Prey for Android

This is a discussion on Prey for Android within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Device traking if stolen or lost.. Prey was first for notebooks and stuff, now its for android too :P thats it... more info here Prey ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prey for Android

Prey for Android

Device traking if stolen or lost..

Prey was first for notebooks and stuff, now its for android too :P

thats it... more info here Prey arrives on mobiles: Android version available – Prey

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Free as in beer is good!

Excellent! Nice find Budske!

i have to for a while on my netbook... it works great :P..

Made in Chile

hmm Interesting I might try it out tonight

Seems an unusual way to have it working. Needing to send it an SMS to enable it. If I were to steal a phone, the first thing I'd do to avoid myself getting caught is throw the SIM away. Or if I've learned anything from shows like "24", put the SIM into another phone and attach it to a moving car. Give the cops something else to follow.

Prey on computers doesn't work this way, it wakes, checks if a URL exists and if it doesn't (because you deleted it) then it switches into stolen mode. I don't see why prey on a phone can't do the same thing.
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    Seems an unusual way to have it working. Needing to send it an SMS to enable it. If I were to steal a phone, the first thing I'd do to avoid myself getting caught is throw the SIM away. Or if I've learned anything from shows like "24", put the SIM into another phone and attach it to a moving car. Give the cops something else to follow.

Prey on computers doesn't work this way, it wakes, checks if a URL exists and if it doesn't (because you deleted it) then it switches into stolen mode. I don't see why prey on a phone can't do the same thing.
    it appears to me it is attatched to the device.
    When the SIM is replaced it will text another phone of your choice the new sim number.

It looks like this may be a better way to find your lost phone, what else can you do? the cops arent' gonna follow you around to find a phone?
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

There are multiple apps that allow this!

I'm using WaveSecure and Mobile Defense currently for this, and they all do about the same task.

There is a tutorial on the Mobile Defense site, to install MobileDefense as a SYSTEM app, meaning it is UNABLE to be uninstalled from the phone, without the user knowing how to install/remove system apps. This way, since its a system app, you can TRACK THE PHONE EVEN IF THE GPS IS TURNED OFF.

Pretty helpful in the situation that it is stolen. In the phone settings you can do a SIM card lock, meaning the phone will only work/recognize YOUR sim card. MD and WS both have these sim card functions where if you remove the SIM card, it will automatically notify the people you sign up to be contacted.

I'll check out Prey! A bit of extra security is always good.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post

it appears to me it is attatched to the device.
    When the SIM is replaced it will text another phone of your choice the new sim number.
    Oh, I didn't know it did that. So if my N1 SIM has the phone number 1234 (for example) and my wife's phone has 5678, then I tell Prey about this 5678 number and it has it registered as a friendly number (one it can receive instructions from and/or send messages to). Then the phone gets stolen and the thief puts in his own SIM card with phone number 666 attached to it. Are you saying that Prey will see this has happened and automatically send a text to 5678 saying "new phone sim inserted with phone number 666" ? Then I know which number I need to send my "ENABLE PREY" message to from the wife's phone (because sending enable prey to 1234 will give nothing as that SIM card is lying on the ground somewhere thanks to mr thief.

edit: I see in the screenshot in the market that it does auto-enable if the SIM is replaced.
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Installed Prey on my laptops and phone now. Nice system.

One suggestion to avoid alerting the phone thief that you're onto them, don't set your activation message to something obvious like "ENABLE PREY". I've chosen a message that looks like an everyday SMS that you might receive from a friend. For example, assuming you don't like discos, and there's one called Googlez near you, something like "Googlez disco this saturday?" would be something that wouldn't make the thief think you're onto them, and it's not a message you're likely to get naturally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links