I've seen a ton of charger questons..

This is a discussion on I've seen a ton of charger questons.. within the Nexus One Accessories forums, part of the Nexus One category; ...but I did not kow where to put this. So I started a new one. I hope its not intrusive, and only mean it to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've seen a ton of charger questons..

I've seen a ton of charger questons..

...but I did not kow where to put this. So I started a new one. I hope its not intrusive, and only mean it to be simple

I got a car charger for my new Nexus One. it is 600 M A ???, I then read the 1A is the best? Does that mean faster charging? Are these charges faster, but not as "real" or long lasting as the home charger.

So I got one at Best Buy, the one I said 600MA or whatever the term is, then I read that . The brand is Rocketfish

Is it much more important, and how much faster, if I get the 1A

If I should get the 1A, any links?

If not, what is better, the Rocketfish OR this one
    Nexus One Rapid Car Charger - Original (OEM) SPN5400A

Or there is one at Seidio online for $29, I always shop there, and great, but I just want something different and cheaper, if you know what I mean

Also, I would like to get an extended life battery, what is the original, 1200 something? an extended one at Seidio is 1600??, skinny for $49, is that the best, and then there is a fatter one a 2400?? if I am not mistaken, but I dont want the extra size. What is the largest capacity battery without adding size?? Thx

Thanks
    Eric

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The speed of recharge largely depends on the draw of the circuit. IIRC, the Nexus One was seen to draw just over 700ma under load on a near-empty cell, so obviously a 1A charger would feed the cell as fast as it needs..a 600ma charger would recharge just slightly slower than it can draw, so I doubt it's worth purchasing an 'upgrade' charger, just to gain the extra time. If you had a 500ma charger, it WOULD be worth an upgrade to a 1A, as the time you'd be 'buying' would be more significant. The link you show does not have a specification wrt it's output, so it needs to be hunted down elsewhere to know if it is 1A or not.

Wow

Alpha, thanks for being so quick to respond, but kind, concise, and I know I am not always clear, and concise. Something I have to deal with. You did not make it a big deal, that means a lot. If you see me on the forum, now, in the future, and years to come, please know that I try

So let me see, basically the Nexus pulls as 700ma. What does that stand for? millionth of an amp? and 1A would be one amp? So if it pulls at 700ma, and I got one that puts out 600ma, it is only 100ma from what the Nexus could actually take, so not really missing that much. But if it was 500ma, that would be 200ma, or 400 woulid be a 300ma difference, so I want to invest in a 1A, correct? I think so, and have my fingers crossed

Could you give me a couple of options for a 1A. I guess they don't make 700ma?

As far as the link that I gave, I simply got that on the forum, so I too don't know much about it.

My options now are:

1. To stick with what I have? Rocketfish

2. Get a 600ma one online from 1.95 to 15.00...Are cheaper ones bad. What do I look for. Either Nexus One compatible on the specs OR micro usb input? correct?

3. To get a 1A from SeidioOnline or somewhere you may or may not have.

Thanks again

ps
    In regards to a previous post, I will ask here, you can PM me if you like, cause, aren't forum rules "supposed" to keep talking about one topic

I asked about cases. I got one at Beyond Electronics in the mall until mine come. LOL I actually LOVE It. It is reminiscent of the ifrog for the BB, bright Blue plastic over a black rubber. Seen it? Then I have coming, the Tough Case in black, with blue and green AND the Case-Tough in Blue. I have something about me that usually wouldn't worry about what people say about the color I wear rotflmao, but have you seen the Tough Case, I don't think that the blue and green are to "unmanly", I was gonna say "feminine" but I am a little more PC. Its just a fun, and a fun one, so I think that goes with the theme?

Finally the question, would you have gone with the case(s) as I did, or would you have gone with no case so it could be used with the dock, which I love docks (I hear it doesnt lock in very well tho), Or gone with the seidio cases which I ALWAYS get and got somethin I didn't want, just to get their dock?

