Micro SD

This is a discussion on Micro SD within the Nexus One Accessories forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hi, im pretty new at picking out micro sd's and have no idea where to start. These two are on the N1 Forum Store SanDisk ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Micro SD

Twitter
    Nd1razor

Micro SD

Hi, im pretty new at picking out micro sd's and have no idea where to start.

These two are on the N1 Forum Store

SanDisk 16GB microSDHC Card - HTC Google Nexus One All microSD Cards - Nexus One Forum Store
    Dane-Elec 16GB microSDHC Card for HTC Google Nexus One - HTC Google Nexus One All microSD Cards - Nexus One Forum Store

there is a great difference in price and the classes of these are not mentioned.
    Why the price difference?

Im assuming these definitely work with the N1, has anyone bought either?

Also, any better offers out there?

I live in the UK and was wondering appx how much shipping would be.

thanks in advance

-Fury

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

SanDisk is first tier ('Name Brand') while Dane-Elec is not. Both have Class 2 ratings, but the Dane-Elec also includes a full-size SD adapter..a small but important bonus. I think the cheaper Dane-Elec would be just fine, and you should not really be able to tell any difference in performance between the two.

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    Thanks for the reply,

Class 2 means 2mb/s right?

I have a card reader and can transfer through usb when in the phone anyway.

Thanks again

-Fury

Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post
    Thanks for the reply,

Thanks again

-Fury
    Class 2 means that it uploads and downloads at the slowest speed. I would not get a class 2 16GB HDMSD card. I've got an 8GB Kingston class 4 card that works just fine. I paid $20 for it. Unfortunately the 16GB Kingston jumps up significantly in price.

My card is chock full of music and a couple videos and still is quite snappy. Uploads aren't real fast, but that's not a real problem for me.

I use a 16gb A-Data Class 6 from NewEgg I believe. Works great in my N1
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post
    Thanks for the reply,

Thanks again

-Fury
    Class 2 means that it uploads and downloads at the slowest speed. I would not get a class 2 16GB HDMSD card. I've got an 8GB Kingston class 4 card that works just fine. I paid $20 for it. Unfortunately the 16GB Kingston jumps up significantly in price.

My card is chock full of music and a couple videos and still is quite snappy. Uploads aren't real fast, but that's not a real problem for me.
    Class rating is ONLY in regards to WRITE speed and is the MINIMUM write speed that the card will meet.

Not to complain about you in particular, but there is a ton of false information regarding this in forums all over the place.

A class 2 card has a guaranteed WRITE speed of 2MB/second. The read speeds will be much higher and the typical WRITE speeds are often much higher than the MINIMUM. The 4GB cards that comes with the N1 is a class 2 card and it does everything just fine.

I purchased a class 2 16GB card and got a little over 6MB/second transferring my music to the card.

If you are transferring a large amount of data (music, video, etc.), then indeed the class 4/6 card will be faster. But you will pay for it. You don't do that many copies TO the card, so it's not really that great a benefit.

So if you like to spend money, buy the high class cards. But it's not as much of a difference as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Class rating is ONLY in regards to WRITE speed and is the MINIMUM write speed that the card will meet.

Not to complain about you in particular, but there is a ton of false information regarding this in forums all over the place.

A class 2 card has a guaranteed WRITE speed of 2MB/second. The read speeds will be much higher and the typical WRITE speeds are often much higher than the MINIMUM. The 4GB cards that comes with the N1 is a class 2 card and it does everything just fine.

I purchased a class 2 16GB card and got a little over 6MB/second transferring my music to the card.

If you are transferring a large amount of data (music, video, etc.), then indeed the class 4/6 card will be faster. But you will pay for it. You don't do that many copies TO the card, so it's not really that great a benefit.

So if you like to spend money, buy the high class cards. But it's not as much of a difference as you think.
    First of all, I agree w/ everything said here.

I have a 16mb SanDisk class 6 and wish that I could have found a higher class at the time. Why? Because of endless waiting for DLs to complete. I DL lots of videos, audio files, .pdf, etc to the phone. I use these in class when teaching, moving them to the school's system for presentation, then deleting from phone.

I realize most of the delay comes from the redundancy challenges of the host servers, but some is also due to the write speed of the card, especially when writing indexes, menus, etc. Nested .pdf seem to be the worst.

The write speed really makes a difference and I could see myself being very unhappy if I had to deal with a class 2 card.

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    Thanks alot for the info, really helpful, personally the speed doesn't really matter to me, i have no quarrels leaving my laptop on for a couple of hours to get the mass of data transferred, but after the first time, its going to be small files i usually transfer, if at all.

The speed of the 4gb that came with the phone works fine for me, so id rather not pay for class.

However, if you do use your phone like a flash drive, then i see how a Class 6 would be really helpful.

Thinking about it, if i had a 32Gb, i would probably put movies on it, and at the same time, make me wish i had a better Class.

i need the $ first >.>

Thanks for the info again!

Beer,
    I've read in a few forums that people were having audio sync issues recording on 720p. Some suggested that a higher class sdcard should fix the problem and make the videos play better/smoother. What's your opinion on that. I'm thinking about getting a new micro sdcard because now that i'm rooted, the stock sdcard is no longer sufficient. Got any recommendations, bro?
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    Beer,
    I've read in a few forums that people were having audio sync issues recording on 720p. Some suggested that a higher class sdcard should fix the problem and make the videos play better/smoother. What's your opinion on that. I'm thinking about getting a new micro sdcard because now that i'm rooted, the stock sdcard is no longer sufficient. Got any recommendations, bro?
    I haven't done any video at 720p yet, so I'll have to check that out. But, as I mentioned, a class 2 card has a guaranteed minimum write speed of 2MB/second. That's 16Mb/second. That's plenty fast for anything.

Standard definition DVD video is only around 8Mb/second.

In my experience, audio sync issues often have to do with the video player and not the content. I will look into it.

Additional notes after looking at 720p recording:
    There is definitely a problem with audio sync in the 720p videos.
    I HIGHLY doubt that it has anything to do with SD card speed. The reasons are:
    1) The video looks perfect (no corruption or glitches in the video)
    2) Audio is a very small fraction of the data compared to the video.

If the was just an SD card speed issue, the video would be the first thing to get corrupted. Also, it seems that nothing is getting dropped. The audio sounds fine, it's just not synced properly with the video.

It seems like a software problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links