WaveSecure - OH NO! Locked Phone

This is a discussion on WaveSecure - OH NO! Locked Phone within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Just wanted to post this as a warning to others that use this software. I had downloaded the trial with the uninstall protection program on ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WaveSecure - OH NO! Locked Phone

Thumbs up WaveSecure - OH NO! Locked Phone

Just wanted to post this as a warning to others that use this software. I had downloaded the trial with the uninstall protection program on March 31st. I used the software through the trial period. When the trial expired, I did not purchase the license. That is when things got interesting.

I have been swapping the SIM care between my Nexus One and an iPhone 3G. At work I decided to swap the SIM into the N1. When I turned on the phone, the shrieking female voice blasted from my phone and echoed through the office. Not the thing that you want to hear in an office environment. WaveSecure had somehow decided to 'LOCK' my phone. How can this be? I am in an expired trial mode, locking the phone isn't possible. I had to pull the battery from the phone to stop the screaming. In the meantime coworkers were streaming to my office to see what was going on.

I logged into the WaveSecure web site to see if I could unlock the phone from the web. There was no option to unlock as I didn't have a license. So the phone sat in my briefcase for the rest of the day with the battery pulled from it.

I was able to get the phone unlocked once I got home, but it was a pain.

Couple thoughts from this experience:
    1. Wavesecure took my phone out of commission. I never initiated a lock on my phone. Fortunately I had another phone. If I hadn't I would have been screwed.
    2. They have a phone number but I got their voicemail and their voicemail box was full so it was not possible to leave a message.
    3. Their web site says to expect a 2 day turnaround for issues - unacceptable in circumstances like this.

I have read testaments to their software. My experience is the opposite. I have since uninstalled their software from my N1. Anyone else hit this issue?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by JustLeft View Post
    Wavesecure took my phone out of commission.
    Yes that is what is is designed to do.
    I never initiated a lock on my phone.
    Yes you did. You changed the SIM which initiated the Lock event. This is a key feature of the program.

If you checked the settings area of Wavesecure you would have seen the very first option in the list says:
    Auto Lock - Auto locks the phone on sim chage [x]
    Simply unchecking this box would have prevented your phone from locking.

When wavesecure locks my phone it just says "Press menu to enter your PIN and unlock the phone". Seems to me you forgot your PIN as well?

How is all this Wavesecures fault?

Here is where we part company. I have swapped the sim in and out of the phone with WaveSecure no less that 5 times. Same SIM. The SIM is also registered on their web site. Also, the phone was powered off between the time I pulled the SIM and then replaced it back in the N1. So how would that even be a SIM change?

Further, I didn't receive the "Press menu to enter your PIN and unlock the phone" message. I got a lock screen that said the owner of the phone would be contacting me. This was accompanied by the shrieking woman's voice which could only be stopped by pulling the battery. So give me a little credit here. Don't assume I am stupid and I will return the favor. Further, I know my pin.

When I got the phone home I put the SIM in again, and kept pressing the menu button. It took at least 60 seconds for the unlock window to appear. I got the phone unlocked at that point.

To conclude, having the phone start immediately shrieking without an option to enter an unlock key is crazy. I can't use a program like this in my office.

That is how this is WaveSecure's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by logger View Post
    Wavesecure took my phone out of commission.
    Yes that is what is is designed to do.
    I never initiated a lock on my phone.
    Yes you did. You changed the SIM which initiated the Lock event. This is a key feature of the program.

If you checked the settings area of Wavesecure you would have seen the very first option in the list says:
    Auto Lock - Auto locks the phone on sim chage [x]
    Simply unchecking this box would have prevented your phone from locking.

When wavesecure locks my phone it just says "Press menu to enter your PIN and unlock the phone". Seems to me you forgot your PIN as well?

How is all this Wavesecures fault?

I suppose if you had purchased a license or removed the software, before the trial period ended, things would not have got so interesting for you.

Don't know the answer to that one. I noticed posts on their Facebook page of similiar issues from others. There could also be issues with the last version of their software that they released.

I was intending on purchasing their software until this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by logger View Post
    I suppose if you had purchased a license or removed the software, before the trial period ended, things would not have got so interesting for you.

Hi JustLeft,
    Thank you for bringing this up for discussion.

We have investigated this issue and suspect it might be due to this scenario. When the WaveSecure client has expired, it will not lock when it detects a SIM change. However, in this case, the server sent a command to lock the phone when it detected the SIM change. This will be addressed in the next upcoming update.

As you have discovered, with the PIN at hand, WaveSecure can be unlocked easily by accessing the unlock function by pressing on Menu. It took longer for the screen to appear probably because of the cold boot. Usually, the phone takes a longer time before it can respond.

Additionally, the "Enable Alarm" on SIM change is off by default. If you enabled this option, we understand the alarm that went off can be annoying. However, this feature is meant to warn thieves.

To answer your question, many people encountered problems with WaveSecure due to their lack of knowledge of how it works. For example, some people unknowingly turn on "Airplane Lock" and "Enable Alarm" but forgot about it. Then they got a shock when WaveSecure locks. To them, it appeared that WaveSecure locked for no reason. This is not the case. There also numerous support requests from people who don't remember their PIN or said they never set one up.