I could take off the case each night, but seems pointless and extra work, doesn't it

I know that is part of my old post, u just seemed to have good 411 so I figured I would post, If you would, and I hope you do, please PM me (and I do know it is only opinion) or answer here if allowed.

Everyone enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend. One more day of a ten day house sit. I CAN NOT wait to get home to my own apartment, know what I mean.

btw, any comment on the extended battery?

Quote Originally Posted by eric0668 View Post
    Alpha, thanks for being so quick to respond, but kind, concise, and I know I am not always clear, and concise. Something I have to deal with. You did not make it a big deal, that means a lot. If you see me on the forum, now, in the future, and years to come, please know that I try

So let me see, basically the Nexus pulls as 700ma. What does that stand for? millionth of an amp? and 1A would be one amp? So if it pulls at 700ma, and I got one that puts out 600ma, it is only 100ma from what the Nexus could actually take, so not really missing that much. But if it was 500ma, that would be 200ma, or 400 woulid be a 300ma difference, so I want to invest in a 1A, correct? I think so, and have my fingers crossed
    ma=milliamp, a thousandth. 1000ma=1A, 500ma=.5A,etc. Correct, I see no reason to fret over a 600ma charger..it's 'close enough'...I feel differently about a 500ma, especially since most folks aren't in their cars long enough to fully recharge their phones at that rating.

Could you give me a couple of options for a 1A. I guess they don't make 700ma?

As far as the link that I gave, I simply got that on the forum, so I too don't know much about it.
    Simply shop for Nexus One charger on eBay,Froogle or similar, and look for output specs.

My options now are:

1. To stick with what I have? Rocketfish

2. Get a 600ma one online from 1.95 to 15.00...Are cheaper ones bad. What do I look for. Either Nexus One compatible on the specs OR micro usb input? correct?

3. To get a 1A from SeidioOnline or somewhere you may or may not have.

Thanks again
    Correct. Cheap ones CAN be bad, but so can expensive ones. I would also look for 'switched or switch-type' many indeed are, or 'regulated', all of which mean they provide a steady voltage at their rating (12V to 5V step down), as opposed to unregulated voltage, which can often run MUCH higher than advertised 5V.

ps
    In regards to a previous post, I will ask here, you can PM me if you like, cause, aren't forum rules "supposed" to keep talking about one topic

I asked about cases. I got one at Beyond Electronics in the mall until mine come. LOL I actually LOVE It. It is reminiscent of the ifrog for the BB, bright Blue plastic over a black rubber. Seen it? Then I have coming, the Tough Case in black, with blue and green AND the Case-Tough in Blue. I have something about me that usually wouldn't worry about what people say about the color I wear rotflmao, but have you seen the Tough Case, I don't think that the blue and green are to "unmanly", I was gonna say "feminine" but I am a little more PC. Its just a fun, and a fun one, so I think that goes with the theme?
    Cases are an entirely personal thing, aside from the obvious protection they provide. 'Let your freak flag fly' as they say...do what makes YOU happy, and care less what anyone else thinks...unless they're paying your bills!

Finally the question, would you have gone with the case(s) as I did, or would you have gone with no case so it could be used with the dock, which I love docks (I hear it doesnt lock in very well tho), Or gone with the seidio cases which I ALWAYS get and got somethin I didn't want, just to get their dock?

I could take off the case each night, but seems pointless and extra work, doesn't it
    I'm naked, because of the dock, but the phone is otherwise always in it own OEM neoprene cover, AND in the BUILT 'Hoodie small camera case' when mobile. Pre-dock, I had a conventional cheapie rubberised snap-case, and while it didn't fit in it's OEM cover anymore, it fit snugly in the BUILT camera case with the snap-case fitted. I've been considering the Seidio Inno-case II, which looks VERY easy to remove..alas, just pulling it out of the Hoodie/OEM neoprene combo seems quicker for me in the car.

I know that is part of my old post, u just seemed to have good 411 so I figured I would post, If you would, and I hope you do, please PM me (and I do know it is only opinion) or answer here if allowed.

