SKYPE for Verizon Android only?

This is a discussion on SKYPE for Verizon Android only? within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; So I get an email this morning from SKYPE telling me that SKYPE Mobile is out for Android. I go to the site and find ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKYPE for Verizon Android only?

SKYPE for Verizon Android only?

So I get an email this morning from SKYPE telling me that SKYPE Mobile is out for Android. I go to the site and find out it's only for Verizon Android handsets.

I will thrill me to no end when Google FINNALY gets off it's collective ass to give us a Gizmo5 Sip solution ( for new users ).

SKYPES behavior ( beta client on Android...then removing the beta client ) their obvious fear of Apple, their warning message on my jailbroken Ipod touch about not supporting a Jailbroken device and now after 3 plus months still no Mobile client for Nexus One has pushed me over the edge.

This is a world about choice in 2010. I currently use Sipgate and Google Voice with my unlocked Nexus. There is CLEAR anger at SkYPE on their message boards about them cowing to interests other than their paying subscribers, yet they continue to play coy games with us.

So. Google. All we are waiting on is you. SKYPE are apparently spineless and Apple is being consumed by Steve Jobs LSD induced rants against Adobe, Google and a paper weight device named after a feminine hygiene product.

Strike now while the enemies of common sense and open source are most vulnerable.

Thank you

Does backflip off soapbox

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Yeah, I am never pleased when I keep hearing and reading about specific carriers deciding what can run on their 3G network. And Skype is acting like a puppet, playing whichever game the carriers wants to play. I wish Skype mobile could be available on the Android Market for all carriers and internationally.

Could not get skype to install on my AT&T network, can't I just use wifi for skype connection only? Since I have a skype-to-go number, I wont need skype when I am in the US.

I've been a Skype customer for a long time. I'm also coming over from an iPhone 3G, I ordered my AT&T N1 today. I've had my Iphone 3G almost a year.

The Skype client for the iPhone works fine over wifi. AT&T had restricted VoIP calls over 3G, but lifted that a couple months ago. A couple of vendors with VoIP applications were ready to go within days, but not Skype. They said they were waiting to deliver a 3G client with acceptable quality. Months earlier they said they had a 3G client ready to go...Apple and AT&T were the holdup.

I don't have Verizon but it is my understanding that the Skype client Verizon is allowing has wifi blocked and that Skype to landline calls actually use plan minutes. Only Skype to Skype calls are free.

I haven't used the Skype for Android yet, but I hear it is also limited. If it is not someone please tell me.

I'm afraid Skype has become a corporate lackey. I don't expect to see a update to the iPhone clients, nor the Androd client...at least not one that works as we would expect.

Which is sad, like I said I've been a Skype user for a long time. It is really my "home" number. I'm not sure it is going to be much longer.

What confuses me i thought all smart phones where able to skype. If not through the companies program but through nimbuzz and fring as well. I know windows mobile and android on all carriers run these programs. So could you not use any of those programs to skype???.....Sprint and Tmobile i have used 3g and wifi skype for a few yrs...Someone care to explain what i am missing?

Fring anyone

Try Fring. It works well if you have skype out and I believe skype to skype call are free ig in wi fi mode

Quote Originally Posted by titansafety View Post
    Try Fring. It works well if you have skype out and I believe skype to skype call are free ig in wi fi mode
    The past week I was in China (got back this morning and going on about 27 hours with no sleep). I used Fring and skype out via wifi... Sound quality was marginal but it did work. I was able to call home to the US for next to nothing. I was hoping to figure out a google voice option via wifi but was not able to before I left.

The problems I found with Fring and Nimbuzz were
    1) the quality of the call. Sometimes so bad I couldn't understand a word the other person was saying and it kept breaking-up
    2) Dropped connections

That was on the HTC Hero, I haven't tried on the N1 yet so I'm hoping it's better, but not expecting much.

I did have some success with Sipdroid/Skype on the Hero, but again, haven't tried on N1 yet.

"The problems I found with Fring and Nimbuzz were
    1) the quality of the call. Sometimes so bad I couldn't understand a word the other person was saying and it kept breaking-up
    2) Dropped connections"

Neither Fring nor Nimbuzz STAY connected for long. I have had to force quit both and restart them during the course of day. You will miss calls this way.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one disappointed with SKYPE.

I was hoping GOOGLE would have made their VoiP move by now.

I use fring over 3g and never get disconnected. I talk for 30min average.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links