Ghost armor - my experience

This is a discussion on Ghost armor - my experience within the Nexus One Accessories forums, part of the Nexus One category; I ended up investing a fair amount of time researching skins for my N1 last week - mainly searching forms and YouTube for top contenders ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghost armor - my experience

Ghost armor - my experience

I ended up investing a fair amount of time researching skins for my N1 last week - mainly searching forms and YouTube for top contenders for screen and body protectors. These are the ones which came up most often:

I chose Ghost Armor due to its lifetime warranty (replaced anytime just for the cost of shipping or ~$5), positive reviews, and lower price.

The purchase process was a breeze - address, credit card, etc. Received email confirmations of the order received, and order shipped, but no tracking number. Shipping was USPS, and took about 3 days to reach me.

Inside the box were instructions, two spray bottles of wetting solution, and a squeegee. I was surprised to see it was in 6 pieces total: screen, top back, bottom back, mid-back / sides, top front, and top back.

After reading all the reviews of the product, I knew what to do. It took about 1 hour for the installation, and then another hour afterwards pressing down the corners, edges, etc. to make sure they were sticking as the glue dried. Pay attention to the screen piece - there is a notch in it for the face sensor that turns the screen off while you're talking. That notch goes at the top of your screen.

The key steps to successfully installing Ghost Armor are as follows:

• Wash your hands thoroughly and don't touch your skin afterwards!
    • Don't touch the back (glue-side) of the protectors, just touch the front and the sides
    • Do it in the bathroom and run a hot shower first to humidy the room and keep the dust down
    • Take your time and clean all the dust off your N1 with a microfiber cloth
    • Take the time to get the corners right
    • Help it dry
    • Let it dry thoroughly before using!!!

For the corners, if you don't place the end piece properly, the material will automatically bag and pucker as it curves. If you see it doing that, pick up that end piece and reposition it. Eventually it will stay and nothing will pucker. Keep pressing any small gaps down and they will eventually stay in place.

Make sure you help it dry. By that I mean after you install it, the glue is still wet and edges or corners have a tendency to fall away from the phone or gap up. If you hold these spots down for a few minutes they will stick in place. Do this enough times and they will stick permanently. So plan on spending the hour or so after you install the Ghost Armor pressing down and holding the corners, edges, etc. in place while the glue sets. Don't do this, and your Ghost Armor will eventually peel off. It's worth the time to do it right the first time.

Let it dry a full 48 hours! This was my mistake. I let it sit overnight turned off an unmolested. About 28 hours later, it looked dry, and everything was fine so I put it in my pocket and went out. Came back a few hours later and the back and sides were fine, but a I had a few large creases in the front. It looks like the screen hadn't fully dried and had been pushed around a bit over the course of the evening. Most of the ripples smoothed back out over a few days, but the creases haven't disappeared so I'm going to have to make use of my warranty and get a new screen piece. So this is my final piece of advice - make sure you give it a full 48 hours to dry before placing any stress on it (throwing it in your pocket, purse, etc.), especially the screen. It's hard to do, but it's worth the wait.

I love my newly protected N1. It's easier to grip, doesn't slide around as much, and there's absolutely NO orange peel effect. Two thumbs up from this reviewer.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Or just don't worry about it. Seems kind of OCD to protect a phone IMO.

Ordered ghost armor for my Blackberry Bold 9700, only cause Zagg (Invisible Shield) was out of stock. Worst screen protector ever! Got it in the mail and was not even cut to fit over the entire screen, not to mention the corners were all different as if someone just cut it out with a pair of scissors. Not a good impression at all.
    I've been using Zagg for years and all my electronic devices have them!

mah
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Bimmer View Post
    Or just don't worry about it. Seems kind of OCD to protect a phone IMO.
    Because something that costs $530 to replace isn't worth $15 to protect against cosmetic damage? Sure, phone skins won't protect you against most damage that would actually cause the phone to stop working, but people accidentally drop phones all the time... I'd rather have a gash in my replaceable skin than in the device itself.

Junior Member Louis_sprintdroids's Avatar
    Its funny how those 4 products are $14 and above but you can get a Gadgetshieldz for $7.
    So you get 2 Gadgetshieldz for 1 Ghostarmor. Gadgetshiedlz also provides free shipping. I don't see why people should waste up to $30 on protective covers like InvisibleShield and the rest. Scratch protection isn't supposed to be that costly.

why protect a heavy duty scratch resistant screen ? Maybe to protect the back cover ? Those shield things just looks like crap to me and chances are they reduce screen responsiveness. (wich is already a problem for some N1 users lol)

I had the phone for 7 months, no protective shield, except a basic silicon case, and there is not a single scratch on it. Never dropped the phone either.

I just take care of it.

had mine for 14 months and could sell as new
    my other phone's a nexus too

Quote Originally Posted by tonybhoy View Post
    had mine for 14 months and could sell as new
    Yup. Same here

Posted from my sweet Nexus One on GB via Hit'n'Yak

Unfortunately, I dropped my on asphalt while trying to slip it into my pocket. I'd taken the case off for some strange reason. Now it has some cosmetic damage, but nothing overwhelming. Of coarse I now have a very nice black case on it and it look bee-you-tee-full!

If you plan to resell

I only protect mine with the intent to resell, otherwise yeah you can let your device go, that's really up to you. With tech changing all the time it's really the wise thing to do... It at least gives you that option, that if you take care of your stuff you might get some good change in the process, just saying ! But free country do what you want...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links