Best Brand of MicroSD Card? :)

This is a discussion on Best Brand of MicroSD Card? :) within the Nexus One Accessories forums, part of the Nexus One category; So I'm trying to decide which is the best microSD card to get for my Nexus. I've been having the HARDEST time trying to decide ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Brand of MicroSD Card? :)

Best Brand of MicroSD Card? :)

So I'm trying to decide which is the best microSD card to get for my Nexus.

I've been having the HARDEST time trying to decide which is the best brand/class for the Nexus.

I know for a fact that 32gb is completely overkill, so its really between 8gb or 16gb.

I found a nice 16gb Class 6 microSD by A-Data for about $60-65:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/DATA-Class-microSDHC-Memory-AUSDH16GCL6-RA1/dp/B001VLIVEE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268393778&sr =8-9]Amazon.com: A-DATA 16 GB Class 6 microSDHC Flash Memory Card AUSDH16GCL6-RA1: Electronics[/ame]

But a cheaper 8gb Class 6 by Transcend for about $22:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-microSDHC-Class-Memory-TS8GUSDHC6E/dp/B0026L7DG0/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268393759&s r=8-19]Amazon.com: Transcend 8 GB microSDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS8GUSDHC6E: Electronics[/ame]

Even cheaper, a 8gb Class 4 by Kingston for about $12:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-microSDHC-Memory-SDC4-8GB/dp/B001CQT0X4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268393732&sr =8-3]Amazon.com: Kingston 8 GB microSDHC Class 4 Flash Memory Card SDC4/8GB: Electronics[/ame]

Has anyone tried any of these?

I really want to go for a 16gb, but from reviews, many say that larger cards such as 16gbs have much slower rates because of the size even if they are higher classes (6.)

Also, many say that 16gb and 32gb have very high failure rates? I have had cards fail on me before, and its one of the saddest things. Im mostly worried about investing 60++ dollars on a card that won't last longer than a year.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Sounds like you and I are thinking the same thing. I was looking on ebay at these. Class 6 16gb all the way. Don't worry about failures as they are rare. Just back it up often for peace of mind. Not so sure about A-data. Transcend seem good but pricey.

Sandisk seems to be the top-of-the-line. Kingston uses Sandisk blanks and then writes their own read code (class) which may attribute to it's reported failure rate.

I went with a Sandisk 16gb class 4 ($88 at Amazon) and am very pleased with it so far. Very fast and easy set-up. I put quite a lot on it.

Was class 4 much faster than class 2? I might just get a class 6 for awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by robt772000 View Post
    Was class 4 much faster than class 2? I might just get a class 6 for awesomeness.
    Videos on my 16gb class 4 card load fast and play great. Didn't have any videos on the OEM class 2 card.

Class 6 seem to be difficult to find by a major manufacturer
    and the off-brands have the bad rep for failure, or PC not recognizing them.

There are currently 30 class 6 cards on eBay. 1 transcend card but $100 vs. $60 for the rest. Should I go 6 or 4 for reliability? Man I love my And. I just spoke all this and it got 100% right.
    Just bought a Team Group micro sd 16gb class 6. See how it goes.

Ah!

Since I'm never gonna use APPS2SD, it doesn't really matter the class speed. If anything having a higher class would just mean its faster to save/read files.

My main concern is the best deal for the price as i really don't have much money to spend right now. Was thinking about being cheap and just getting a class 6 8gb, but thats like 7.6gbs for 20 bucks. And 20 bucks for 3 more GBs isn't that great honestly. :|

I think I'ma go for a 16gb class 6 if I possibly can.... Really want to go with A-DATA because they have such high reviews everywhere. I have never actually removed my MicroSD card from my phone, and I think thats what causes failure in SD cards, the constant removing and inserting wears down the connection on the bottom of the card.

I'm WAYYYYY nevous about SD memory failure.

Back when 1GB was ALOT for a phone, I had many pictures and videos saved on it, and eventually after about a year, the card stopped reading all together, and I never backed up to my computer, and half of my pictures and videos were lost. I would probably back up my SD card to my comp once every other week.

EDIT:
    I'm purchasing a A-DATA 16gb class 6 off Amazon. Looked and it said that they have lifetime warranty which is worth the price.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Beware - there are a LOT of fake memory cards on eBay and Amazon. Beware.
    good looking counterfeits, in near perfect packaging, but... counterfeits nonetheless.

Sandisk, Kingston, Lexar, you name it they fake it:

On MicroSD Problems bunnie's blog

remember: if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    Beware - there are a LOT of fake memory cards on eBay and Amazon. Beware.
    good looking counterfeits, in near perfect packaging, but... counterfeits nonetheless.

Sandisk, Kingston, Lexar, you name it they fake it:

On MicroSD Problems bunnie's blog

remember: if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.
    Interesting. There are always many fakes on ebay.

I bought the A-DATA card in the first link. Its sold by Amazon, so I trust that they are carrying the cards from the manufacturer. They are the factory package ones.

Also, i have always had great service from amazon with returns and replacements. The 16gb card was on NewEgg for $55 but with tax was the same price as amazon. Class 2 16gb are about $30... But class 6 sounds better.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

there are many fakes on Amazon too sold by 3rd party Amazon retailers. if they are not sold by amazon themselves (direct, not a 3rd party) then dont be sure. even if itis amazon, be sure to check it 100% when you get it.

and no guarantee if your A-data one is in "Factory Package" - these fakes are 100% lookalike, yes, down to the hologram on the "factory package"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ads