For a complex offering like WaveSecure, we understand we can do more to make it easier for people to protect their phones. We will continue to improve till all users get a positive experience.

Hope that explanation helps.

Thank you,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com

It is good to hear that you will address this situation. Here are some additional details:

1. I mentioned I switched the SIM between my 3gs and n1. However, this was done a number of times without incident over the last 3 weeks. Further, I powered off the N1 removed the SIM, put it in the 3GS for a couple of hours, then put it back in the N1. During the time the SIM was in the 3gs the N1 was OFF. It was never powered up. So I when I put the SIM back in the N1, it was as if the SIM was never removed since the N1 was OFF. Further, this SIM was the only one ever put in the N1 and it was the SIM that was registered on your site.

2. Since the SIM never changed the million dollar question - Why did Wavesecure think that it did? I have only one SIM. I had moved the SIM between the phone at least 4 times previously without incident - again always using the same SIM.

While I agree with you that I was able to unlock the phone, it was not something I could do in my office. The shrieking went on too long before I could bring up the unlock screen. This rendered the phone useless until I could get to an environment where I did not draw attention with the screaming emanating from my phone.

I think you have an issue. If you would like more information, PM me and I will provide you with my WaveSecure ID so that you can do some further research.

Quote Originally Posted by cheewee View Post
    Hi JustLeft,

We have investigated this issue and suspect it might be due to this scenario. When the WaveSecure client has expired, it will not lock when it detects a SIM change. However, in this case, the server sent a command to lock the phone when it detected the SIM change. This will be addressed in the next upcoming update.

As you have discovered, with the PIN at hand, WaveSecure can be unlocked easily by accessing the unlock function by pressing on Menu. It took longer for the screen to appear probably because of the cold boot. Usually, the phone takes a longer time before it can respond.

Additionally, the "Enable Alarm" on SIM change is off by default. If you enabled this option, we understand the alarm that went off can be annoying. However, this feature is meant to warn thieves.

To answer your question, many people encountered problems with WaveSecure due to their lack of knowledge of how it works. For example, some people unknowingly turn on "Airplane Lock" and "Enable Alarm" but forgot about it. Then they got a shock when WaveSecure locks. To them, it appeared that WaveSecure locked for no reason. This is not the case. There also numerous support requests from people who don't remember their PIN or said they never set one up.

For a complex offering like WaveSecure, we understand we can do more to make it easier for people to protect their phones. We will continue to improve till all users get a positive experience.

Thank you,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I feel though that you are missing the point and do not have a grasp of the full issue. So here are some questions:

1. If I pull a SIM card out of my phone, leave the power off, then put it back in, do you consider that a SIM card change?

2. If a single SIM is registered with an account and that SIM is the only SIM ever used in the phone, is that a SIM card change?

3. Is there a bug in your system where an expired trial can falsely indicate a SIM card change?

Numbers 1 & 2 are true for me. Number 3 is what I suspect is the problem.

While I appreciate your response on this board, you have not taken me up on the offer to provide you further information to make sure you have identified this issue and resolve it correctly. I have assisted a number of other developers in testing/debugging their applications. You are the first developer I have run into that hasn't asked for further information. This is very disappointing. You seem like a nice person, but you show no interest or curiousity in my particular circumstances with your software.

You seem to dump this into 'a lack of knowledge' on my part. Your assumption is sadly mistaken. I want nothing from your company, other than to help other people avoid the same situation. Having my phone lock up for minutes while it is shrieking loudly is a big issue in an office environment. Don't you get that? The unlock screen doesn't appear for some time. So having to wait for a couple minutes til I can unlock the phone is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Your offer of a free 3 month subscription to your product, while a nice gesture, will be respectfully declined. I was hoping for an offer to work with me to get the details of the issue to aid in your problem resolution. Alas, that has not happened. Ironically, I was about to purchase your software license for a year, when these issues started. I am putting the purchase on hold til I am convinced on two things - that you understand the problem and that you have fixed it. Neither is the situation at the moment.

To those who have WaveSecure on the device and the trial has expired - REMOVE IT from your device. The server is detecting SIM changes in error.

Quote Originally Posted by cheewee View Post
    Hi JustLeft,

Thank you,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com

Red face Help a brother out here!!!!

Thank you,
    cheewee
    Team WaveSecure
    www.wavesecure.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    so out of all these how on earth do i get ride of it or (unlock) my phone!!!

the app let me install it without registering the phone.. which was strange to me.. and i also forgot my password.. this obviously doesn't help .. period!!!

so can someone anyone put up how to unlock it. i've even tried to do a master reset..

that was my last resort and even then i can't do it!!!! GAAAAA!!! this is driving me up the wall... no phone for a day... can't play with my phone for a day makes me BONKIERS!!!

PLEASE HELP A BROTHER OUT HERE!!!

Have you tried contacting WaveSecure directly? That's probably the best solution for you at this point.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links