Google car dock received

This is a discussion on Google car dock received within the Nexus One Accessories forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by rioja Is there a an audio output jack on the dock? Like the 3.5mm headphone jack on the N1. It would be ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Google car dock received

Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post
    Is there a an audio output jack on the dock? Like the 3.5mm headphone jack on the N1. It would be nice to plug it into my stock radio. I could use the headphone jack, but would like to avoid the plug/unplug when mounting/removing the phone.
    I'm kind of feeling the same way. I've been holding out for 2 months waiting for this, it's a pretty big let down.

While the enhanced speakerphone seems nice, I have a bluetooth headset, so it's a non-issue. I pretty much want to plug the phone into my car's aux jack and have it charge and it seems any other dock can do that cheaper and with no more or less hassle.

I already had a car power adaptor, and rather than use the one that came with the dock, I used the one I already had... and I noticed it was not charging my phone. (Then I pulled the phone from the dock and plugged the charger in directly, it worked again.) I replaced the 3rd party charger with the one that came with the dock, and things worked fine... so it seems the dock needs a bit more juice than an inexpensive charger might put out.

Can I use my phone with a Bluetooth headset while it's in the Car Dock?

Yes. When you dock your phone for the first time, you'll be prompted with a dialog box to select the dock's audio settings. Just uncheck the "As speaker phone" option, and your phone will be able to pair with a Bluetooth headset. To change these settings later, go to Menu > Dock settings while Car Dock is running.

Can I connect my phone to my car's auxiliary jack while using the Car Dock?

Yes. The audio jack at the top of your phone is still functional even when the phone is docked. In this situation, we recommend keeping the "As speaker phone" option enabled so that the dock's microphone is used for phone calls, since the phone's built-in microphone isn't sensitive enough. Alternatively, you can choose to pair your phone with a Bluetooth headset.

Can I listen to music, turn on Google Navigation and answer calls at the same time?

You can, but only one sound source play at a time. For example, if listening to music while using Google Navigation, your music will be temporary muted while a driving direction is played.

Can I use my phone with an A2DP compatible Bluetooth device for stereo audio while it's in the Car Dock?

Yes. When you dock your phone for the first time, you'll be prompted with a dialog box to select the dock's audio settings. Just uncheck the "For music and media" option, and your phone will be able to pair with a Bluetooth stereo audio device. To change these settings later, go to Menu > Dock settings while Car Dock is running.

Can I insert another cigarette lighter power source into the dock?

No. The current and voltage ratings might not be the same. Please always use the included adapter.

Straight from Google: Car Dock FAQ - Nexus One Help
    Regards,
    TechieNewsMongral

tinyurl.com/techienewsmongral

Quote Originally Posted by TechieNewsMongral View Post
    Can I use my phone with a Bluetooth headset while it's in the Car Dock?

Yes. When you dock your phone for the first time, you'll be prompted with a dialog box to select the dock's audio settings. Just uncheck the "As speaker phone" option, and your phone will be able to pair with a Bluetooth headset. To change these settings later, go to Menu > Dock settings while Car Dock is running.

Can I connect my phone to my car's auxiliary jack while using the Car Dock?

Yes. The audio jack at the top of your phone is still functional even when the phone is docked. In this situation, we recommend keeping the "As speaker phone" option enabled so that the dock's microphone is used for phone calls, since the phone's built-in microphone isn't sensitive enough. Alternatively, you can choose to pair your phone with a Bluetooth headset.

Can I listen to music, turn on Google Navigation and answer calls at the same time?

You can, but only one sound source play at a time. For example, if listening to music while using Google Navigation, your music will be temporary muted while a driving direction is played.

Can I use my phone with an A2DP compatible Bluetooth device for stereo audio while it's in the Car Dock?

Yes. When you dock your phone for the first time, you'll be prompted with a dialog box to select the dock's audio settings. Just uncheck the "For music and media" option, and your phone will be able to pair with a Bluetooth stereo audio device. To change these settings later, go to Menu > Dock settings while Car Dock is running.

