Audio from Micro USB?

This is a discussion on Audio from Micro USB? within the Nexus One Accessories forums, part of the Nexus One category; I was wondering if anybody knows for sure if the Micro USB port on the Nexus supports audio. I'm trying to find a single cable ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio from Micro USB?

Audio from Micro USB?

I was wondering if anybody knows for sure if the Micro USB port on the Nexus supports audio. I'm trying to find a single cable solution to charging the phone and listening to music in my car w/o resorting to bluetooth. I found this adapter on Amazon but:

a. It doesn't allow me to charge the unit
    b. I don't know if the Nexus even supports audio through the USB

I spoke to a rep @ Google Tech Support and after some research he came back and said that it does but he didn't sound to sure of himself. I called HTC Tech Support and they were clueless and transferred me to accessories. Anyone have any idea if it supports audio, and if so, any 2-in-1 adapters out there so I can get at it (micro usb to 3.5mm jack + micro usb).

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

54 views and not a single reply. Guess nobody knows.

I gave it a try with my G1 headset adapter. Unfortunately I don't have the right combo of adapters to make it work. The G1 adapter uses an "enhanced" usb connector and the micro-mini adapter I have does not fit. I don't know if you'd run into the same problem with the adapter you found.

I was wondering if anybody knows for sure if the Micro USB port on the Nexus supports audio. I'm trying to find a single cable solution to charging the phone and listening to music in my car w/o resorting to bluetooth. I found this adapter on Amazon but:

USB cable is for data and charging only!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop6 View Post

Not that I don't believe but I'll need a little more than that.

Sir,

When dealing with files/voltage of a digital nature, everything is "data". The computer/cell phone/car stereo/bluetooth receiver is simply interpreting binary data in a predefined format.

So when you say "USB cable is for data...", I agree with you, and we can send data in an MP3 format to a source that can decode it.

I have to return some video tapes. I will check in later.

Thank you
    Patrick Bateman

Quote Originally Posted by KevinJD View Post

Sir,

When dealing with files/voltage of a digital nature, everything is "data". The computer/cell phone/car stereo/bluetooth receiver is simply interpreting binary data in a predefined format.

So when you say "USB cable is for data...", I agree with you, and we can send data in an MP3 format to a source that can decode it.

I have to return some video tapes. I will check in later.

Thank you
    Patrick Bateman
    You've missed the OP's point..he seeks ANALOG audio out, in his 1-cable solution. The only 1-cable solution I have found (using my new car dock) is the charge cable, and stereo over bluetooth. I leave my Jabra BT3030 plugged in to my car's stereo aux input. When I exit, the BT3030 gets my earbuds, and I remove the phone from the dock...instant mobility without missing a beat (almost literally).

Analog signal? or USB playback via your car stereo?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post

I was wondering if anybody knows for sure if the Micro USB port on the Nexus supports audio. I'm trying to find a single cable solution to charging the phone and listening to music in my car w/o resorting to bluetooth.

What type of audio signal are you looking for through the USB port? Analog/line-out? Or does your car audio system play music files from a USB device? In the second case I know that it works because it works in my car. My stereo has a USB port that I plug my Nexus One into. It charges it AND reads the music files stored on my phone, all through the one cable. The only catch is when I plug the phone in I have to select the "USB Connected" option from the Notifications menu and then "Mount" to allow my car stereo to actually read the audio files.

I'm still mad Google didn't implement aux audio out in the car dock! :/

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    I'm still mad Google didn't implement aux audio out in the car dock! :/
    You wanted two active stereo-mini jacks? What's wrong with using the onboard jack?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads