LTE service on current WiMax antennas?

This is a discussion on LTE service on current WiMax antennas? within the Motorola i1 forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; In light of the story on the front page citing a possible shift to LTE service by Sprint, Im wondering if it occurs during the ...

Thread: LTE service on current WiMax antennas?

LTE service on current WiMax antennas?

In light of the story on the front page citing a possible shift to LTE service by Sprint, Im wondering if it occurs during the lifespan of the current 4G phones, if their antennas will be albe to utilize LTE service through a software update.

According to the blurb it almost sounds simple, just wondering what the difference in the LTE and WiMax receivers really is, or if there is one.

Please no speculation without citation, thank you.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Great question. I could speculate myself but I'd rather listen and learn :4g:

Unfortunately, this won't work - but I wouldn't worry much about it.

The reason why it won't work, is that LTE will not be using the same frequencies or radio system as WiMAX. The LTE uses OFDMA/MIMO/SC-FDMA radio systems and Clear/Sprint's WiMAX system uses only MIMO-SOFDMA radios. In theory, it would be like opening up a Sprint phone, pulling the CDMA radio out and inserting a GSM radio and a sim card.

What Sprint will end up doing IF they go LTE is to phase out WiMAX handsets quickly. Watch the next 2-6 months to see if there are more WiMAX devices coming. If we see more of them coming in the pipeline, that LTE rumor is probably not going to happen soon. If we don't see more 4G devices coming soon - and if you look at the last 2 announcements with their dual screen being 3G only and the Touch 7 being 3G only -you really have to consider that WiMAX might just have done it's job of getting them there first, but not best.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links