Can I insert another cigarette lighter power source into the dock?

No. The current and voltage ratings might not be the same. Please always use the included adapter.

Straight from Google: Car Dock FAQ - Nexus One Help
    All of this jives with my testing/usage today. Bt works just fine, both stereo audio, and calls, provided those setting are disabled in the docking prompt. The input says 5volts,2A (2 amps, 2000ma), so this may explain why mah's third-party adapter didn't work-we know the phone only requires approx. 700ma max for full charge, but will charge @ 500ma, just slower. The extra power req'mt is curious...perhaps the speakers remain ON when plugged in, even if no audio is directed to the speakers?

I ordered my car dock when I ordered my phone and used it for the first time today. I was very disappointed in the volume for audio output. It seems the toggle switch does not control the volume at all and I can't hear the music at all with the windows down.

I know that I have a hearing deficiency but this volume for the phone in general and the dock specifically is pretty weak. The head phones work very well so I am able to hear video/audio playback but I am disappointed in the general speaker volume.

I would not recommend the car dock for any purpose since it's too difficult to hear and the charging doesn't work when operating in multi-function mode like audio playback while navigating. Seems like a very expensive accessory with very limited functionality.

My second complaint is that I cannot get the post to swivel on the suction/base. It is locked in one position. I have applied a lot of force (I don't care if I break it since it seems like such a waste of money with limited functionality) but have been unable to make the base/post move. I have thought about using a vice with a pliers but I don't have a vice so I haven't tried.

So my opinion of the car dock is to not waste your money. I have two issues: 1. volume is inadequate for any use 2. base/post limits flexibility

Don't waste your money. Anybody want to buy a car dock?

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    I ordered my car dock when I ordered my phone and used it for the first time today. I was very disappointed in the volume for audio output. It seems the toggle switch does not control the volume at all and I can't hear the music at all with the windows down.

I know that I have a hearing deficiency but this volume for the phone in general and the dock specifically is pretty weak. The head phones work very well so I am able to hear video/audio playback but I am disappointed in the general speaker volume.

I would not recommend the car dock for any purpose since it's too difficult to hear and the charging doesn't work when operating in multi-function mode like audio playback while navigating. Seems like a very expensive accessory with very limited functionality.

My second complaint is that I cannot get the post to swivel on the suction/base. It is locked in one position. I have applied a lot of force (I don't care if I break it since it seems like such a waste of money with limited functionality) but have been unable to make the base/post move. I have thought about using a vice with a pliers but I don't have a vice so I haven't tried.

So my opinion of the car dock is to not waste your money. I have two issues: 1. volume is inadequate for any use 2. base/post limits flexibility

Don't waste your money. Anybody want to buy a car dock?
    If you have a cassette deck or an aux in jack, I suggest buying an adapter or cable to patch into your car stereo. The dock is not capable of hi fidelity sound. However the Nexus is a beast at sound reproduction. I use my phone mounted in the car dock with a cassette adapter and the sound is awesome.

If you go with the cassette adapter I suggest buying this one Cassette Adapter
    It's highly rated and cheap!
    Look ma! I'm a super moderator, my life has purpose now. :butt1:

Yes, that would be a nice addition and boost the sound from the N1 to the vehicle sound system. Thanks for your suggestion, but I was hoping that the abysmal sound quality from the N1 might be improved by the car dock.

Ultimately, I will keep the dock because it is a safe place to hold my phone while in a vehicle for charging. However, I have a superb GPS and the only other reason for using the car dock, besides the charging unit, would be to employ the MP3 player. I would prefer to achieve this function without another set of wires cluttering up my dash.

I know, I know, some people are never satisfied. I do appreciate your advice but I think I will most probably use the charging cable without the dock while mounting my GPS on the dash and listen to the radio/CD player.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links