HOT! phone while in car dock

This is a discussion on HOT! phone while in car dock within the Nexus One Accessories forums, part of the Nexus One category; I have been using my car dock because I have been doing a lot of driving lately. I normally don't use any of the functions ...

Thread: HOT! phone while in car dock

HOT! phone while in car dock

I have been using my car dock because I have been doing a lot of driving lately. I normally don't use any of the functions of the dock or music but last Saturday I was using the Navigation feature. I noticed that the last few times that I have removed my phone from the dock the handset has been very warm/almost hot. The plastic base is cool but the cord and the cord head that plugs into the power point has also been very warm.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is this a problem or is this just normal for the car dock? I was thinking about contacting Google or HTC about this but I wanted to ask here if anyone else has experienced this type of issue.

I know this phone is smokin' hot, but this is ridiculous.

2. is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I've been using the car dock for navigation for a long time now and everytime is use it the phone gets hot as well. The use of gps takes a lot of power which produces heat and the continuous charging adds to this heat as well. Haven't had any problems because of this heat though.

I don't think HTC or Google can do anything about this. Try using your GPS without the car dock, the phone will heat up then too.

I haven't noticed if it's just the Nav app that causes this but I will take the time to pay more attention. Thanks for the note.

This is normal, my phone gets quite hot sometimes while charging, i cant say much for the dock though as i use mine on my motorcycle so i naturally get a lot of cooling lol whenever the N1 does something demanding while plugged in it is natural that it will get hot so don't worry
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

The real time navigation eats a lot of processing power, which causes the unit to get warm. Charging the phone with the 12 volt adaptor also contributes to the heat. It seems to be a normal part of this phone and hadn't has any adverse affects other than a warm phone. This is also common with the original Droid and it's car dock using the navigation.

Mine gets hot using Nav so i turn off the app when not needed and it cools down. I worry in the summer as this and the summer temps might melt the plastic.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links