Everyone enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend. One more day of a ten day house sit. I CAN NOT wait to get home to my own apartment, know what I mean.

btw, any comment on the extended battery?
    I only use the OEM battery, sorry.

djb
    Pretty much every car charger out there is going to be switching power supply. The chip to do this is far less expensive than a "linear regulator" because it doesn't need a heat sink.

Even the least expensive switching chips are very good at voltage regulation. There are so few external components that it's pretty difficult for a designer to screw this up. There are some chargers, notably for Motorola phones, that intentionally provide 5.5V or 6.0V to trigger a fast-charge mode in the phone -- the phone detects the slightly higher voltage and draws a full 1 amp instead of the USB standard of 500mA. (Some Motorola phones actually implement the USB spec and only draw 100mA until they negotiate with the host computer to draw the full 500mA. The 5.5V charger level was so that a 'dumb' charger could be used.)

Most chips, even the cheapest ones, will supply a full 1 amp of current. Some chargers using these chips may be de-rated because of heat build-up if you draw that current continuously. But it's mostly marketing if the label says 500mA (the original USB spec), 600mA, 750mA or 1A.

One of the things that irks me is that bogus claims on most chargers. They often say "intelligent IC chip inside recognizes a full battery and automatically switch to a saver mode" or "never heats or overcharges the battery". This is flat out a lie. The charger provides 5V, and that's all it can do. The battery control circuitry in the phone does the charge control and thermal monitoring.

Bottom line is that you should select the charger based on the physical quality and design, not on some likely-mistaken belief that it is electrically better.

This one is certainly not THE Original Nexus One Rapid Car Charger since Google / HTC don't ship a car charger with the Nexus One. I would be very suspicious of any company making this type of false claim.
    :nexusx:

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Quote Originally Posted by kevindaledavis View Post
    This one is certainly not THE Original Nexus One Rapid Car Charger since Google / HTC don't ship a car charger with the Nexus One. I would be very suspicious of any company making this type of false claim.
    :nexusx:
    That picture is identical to one they sell in our local Halfords Store for 3
    Seen as it has Motorola branding all over it, how can it be classed as OEM for N1 ???

Motorola P513 12v In Car Charger from Halfords Price 3.00

Quote Originally Posted by djb View Post
    Pretty much every car charger out there is going to be switching power supply.
    I think this should be limited to 'the better quality, better designed units' in the market. I have strong suspicions a $2-3 eBay unit does NOT have reliable switching regulators in their designs, otherwise we wouldn't be hearing stories of overheating/hot phones and batteries. If they're performing properly and outputting voltage in an acceptable range, the excess heat should be minimal.

Bottom line is that you should select the charger based on the physical quality and design, not on some likely-mistaken belief that it is electrically better.
    More or less what I said above. They go hand in hand...you get what you pay for, usually. An actual brand name item will be more likely to have been properly spec'd.

djb
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Pretty much every car charger out there is going to be switching power supply.
    I think this should be limited to 'the better quality, better designed units' in the market.
    No, pretty much they all use the one of just a few switching power supply chips, and all of the chips are pretty good. These chips need very few external components, typically only a resistor and capacitor. The designer can't screw up.

Many also have an LED and dropping resistor, but that's not an important part of the circuit.

No, pretty much they all use the one of just a few switching power supply chips, and all of the chips are pretty good. These chips need very few external components, typically only a resistor and capacitor. The designer can't screw up.

Many also have an LED and dropping resistor, but that's not an important part of the circuit.
    I've seen my fair share of simple circuits that the designer 'screwed up' (charge circuits without ANY polarity protection is still shockingly common-pun!), not to mention the use of poorly spec'd (or outright poor components: Taiwanese capacitors in my Shuttle mobo's for example) to know that rock-bottom priced units are more likely to possess poor design/poor components than even slighly higher-priced units which typically include superior design and components. If your 3 dollar auto charger has the cheap Taiwan cap instead of the more expensive Japanese cap the 8 dollar unit has, guess what suffers when the cheaper cap fails. Feel free to buy the cheapest, but recognise that others may prefer and recommend something a bit better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links