Location Specific Phone Settings (Like Locale)?

This is a discussion on Location Specific Phone Settings (Like Locale)? within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hello, I was using Locale for a while. I recently rooted my N1, and discovered it's now 10$. I loved the app, despite its less ...

Thread: Location Specific Phone Settings (Like Locale)?

Location Specific Phone Settings (Like Locale)?

Hello,

I was using Locale for a while. I recently rooted my N1, and discovered it's now 10$.

I loved the app, despite its less than stellar reliability. You'd think there'd be a "SSID x detected, settings Y applied", but no.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has used a similar application with good results.

Locale used your GPS location, time of day, time of week, and other things to update a host of phone settings, including background, volumes, ring tones.

Anyone know if a competitor has come up? I'm willing to pay, but not 10$, and certainly not for anything less than perfect.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

'setting profiles' has some of these abilities, but the free version doesn't seem to work well. Im not up for $4 on the paid version YET
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Quote Originally Posted by Redlazer View Post
    You'd think there'd be a "SSID x detected, settings Y applied", but no.
    But yes.

As you should know, having had used Locale, the power of it really comes in the plug-ins. Many of the plug-ins you must pay for, but "Locale SSIS Plug-In" if a free one which will do what you wish it to do. For some people it's not worth the money, plus paying for additional plug-ins. I spent the money knowing I could refund within 24 hours and liked it enough to keep it.

If the unpaid version you had didn't support plug-ins, you were missing out on 99% of the ability of Locale. I mention a few of my settings here: http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...scription.html
    Rooted Nexus One

I did use quite a few plugins - my favourite was the Wake On LAN, when it worked.

Locale was a good program, but is not worth 10$. It'll have a long way to go before that.

The addons certainly help, but extended functionality is less important than the program working well enough to begin with.

Overall, Locale is a fantastic idea that didn't work well enough in practice. Things smoothed out with time, but it was still pretty ugly. I recommended it to my peers, but I warned them about reliability. When they say the price, theyr rightfully balked.

I didn't know there was a refund option. Is that a developer centric thing, or is it part of the Market?

I'll check out the other one mentioned. Hopefully it's good.

Does anyone know of anything else? I'm thinking of dabbling in development, maybe I'll make a 5$ competitor : )

-Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Redlazer View Post
    I did use quite a few plugins - my favourite was the Wake On LAN, when it worked.

Locale was a good program, but is not worth 10$. It'll have a long way to go before that.

The addons certainly help, but extended functionality is less important than the program working well enough to begin with.

Overall, Locale is a fantastic idea that didn't work well enough in practice. Things smoothed out with time, but it was still pretty ugly. I recommended it to my peers, but I warned them about reliability. When they say the price, theyr rightfully balked.

I didn't know there was a refund option. Is that a developer centric thing, or is it part of the Market?

I'll check out the other one mentioned. Hopefully it's good.

Does anyone know of anything else? I'm thinking of dabbling in development, maybe I'll make a 5$ competitor : )

-Fred

Man, there really isn't anything better than 'locale' and 'setting profiles' out there.
    BTW, I wanted to update you because I paid the $4 for the full version and I am REALLY liking it!
    It works really good.
    I have a ton of settings and my phone is changing to all of my scenarios by itself, silencing when i want it, automatically streams Pandora through bluetooth when i get in my car, etc......

However, with that note there is certainly improvement to be made on both. Let me know if you decided to create your own and I would love to give you some suggestions of my own and others that would make one of the best profile apps.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links