Car Dock first impression

This is a discussion on Car Dock first impression within the Nexus One Accessories forums, part of the Nexus One category; If you leave the dock plugged in after you take the phone out, does it still draw a charge? Does it have any lights on ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Car Dock first impression

If you leave the dock plugged in after you take the phone out, does it still draw a charge? Does it have any lights on the plug that stay on? Reason I'm asking is because some of these things act as vampires and will help to kill your car battery if forgotten about.

I don't think the 270 degree is made with a purpose. What kind of purpose or stability to rotate 270 degree clock-wise than 90 degree anti-clockwise. So rotating the other way will make it unstable? That just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, we have our headphone jack in the phone. But I don't want to plug it and unplug anytime I dock/undock it. Just like the phone has a micro USB port too. You have it in the dock so you don't need to plug/unplug the USB port anytime you use it.

If the dock headphone jack is not necessary, why do they have it in the desktop dock.

Well look at the back of the phone plate and how it interacts with the end of the extension. If it was made ot be free to move - it would have to go up, down, and whole 360 all around the ball, which, in turn, would loosen it up and therefore not be stable. With the way it currently it, there is only a specific range of motion, which preserves the tightness imo.

There are not that many cars that have aux input.. So perhaps it didnt make sense to make an AUX output research&design wise (cost)

The dock is INCREDIBLY well made.
    You don't have to rotate it 270degrees to change to landscape
    The pins on bottom are able to let the phone know it is docked and charge, it is not able to interact any other way so it connects through bluetooth. Whats the difference anyway? I can connect to both my cars bluetooth and the dock at the same time. My settings are always remembered. The phone streams music to my stereo and uses the dock and phone for calling, I think HUs suck at phone besides the N1 doesn't have Bluetooth voice dialing and the phone does it is easier to push the gigantic voice button on my phone and say who to call. It is better coming from people on the other end talking to me to.
    Because it docks I am able to make a setting to automatically launch Pandora and change my phone settings to the way I want in the car.
    The construction is awesome and holds the phone well
    It looks GREAT in my car.

Every stereo on earth has an input ability. Probably less than 10% of cars have input abilities. The dock is made to suit most people this way, since there is already an aux out on the phone.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Claw View Post
    If you leave the dock plugged in after you take the phone out, does it still draw a charge? Does it have any lights on the plug that stay on? Reason I'm asking is because some of these things act as vampires and will help to kill your car battery if forgotten about.
    doesn't do anything without a connection from your phone via the gold contacts.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

For those having problems with mounting, I found it works perfectly well with the beanbag mounts- extremely sturdy. Picked up a beanbag mount at Best Buy for about $25.

Quote Originally Posted by KoRTy View Post
    Well look at the back of the phone plate and how it interacts with the end of the extension. If it was made ot be free to move - it would have to go up, down, and whole 360 all around the ball, which, in turn, would loosen it up and therefore not be stable. With the way it currently it, there is only a specific range of motion, which preserves the tightness imo.

There are not that many cars that have aux input.. So perhaps it didnt make sense to make an AUX output research&design wise (cost)
    I don't care how the back of the phone looks. Google made the dock from scratch. They shouldn't be making it with limitations and ask user to work around the limitations.

I'm not saying it should be rotate freely 360 degree forever, it'll just break any wiring inside. I'm asking to change the phone from landscape to portrait or vice verse, it takes the unusual 270 degree then the shorter 90 degree. To preserves the tightness, they should make it 90 degree so it has less movement.

Go hold your phone portrait mode with your hand. With you change to landscape, you go with 90 degree. Ask 10 or 100 people to try it, they will all move it that way. That's common and good usability.

Most new cars has aux input. Old cars will have tape deck that people bought a $10 tape adapter that connect to 3.5mm adapter. Without the aux output, it just makes the dock less usable. Look at the back of your TV, it has all kinds of inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    You don't have to rotate it 270degrees to change to landscape.
    Can you explain how you can do that? After you dock the phone, if you want to change from lanscape mode to portrait or the other way, can you just rotate it 90 degree anti-clockwise?

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    You don't have to rotate it 270degrees to change to landscape.
    Can you explain how you can do that? After you dock the phone, if you want to change from lanscape mode to portrait or the other way, can you just rotate it 90 degree anti-clockwise?
    @ dimmakherbs Yes you do have to rotate it 270 degrees IF you dash mount it.

@ lunchbox Here is an explanation I placed on another forum which explains WHY dash installs required 270 rotate to flip, whereas windscreen install get away with 90 degree anticlockwise.

Because when dash mounted, the base and the attach point on the rear of the cradle is rotated 180 degrees about from the way it is when windscreen mounted. This means that the rotate stopper moves from the 4-5pm position that yours will be in, to a very inconvenient 10-11pm.
    As most of know, the stock phone rotation is currently organised so that the only way to flip the screen with a 90 degree turn from vertical, is leftwards from 12 to 9 pm. This movement is not possible with the cradle dash mounted, due to the rotate stopper which lives in the middle of the 90 degree turn at 10-11pm.
    A firmware update from google would fix this, allowing dash mounters to spin their dock 90 degree clockwise from 12 to 3. Instead of the current requirement to spin 270 degrees the long way round from 12 to 9.

The good news is that it seems highly unlikely that this issue will be with us for long. Surely googles next OTA will address it and implement 360 rotate sensing. Conjecture only, but it is possible that this issue is the reason for the long delay in car dock release. They may have held release until the OTA was imminent so this flaw will only piss off 10,000 cardock users for 1 month instead of 100,000 for 6 months. Here's hoping.

Now I have had my dock for a week sitting in its box. Today is the first chance I have had to install it. Cant wait.

Okay, I just tried it with the wind sheld mount. It does become 90 degree rotation to get from Landscape to Portrait.. =) I will take back all my harsh comment about the rotation.. Hopefully the next OTA will fix that landscape mode allowing it to rotate either side.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links