Google car dock received

This is a discussion on Google car dock received within the Nexus One Accessories forums, part of the Nexus One category; I just got my car dock... haven't had time to actually go to my car with it yet The dock itself seems very sturdy, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google car dock received

Google car dock received

I just got my car dock... haven't had time to actually go to my car with it yet

The dock itself seems very sturdy, and well done. I am concerned with one part of what I've read in its minimal documentation though: the docs say that when the phone is docked, a bluetooth connection between the phone and dock is automatically established (allowing the dock to be a speakerphone) and that no other bluetooth headset can be used at this time. That concerns me because my phone currently pairs with my car, which is likely to be a better connection for me, since I can answer the phone without taking my hands from the steering wheel, and since an active call automatically mutes my stereo until the call is complete.

Any idea if the pairing can be disabled between the phone and the dock? The instructions imply the pairing is automatic. There are three pins in the dock that mate with the three gold contacts on the bottom of the N1 (the USB port on the phone is not used when docked). Perhaps I could cover one of those pins to disable the bluetooth from pairing (at the expense of the phone not auto-starting the car dock app)?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

jeh
    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post

Any idea if the pairing can be disabled between the phone and the dock? The instructions imply the pairing is automatic. There are three pins in the dock that mate with the three gold contacts on the bottom of the N1 (the USB port on the phone is not used when docked). Perhaps I could cover one of those pins to disable the bluetooth from pairing (at the expense of the phone not auto-starting the car dock app)?

this is a good idea if it can't be done through software.. covering the middle pin should make the phone not think it's connected to the car dock. unless it blocks the power from charging unless all three pins have contact..

-j

jah
    I just had to respond here, too, since mah and jeh are here already. ;-)

also I've been wondering: does the speaker work for just the telephone part, or can you play music through it (ie if you had a car without an audio input jack).

I went out for lunch so I got the dock put in. When the phone is snapped in, a preference dialog opens with two options: one to enable/disable using the speaker phone, and another for playing music through it. I had others in the car so didn't take more time to experiment, but those options being present gave me some encouragement.

Definitely let us know here. It will be nice to see what we can find.
    Regards,
    TechieNewsMongral

tinyurl.com/techienewsmongral

First post here, and in fact I don't even have my N1 in hand yet, both it and the car dock are in transit. I'm looking forward to your impressions of the dock.
    For my purposes the dock would have been perfect if it had a 1/8" audio out jack to run into the line in on the car audio. Along that line, my plan is to break open the dock and mod it, installing a jack and hooking in before the speaker amplifier. This probably wouldn't be a big deal if I knew what I was doing. Life is full of learning experiences however.

My dock was scheduled to arrive today but I was still curious what others thought. I came to the forum, saw this thread and the second I opened it the Fed-Ex truck pulled up. cool!

First off, I am not all the tech savvy. I know enough to really like the stuff. I've been using a motorola H500 headset for calls and playing my music through my stero via bluetooth. I was able to still do so with the docking unit. As well as any combo (headset for calls, dock for music etc) All can be changed from car home screen-menu button -settings.

You Just got your car dock and want to know what to do next... This will be a comprehensible guide to help you understand the basics of operation on the car dock. the first thing you want to do is ensure you have everything to begin.

In the box you should have:
    The car dock
    Car charger that lugs into the dock and the cars 12v utility charger (cigerette lighter)
    Mounting disk
    When mounting the Dock into your car, you have two options. You can either mount it to your windshield in any desired position (as long as it doesn't obstruct the drivers view). Or you can mount the included disk that should be mounted on the dashboard using its adhesive backing to stick it to the dash or other flat surface.

Once mounted you will want to place your phone into the dock itself. After placement of the Nexus one into the dock, A preference dialog opens with two options:
    enable/disable using the speaker phone
    Audio transfer
    NOTE: Disabling the speaker phone will NOT allow for Bluetooth operations using a headset.

Once you chose the options that you want to do you will be looking at the Nexus's car home application in landscape mode. the options presented to you will be:
    View Map
    Navigation
    Voice search
    Contacts
    Search
    Home
    View map: Opens Google Maps

Navigation: Open to get turn by turn navigation spoken to you.

Voice search: Allows to have voice commands such as "call mike", "Navigat to <destination>", "Directions to <destination>".

Contacts: Touch to allow fo calling or navigating to their address(s).

Search: Touch to search the phone and the web.

Home: Touch to open the home screen.
    Regards,
    TechieNewsMongral

tinyurl.com/techienewsmongral

Quote Originally Posted by TechieNewsMongral View Post
    NOTE: Disabling the speaker phone will allow for Bluetooth operations using a headset.
    That's good to know, and definitely not the impression that the owner's manual left. Thanks for the write-up. Looking forward to receiving mine.

Just installed mine. Pretty slick. A little tough figuring out the telescope and how it moves as the base part doesn't go through the middle. It actually only moves around the edge of the ball joint.

Tip for placing the dock. Before suctioning the dock in place, lock the base to figure out where/how you want to place the dock. Once you figure out where/how you want the dock, hold the suction part and unlock the base, taking care to not move the suction part. After unlocked, suction the dock to the surface and then re-lock.

Cons of the Dock:
    1. Music player should be one of the options on Car Home
    2. Contacts should display in landscape mode since that is how I think most people will use the car dock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links