Apps restarting on thier own?

This is a discussion on Apps restarting on thier own? within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; The question is how to keep apps that I want to stay OFF from starting up again? I have task killer and I kill, lets ...

Thread: Apps restarting on thier own?

Apps restarting on thier own?

The question is how to keep apps that I want to stay OFF from starting up again? I have task killer and I kill, lets say "Amazon mp3 app", it removes it from task killer. I go into setup/apps/manage and its still there. go back into task killer and its started up again. I have opened the app itself and have everything grayed out(off). I've noticed this with some other apps as well. I have task killer set to auto kill as well when sleeping. So why the perpetual start up?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The Amazon mp3 app comes with the Android OS. Unfortunately Google doesn't allow you to uninstall these apps (FB and Google Googles are some others). The good news is although the mp3 app is running it sits idle and doesn't use memory or CPU resources. Unless you root the phone to get rid of it, you'll have to live with it.

If you've installed a 3rd party app that's behaving the same way, you should look at the settings in the app. You should be able to disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post
    The Amazon mp3 app comes with the Android OS. Unfortunately Google doesn't allow you to uninstall these apps (FB and Google Googles are some others). The good news is although the mp3 app is running it sits idle and doesn't use memory or CPU resources. Unless you root the phone to get rid of it, you'll have to live with it.

If you've installed a 3rd party app that's behaving the same way, you should look at the settings in the app. You should be able to disable it.
    Thanks. the mp3 app maybe idle but it does take up 4 megs memory, at least thats what freed up when I do kill it using task killer.

jah
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Claw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post

Thanks. the mp3 app maybe idle but it does take up 4 megs memory, at least thats what freed up when I do kill it using task killer.
    Plus it's annoying. It just bothers me that I can't kill an app, even though I know there's no real downside to it running. It's just that there's absolutely no upside to it running, either, since I'm never going to use it.

I recently read an article on mobile multitasking.
    It says, in Android , users should never need to quit apps manually — when the system runs low on memory, it automatically quits least-recently-used background apps to free up more.
    Now, it’s true that there are task manager apps in the Android Market. But they are not necessary. The Android system doesn’t come with one and doesn’t need one. And Google’s Android team must be annoyed that these task manager apps are in the market, because their existence creates the impression that they’re necessary or useful.
    The non-frontmost apps can run, but in limited fashions, in the background. It’s not like on Mac OS X or Windows where background apps continue to run exactly as though they’re in the foreground.

Quote Originally Posted by jobazhikanny View Post
    I recently read an article on mobile multitasking.
    It says, in Android , users should never need to quit apps manually — when the system runs low on memory, it automatically quits least-recently-used background apps to free up more.
    Now, it’s true that there are task manager apps in the Android Market. But they are not necessary. The Android system doesn’t come with one and doesn’t need one. And Google’s Android team must be annoyed that these task manager apps are in the market, because their existence creates the impression that they’re necessary or useful.
    The non-frontmost apps can run, but in limited fashions, in the background. It’s not like on Mac OS X or Windows where background apps continue to run exactly as though they’re in the foreground.
    Thanks I did not know that. I was thinking the OS operated like windows and the more apps active, the more ram used, the slower it would get. Now to think about getting rid of task killer.

I've only had my phone run sluggish once and it was right after I had switched apps multiple times, one right after the other. The screen swiping was getting choppy, so I knew it was probably low on memory. I used the advanced task killer and killed everything and it went back to normal, so I can say that the app does work to an extent. I do notice that there are always some apps that will run in the background and I know there's nothing I can do about them.

I just use an app called "Startup Auditor" to stop apps from starting. You can stop them from ever starting up and you can also make it so they don't re-start after you've stopped them. Works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jah View Post
    Plus it's annoying.
    Yes it is, but get used to it since that's how Android works....
    It took me a while, i was used to killing things on my BB and them staying killed.

jah
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jah View Post
    Plus it's annoying.
    Yes it is, but get used to it since that's how Android works....
    It took me a while, i was used to killing things on my BB and them staying killed.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Android. And I love my phone. And I "get" that programs can run, etc. I just can't imagine that it would work at least some bit better by not having completely useless programs running all of the time. I mean, the mp3 thing might be using very few resources, but they're using some.

Anyway, whatever.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links