Question about the Google car dock

This is a discussion on Question about the Google car dock within the Nexus One Accessories forums, part of the Nexus One category; I know this is pretty pathetic to ask considering I own the dock but I'm stuck at my desk for the next few hours. I ...

Thread: Question about the Google car dock

Question about the Google car dock

I know this is pretty pathetic to ask considering I own the dock but I'm stuck at my desk for the next few hours. I wish I could have tested this out but I just haven't had the chance and every phone call I've received in the car thus far has been too important to risk losing a connection.

Basically, I use the dock whenever I'm in the car. I use my phone as my music player and the dock speakers are definitely not up to that so I plug a cable from the headphone jack into my AUX port in the car. This works great for playing music. I am wondering what happens when a call comes through and I'm listening to music this way? I know the music gets muted but can I pickup the call while leaving the cord in the headphone jack and have the call go through the dock or does the phone think that I have a mic on whatever is coming out of the headphone jack causing the other person to not hear me? Does the other person come in over the car speakers? Are there any settings I need to configure to have the calls come in over the dock but still leave the AUX line plugged in?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by ellesshoo View Post
    I know this is pretty pathetic to ask considering I own the dock but I'm stuck at my desk for the next few hours. I wish I could have tested this out but I just haven't had the chance and every phone call I've received in the car thus far has been too important to risk losing a connection.

Basically, I use the dock whenever I'm in the car. I use my phone as my music player and the dock speakers are definitely not up to that so I plug a cable from the headphone jack into my AUX port in the car. This works great for playing music. I am wondering what happens when a call comes through and I'm listening to music this way? I know the music gets muted but can I pickup the call while leaving the cord in the headphone jack and have the call go through the dock or does the phone think that I have a mic on whatever is coming out of the headphone jack causing the other person to not hear me? Does the other person come in over the car speakers? Are there any settings I need to configure to have the calls come in over the dock but still leave the AUX line plugged in?
    I got mine recently and have been playing with it a bit, my setup is same as you (3.5mm audio cord). I haven't actually received a call while driving yet, but here is what I do when I'm making a call.

Press Mute on my car stereo (music is obviously still playing on the N1). Make my call with the dock software (voice dial over bluetooth). No problems, it's like the music software isn't even running. I've no reason to suspect it would behave any different when receiving a call either

I suspect the bluetooth is just overriding the 3.5mm jack.

I haven't received any calls since I got the dock, but here's what happened when I was connected this way on my last road trip:

3.5 mm jack to aux input on my Alpine head unit. Car charger connected to USB. When the call came in, the music paused (not just muted...it picked back up right where it left off) and the callers voice went straight thru the car speakers, while the phone's mic picked up my voice just fine.

I hope that's how it works with the dock in use, because that was just perfect for me!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links