32GB Micro SD Card

This is a discussion on 32GB Micro SD Card within the Nexus One Accessories forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by wickeddeus I would wait on the card, it's 32GB but it's only class 2. What about "class 2?" I am looking to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 32GB Micro SD Card

Class 2?

Quote Originally Posted by wickeddeus View Post
    I would wait on the card, it's 32GB but it's only class 2.
    What about "class 2?" I am looking to get the 16gb that is available but I don't understand about the different types of chips available. What should I look for to get the best performance?

It's really sad that this needs to be so confusing.

SD cards "classes" are based on MINIMUM WRITE SPEEDS.

SD Speed Class - SD Association

This does not mean that some cards of a "class" can't write quite a bit faster than that.

Also, read speeds are much, much faster.

card recommendations

Gentlemen:

Sorry to be so ignorant about this, but I'm guessing that there may be others interested in this topic as well. I know from photography that some manufacturers have proven higher reliability as well as faster write speeds. Are there specific cards that y'all would recommend for an N1? I am coming from an 8gb iPhone so 16 will be a big jump, but I would prefer to not make this investment twice if the 32's were available. However, it appears that the 32's are yet to be released so the 16's are the highest capacity available right now; am I correct? There are class 2, 4, & 6 micro SD cards available on Amazon.com from SanDisk, A-Data, and TopRam. Can you shed a little light on the complexities of the different classes and manufacturers? Thank you in advance for your advice.

The phone comes with a class 2 card. I'm not sure why some people think that this is not fast enough.

I recently updated to this: Dane-Elec DA-2IN1-16G-R Micro SDHC Card - 16GB, SD Adapter, Class 2 at TigerDirect.com

Seems to work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeisber View Post
    Well, in that case you could say 64 or 128GB...im sure we will be there at some point.
    SDHC is only capable of 32gb and that's what our N1s support.
    If you want larger capacity you'll have to wait for SDXC .... but this will need new hardware, so maybe on the N2/3 ???

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    The phone comes with a class 2 card. I'm not sure why some people think that this is not fast enough.

I recently updated to this: Dane-Elec DA-2IN1-16G-R Micro SDHC Card - 16GB, SD Adapter, Class 2 at TigerDirect.com

Seems to work just fine.
    Thanks for shedding light on the issue. I was not aware that the class distinction was only about write speed, which seems like something I would not use often. Reading speed is much more important IMO. But then again, perhaps there are times that I can't think of when writing speed is vital: camcorder recording perhaps. Anything else? Seems like for most common functions it is about reading speed. I wonder why they don't state the reading speed then.

Many of the brick and mortar stores only offer class 2 last I checked, like Best Buy for example, and they tend to not advertise the class. A salesperson at Radio shack didn't even know what the class was when I asked her. Perhaps the brick and mortar stores have concluded that it would not be worth it for the average user to pay the extra cost for write speed, and that is why they tend to offer only class 2. Am I correct?

how fine does it work ?

Quote Originally Posted by abe12345 View Post
    Thanks for shedding light on the issue. I was not aware that the class distinction was only about write speed, which seems like something I would not use often. Reading speed is much more important IMO. But then again, perhaps there are times that I can't think of when writing speed is vital: camcorder recording perhaps. Anything else? Seems like for most common functions it is about reading speed. I wonder why they don't state the reading speed then.

Many of the brick and mortar stores only offer class 2 last I checked, like Best Buy for example, and they tend to not advertise the class. A salesperson at Radio shack didn't even know what the class was when I asked her. Perhaps the brick and mortar stores have concluded that it would not be worth it for the average user to pay the extra cost for write speed, and that is why they tend to offer only class 2. Am I correct?
    Well... like I mentioned... the phone comes with a class 2 cards, so that must be plenty of speed for the functions that the phone has. I'm pretty sure that Google and HTC would not want to ship a card that couldn't be used for video recording, for example.

I don't think that the B&M stores are very good with this kind of thing anyway. I just order from Tigerdirect. Their prices and service are great.

Now for my digital camera which takes HD video, I use a class 6 card.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus1!:D View Post
    how fine does it work ?
    Mighty....fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abe12345 View Post

Well... like I mentioned... the phone comes with a class 2 cards, so that must be plenty of speed for the functions that the phone has. I'm pretty sure that Google and HTC would not want to ship a card that couldn't be used for video recording, for example.

I don't think that the B&M stores are very good with this kind of thing anyway. I just order from Tigerdirect. Their prices and service are great.

Now for my digital camera which takes HD video, I use a class 6 card.
    True. Class 2 must be sufficient. But perhaps it might not be a bad investment to go with a higher class, in case you might need the card for another device in the future, like HD video for example. What things other than HD video would a high class card be useful for?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links