Is the USB master? Can I connect webcam, HDD etc?

This is a discussion on Is the USB master? Can I connect webcam, HDD etc? within the Nexus One Accessories forums, part of the Nexus One category; I wonder if the USB on the Nexus One allows me to connect an external hard drive, an external webcam and so on. And if ...

Thread: Is the USB master? Can I connect webcam, HDD etc?

Question Is the USB master? Can I connect webcam, HDD etc?

I wonder if the USB on the Nexus One allows me to connect an external hard drive, an external webcam and so on. And if not, is it a hardware-wise limitation, or could the deficiency be mended by booting other software than the OS supplied?

I'm asking because some mobile devices only allow USB communication in order to make them slaves to PC-applications. And I have no need of such crap.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

i dont know what the heck your talking about,, but i am interested, i will come back here a bit later to read newly added posts.

as far as i know,, there is no usb on the nexus one... if your talking about a "wire" that has one end to connect into the bottom of the nexus one and the other end to connect into an external hard drive,,, that would be cool (but it is not a usb wire)

i would like that same wire to connect my nexus one straight to my digital camera. (so i dont have to take my computer with me on vacation) i could then take excellant pictures on my canon camera and then transfer them "thru the wire" to my nexus one and email them out.

is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by jdeproductions View Post
    as far as i know,, there is no usb on the nexus one... if your talking about a "wire" that has one end to connect into the bottom of the nexus one and the other end to connect into an external hard drive,,, that would be cool (but it is not a usb wire)
    Specifications say that it has a micro-USB and they have four wires (data in and out, power and ground). My question is wether it is possible to use the Nexus One as a USB master for hard drives and cameras, as you also explain. I'm asking, because some USB-devices can only be used as slaves, for example as an external USB drive to a PC master.

mah
    I don't know which set of USB capabilities the N1 has, but it definitely supports USB; jdeproductions is less than informed on this subject.

As to supporting USB Master (or, more appropriate for a port that definitely suports Slave, USB On The Go (OTG)), that comes down to what the SnapDragon CPU supports. I didn't find anything (in a low-effort search) regarding this on Qualcomm's website, but they didn't seem to mention USB at all... perhaps USB is now ubiquitous and not worth mentioning?

Thank you for your answer. The capability of the USB seems to be unclear, yet.

sounds unlikely...link is not specifically about an N1, but may help you along: connect htc g1 to external device via mini-usb - android-platform | Google Groups

however, i'd really recommend you ask that question over here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/
    you may have better luck getting some direction from a more "techie" member-base...

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links