvpcs has gone to the crib and made a ROM that's totally AOSP, in other words built from scratch. Like UD this ROM's in a development stage and still has some issues, but it's fast...really fast. I ran sapphire on my D1 and if Obsidian's anything like Sapphire, which I'm sure it will be, we're all in for a treat.

RubiX has incredible support runs very fast and is very stable...this ROM probably has the best support team out there with drod2169 and Sephtin and the rest of the team. They offer both a blurless as well as a blurry version of this ROM and rumor has it a version in between similar to Apex. There are 2 initial releases theme wise both are based on the Gingerbread look. Rumor has it that this ROM and Gummy Jar share a similar framework and the themes available will work on both. I'd check on that before trying to install to be certain.

Liberty was probably the most highly anticipated ROM for the DX and after installing it I see why. Kejar and JRummy combined makes an unbeatable team a solid ROM with all the goodies built in. I've been running this ROM since release day, it's fast, solid and having the option to add and remove options, without scripts is epic. Oh and the themes quite a few right there in the toolbox, future builds will have better support for installing themes and adding blur you can be certain.

Also of note is Fission, I never ran it, just didn't get around to it. I hope that someone that has will chime in on this ROM, which I hear is a very solid one as well

Hopefully this novel helps some of you out when it comes to a choice in ROMs.

If anyone has anything to add, please feel free.

Penguin out........

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    wwickedd
    Glad to see this here aswell.

Twitter
    smalltownlife13
    Definitely worth having on both forums PP...well done yet again ...
    The beatings will continue until moral improves...my new motto for work!
    Droid X Specific Site: www.droidxforums.com

good write up PP. This will help the "rom recommendations" threads!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Android.net App
    IF YOU NEED HELP WE ARE HERE!

You should edit it to mark which version you tested for future references

Sent from my DROIDX using Android.net App

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    ^^^ And if you revisit a ROM at a later date with a different version update if you notice any quirks -- or just say "still screaming solid!" or somesuch. Looks great, PP!

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Nice write up PP! All the devs still working on the X should be thanked endlesssly! Screw the locked bootloader, these devs are churning out some of the best, most stable ROMs out there.

Twitter
    @pternahan
    As a matter of fact I'm downloading Tranquility for another ride

Twitter
    @pternahan
    Update: Tranquility 3.7

I've run this since release day and I'm thrilled. Team Black Hat did an incredible job on this ROM adding a fully functional toolbox since the last time I ran it. In this toolbox you can change themes, add but not remove Blur apps, change your boot animation, add a boot sound, add a startup sound, choose animations and so on.

The ROM itself is solid and pretty fast, sporting some really clean animations and all kinds of other things that p3 is known for. Battery life is outstanding, I was 31 hours off the charger and still at 35% with moderate usage. One awesome feature is the option to view themes prior to downloading, applying them was a simple one touch and the installed, this is because they're already on your SD Card in the TranQ folder. This folder with all the "goodies" will take up 133MB on your card, there's no outside downloads or waiting for them to download.

Drawbacks on Tranquility....the themes don't seem to touch the menu portion of the interface, what I mean here is when you press the menu button, the options there are the pasty Android grey greatly diminishing from the beauty of the themes. This may be due to limitations mentioned because of the complexity of the toolbox. Also of note and by default the battery meter is in 20% increments if this is important to you. Once you add blur, if you want to remove it, you have to either freeze it or re-install the ROM.

These issues are really not that bad, and the rest of the ROM really makes these limitations a non point, but worth mentioning for our more finicky members.

Overall I give Tranquility 3.7....2 thumbs up and would recommend this ROM to anyone

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Sounds like ADW themes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links