Otterbox Case

This is a discussion on Otterbox Case within the Nexus One Accessories forums, part of the Nexus One category; does anyone know if the commuter will fit into the original dock?...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Otterbox Case

does anyone know if the commuter will fit into the original dock?

I brought the camera with me to work today- I'll upload some photos later!

This is the first Nexus One case I've had myself, not sure how it fares against the Innocase. Having used it for the long weekend I have some dislikes about it- but overall it's not a bad case. I'll provide more details when I get the photos up...

Quote Originally Posted by diab0lik View Post
    does anyone know if the commuter will fit into the original dock?

there is a rubber flap that can be pulled back to expose the usb connector and a hole at the bottom to expose the mic... however, the 3 gold docking contacts are covered by the rubber bodyglove.

i haven't come across a case that actually exposes the docking contacts.. maybe the innocase.. but if you go this route i believe you are giving up the added impact protection of a soft-hard case design.

CORRECTION:

took a look at the seido dock and it appears to be just a usb jack.. i guess those gold contact points are for something else.. this being the case, i don't see any problem docking the phone with the case on.

The official Google dock does use the 3 gold contact points. None of the other docks I've seen do; instead using the micro-USB connector.

The otterbox commuter case for nexus one doesn't fit the original desktop dock. It fits into the original sleeve, but it's quite tight.

Quote Originally Posted by cheungri View Post
    what's the verdict?
    is this better than the innocase II?
    i'm using an innocase II now, so i'll be able to tell you in about an hour when my otterbox arrives!

so i just installed the otterbox case. i also have the innocase II.

first impressions of otterbox?
    Pro's:
    - Not as bulky as i imagined at all. very slim.
    - seems very protective, much more so than innocase. could comfortably drop this from pocket/hip height and not be worried.
    - does not dig up my invisible shield like innocase did (THIS DROVE ME NUTS ABOUT INNOCASE)
    - Silicon does not collect dust, it is a very smooth, but grippy finish. very much like the innocaseII texture.

Cons:
    - Probably going to cut off the plug covers, they are wicked annoying considering i use the innocase dock at work here.
    - the silicon is not as robust as it seems to look on the site. it is definitely going to have the same issues that I had with my hybrid cases for my iphone. the exposed silicon not being held directly down by plastic seem like they will stretch eventually, and become annoying to pull in/out of pocket.

So, overall I do like the case, however, time will tell to see how the silicon holds up. i will be using it instead of my innocase for now. as i am wicked paranoid about dropping and breaking this $540 investment LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RevAaron View Post
    I got one! Ordered it the day they notified me they were ready for purchase. Just got the FedEx box, putting the case on now. I'd take a photo, except the only camera I have with me at work is my N1.

I used the following coupon code for 10% off the order plus free FedEx ground shipping:

techbargains6100p

Just ordered using the code. Thanks. This will be my 4th case and hopefully last. The first was a 2 part (front/back) plastic snap on which was horrible. The second was the seidio innocase II surface and it was OK not enough protection for me. Then I got a no-name Gellicase (identical to the Case-Mate one but no logo and different pattern) which I love but still seemed like a drop would do some damage. Now I just ordered the OtterBox Commuter Series Case. I hope this case is the last one I have to order or I am going to end up spending more on cases than the phone. I also need a case that is easily removable to use with the Car and Home docks. Hope this one makes me happy.

i have dropped my phone twice this week >< so far its just been off my bedside table so theres been no damage, but its only a matter of time.. i know it.

Im seriously considering buying an otterbox but i am curious of the two available options which offers better drop protection, i would assume the impact due to its name and that whole funky waffle thing it has going on inside it, but the commuter is more expensive? why? Because it has a hardshell too? Why would we even want that? im sure it wont save it if my fat ass sits on it lol.

The pics do not show an inside view of the commuter, does anyone know if it has the same coring thing designed to dissipate shock inside it. why else would it cost an extra 15 dollars when its sarcrafising drop protection for some unnecessary outer reinforcement?
    Wow my phone does everything .. except play WoW
    _____
    |derp |
    ŻŻŻŻ\|
    ------+----(thaddius)++++++++++

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lisa.nexus.one View Post
    i have dropped my phone twice this week >< so far its just been off my bedside table so theres been no damage, but its only a matter of time.. i know it.

Im seriously considering buying an otterbox but i am curious of the two available options which offers better drop protection, i would assume the impact due to its name and that whole funky waffle thing it has going on inside it, but the commuter is more expensive? why? Because it has a hardshell too? Why would we even want that? im sure it wont save it if my fat ass sits on it lol.

The pics do not show an inside view of the commuter, does anyone know if it has the same coring thing designed to dissipate shock inside it. why else would it cost an extra 15 dollars when its sarcrafising drop protection for some unnecessary outer reinforcement?

the price point for both cases is pretty high.. i presume it's due to the name recognition of the otterbox brand. but hey, what's $35 to protect $530+?

As i indicated in response to my other thread, the commuter doesn't have a waffle design for the inner, rubber case. not sure how much of a difference this makes on impacts because it is only on the back (ie. this waffle design doesn't enhance protection if impact is face down or on he sides or corners)

i would take note of the above comment about the rubber possibly stretching over time.. if you put an all rubber case in your pocket, the friction from taking it out/putting it in may accelerate the stretching (this is just my speculation tho)... if you plan on carrying it a purse or something, i don't think this would be an issue.

as for the commuter case, it's extra cost and the function of the two piece design:

cost - it's higher because of the additional material and design

design - rubber gives impact absorption; hard shell protects from scratches and probably piercing (on the back)

side notes:

i carry my n1 with the commuter case in a nite ize carrying case, but if you were to carry the cased phone in your pocket, the shell makes it easier to put in and take out, as it causes less friction than rubber alone (less lint is attracted to it as well)..

ALSO! not sure if the pure rubber case has this feature, but i've noticed that with the commuter case, if you place the phone face down on a flat surface (ie. table), the trackball DOES NOT make contact, which i think is either a very good, or very lucky design feature.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links