Can't Save Music to SD Card Instead of Internal Memory?!

This is a discussion on Can't Save Music to SD Card Instead of Internal Memory?! within the Motorola Droid X2 forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I bought an SD card for my phone solely for the purpose if downloading lots of music and keeping my phone memory free. But so ...

Thread: Can't Save Music to SD Card Instead of Internal Memory?!

Can't Save Music to SD Card Instead of Internal Memory?!

I bought an SD card for my phone solely for the purpose if downloading lots of music and keeping my phone memory free. But so far I haven't been able to figure out a way to save it anywhere but the internal memory. I've tried the memory settings, tried copying/moving it, and I've tried the settings on my music downloaders with no such luck. So I need a relatively easy solution or just an app that will allow me to save tunes to my SD card.

I'm not sure why it's that way on this phone every android I've had before this one all music auto-saved to my SD card. Should go without saying but yes I'm working with a Droid X2.

Oh and DroidXer sent me.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

I don't get it either. Why did my phone come with a card if nothing goes there?
    I thought I was starting to figure it out:
    http://www.galaxyforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5234
    But I was wrong.
    Using Astro, I found all the music folders in mnt/sdcard, and put everything in mnt/sdcard/musicdownload, where most of my music already was.
    I think I moved the whole folders, not just the contents. It's been a little while, so I'm not sure exactly what all I did.
    Then, I think I "selected all" (highlighted) my songs in that folder, and selected mnt/sdcard/ex_sdcard/musicdownload to move them to.
    One by one, the songs starting moving, when I thought about what the one gentleman told me, to move the whole folder, and canceled that.
    Then I closed the internal folder, and moved the whole thing to the mnt/sdcard/ex_sdcard/musicdownload folder, which was empty to start with.
    Anyway, I have no idea where 20 of my songs went. I guess those had moved before I changed my mind and canceled the individual transfer and then moved the whole folder instead.

I can't find those anywhere. They're just gone.

And my album art is all missing or messed up on the music that did make it to the card, about 200 songs.

If that weren't bad enough, I wasn't done screwing thing up yet.
    Now I tried moving pictures and video from mnt/sdcard/DCIM to the external DCIM, which already had some media in it.

I lost some video in the process, and all of my pictures either doubled or tripled in the Gallery.
    Back in Astro, I see that now there's thumbnails and camera in DCIM, both containing the same pictures. I guess that's why the duplicates in Gallery?
    The pictures and video are easily replaceable, is why I tried moving them, knowing I could mess it up like I did my music library.

I'm not running out of space anywhere.
    That's not an issue.

I just want to understand. Like the op said, I thought media always went to the card. I used to be told that you must have a card for camera and such, but now I don't know.

I guess there's a little more to it than just using Astro to move or copy things to the card.
    Something about using a computer to "partition" the card...something like that?

I guess there's no way to make me completely understand the whole internal/external sdcard thing.
    I just wish I knew enough to get my music downloads to all end up in the same place, preferably on the external card (I mean, is there any reason I wouldn't want it there?) complete with the correct album art.
    Same with my camera media. In Gallery, the pictures are in a bunch of different groups. A group of them called camera, another group called camera, I think another, a group called downloads, some in Dropbox, Picspeed wallpapers, wallpapers, pics from different cameras I've played with here and there...
    There was probably a dozen different groups of pics, and I thought it would be nice to have them all neatly organized in one place, on the external card.

So...
    Sorry for the long post.
    It would be great if anybody had any words of advice for me and the op.

I feel like I'm on the verge of getting this whole storage thing. Like the next person will say just the right thing, and something will click, and suddenly everything will make sense to me.
    I have looked for and read some threads in this and other forums on the subject, but different people explain things different ways, and I get lost again.
    Maybe there's an article somewhere on the subject explained in a simple, step-by-step manner for dummies?

Well, thank-you very much for spending a little of your valuable time reading this post, and thank-you for any advice you might post for myself and the op about this.
    I really respect and admire the knowledge you guys possess on computers and Androids.
    Newbies (my 5th smartphone) like myself would never figure these things out at all without your help. I have a long way to go in this learning process, but I've come a long way thanks to Android forums.

Good night and God bless.

Edit: Also, can somebody tell me what's causing the "" things all over my post?
    I quoted the op above my post, but I see it's not here. ???

Edit #2: Never mind. Now they're gone. They seem to have gone away when I applied the first edit...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by titanoman; 03-25-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Exactly my problem. And yeah you can keep on copying files but it's a major hassle as often as I download music. Besides you have to delete all the old files or you have two copies of everything. Just a waste of time. This seems like such a fundamental problem I feel like the solution should be easy.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android.net

My brother has the same phone I do, the Droid X2 and doesn't have the problem. No one knows how to fix this?

Ads