Profile Apps

This is a discussion on Profile Apps within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Is there any profile app which i can download where I can set a few profiles then change it as and when I need to ...

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Profile Apps

  1. #1
    Junior Member cyberboi79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9

    Profile Apps

    Is there any profile app which i can download where I can set a few profiles then change it as and when I need to change with just a few touches

    Items which I need to change are the following:

    1. Ring/Mute
    2. Vibrate
    3. Notification

    Thanks in advance

  2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

  3. #2
    Senior Member dimmakherbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    475
    search 'profiles' in the market and there a ton that will do this manually for you.

    'setting profiles', (which i only recommend the paid version as the free barely works, unless you want to do things manually) will change profiles AUTOMATICALLY based on location or rules.
    My phone automatically changes settings or launches music etc depening on my location, being in car, etc.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

  4. #3
    Member logger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    'setting profiles', (which i only recommend the paid version as the free barely works, unless you want to do things manually) will change profiles AUTOMATICALLY based on location or rules.
    My phone automatically changes settings or launches music etc depening on my location, being in car, etc.
    I have been trialling Setting Profiles Lite. I know you say the free one barely works. Try as I might, I cannot get it to recognise I am at home based on cell IDs. I then want it to turn my WiFi ON. I can create the location based on 4 cells, but I cant see how you would know if "Settings Profiles" subsequently thinks it is in the location. I created a rule to activate a profile that has wifi ON when in the location. But the Wifi is not coming on when I arrive. Not obvious what part of the location/rule/profile combo is causing it to fail. I am using the Lite version on my N1 to see if it works.

    Have you had any joy getting full Setting Profiles to locate you, other than by Wifi? As the documentation is fairly light on I am wondering if the cell id thing only works when in 2G/GSM mode. I am using 3G.

  5. #4
    Senior Member dimmakherbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by logger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    'setting profiles', (which i only recommend the paid version as the free barely works, unless you want to do things manually) will change profiles AUTOMATICALLY based on location or rules.
    My phone automatically changes settings or launches music etc depening on my location, being in car, etc.
    I have been trialling Setting Profiles Lite. I know you say the free one barely works. Try as I might, I cannot get it to recognise I am at home based on cell IDs. I then want it to turn my WiFi ON. I can create the location based on 4 cells, but I cant see how you would know if "Settings Profiles" subsequently thinks it is in the location. I created a rule to activate a profile that has wifi ON when in the location. But the Wifi is not coming on when I arrive. Not obvious what part of the location/rule/profile combo is causing it to fail. I am using the Lite version on my N1 to see if it works.

    Have you had any joy getting full Setting Profiles to locate you, other than by Wifi? As the documentation is fairly light on I am wondering if the cell id thing only works when in 2G/GSM mode. I am using 3G.

    I almost swore the lite version off and told the dev I wouldn't pay $4 for something that doesn't work in a trial version, but I did anyway and the full version is pretty flawless.

    I chose not to use cell towers and instead use lat/long, but only at one place and to be honest I couldn't tell you if it works because I haven't even tested it yet. Im not positive but when you set cell towers I think it may need to hear from every cell tower you activate in a location and that may be your problem, i would change it to 1 or 2 and see if it works. Hands down wi-fi is the MOST accurate and best. Since your phone natively recognises wi-fi it is accurate and works every time. I use wi-fi points for 2 locations and it always works perfect.
    I don't know if you are looking to save battery with wi-fi off or whatnot but I do know wi-fi uses less battery than 3g (significantly) so you should always to to connect to wi-fi anyway.

    That being said, again, the lite version for the most part didn't usually automatically change my settings (works great the first day and usually for 24 hours after a phone reboot), so you settings could be good, but lite version isn't changing for you automatically like it should.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

  6. #5
    Member logger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    I almost swore the lite version off and told the dev I wouldn't pay $4 for something that doesn't work in a trial version, but I did anyway and the full version is pretty flawless.

    I chose not to use cell towers and instead use lat/long, but only at one place and to be honest I couldn't tell you if it works because I haven't even tested it yet. Im not positive but when you set cell towers I think it may need to hear from every cell tower you activate in a location and that may be your problem, i would change it to 1 or 2 and see if it works. Hands down wi-fi is the MOST accurate and best. Since your phone natively recognises wi-fi it is accurate and works every time. I use wi-fi points for 2 locations and it always works perfect.
    I don't know if you are looking to save battery with wi-fi off or whatnot but I do know wi-fi uses less battery than 3g (significantly) so you should always to to connect to wi-fi anyway.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I was looking to save battery by having it OFF when nowhere near an access point I could feasibly use. Re the "wi-fi uses less battery than 3g" - I agree to a point. But that pre supposes both methods are available at the location in question. So downloading a file via wifi will use less power as it is much quicker. WiFi is the clear choice in this case.
    But why for example have it running 24/7 when 95% of the time there is no chance of me using it for data? Other than for a means for "Setting Profiles" to locate me. Especially when the product supposedly offers the other Cell ID method which uses the cell radio which would be on 24/7.

    BTW the lat/long method is misleading. It does not use your GPS at all. It still uses cell towers. I gather all that is different is how the app records you location. lat/long uses the google mylocation API to store your position as a lat/long but Setting Profiles still uses the cell towers to place you in it. Cell Towers ids method bypasses the mylocation API and records the tower ids.
    But as neither method currently works for me, this point is somewhat moot.

    I really wish "Setting Profiles" displayed a True/False indicator beside the locations and rules so that you could determine if it is working as you expect.

    Another thing that they really need to make clear is how manual profile changes interact with programmed ones.
    For example: I could have "Setting Profiles" setup to mute all calls at home. I then manually use the phones volume control to temporarily unmute it. What happens at the next rule scan. Does it say a) you are at home and mute the phone again, or b) you are at home and have manually muted it so leave it muted.
    Really this sort of stuff should made clear straight up if they want people to use it with confidence.

    Like you, the geek in me means I shall cough the $4 in (the hopefully not misguide) belief that I can get the full version working.

  7. #6
    Senior Member dimmakherbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by logger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    I almost swore the lite version off and told the dev I wouldn't pay $4 for something that doesn't work in a trial version, but I did anyway and the full version is pretty flawless.

    I chose not to use cell towers and instead use lat/long, but only at one place and to be honest I couldn't tell you if it works because I haven't even tested it yet. Im not positive but when you set cell towers I think it may need to hear from every cell tower you activate in a location and that may be your problem, i would change it to 1 or 2 and see if it works. Hands down wi-fi is the MOST accurate and best. Since your phone natively recognises wi-fi it is accurate and works every time. I use wi-fi points for 2 locations and it always works perfect.
    I don't know if you are looking to save battery with wi-fi off or whatnot but I do know wi-fi uses less battery than 3g (significantly) so you should always to to connect to wi-fi anyway.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I was looking to save battery by having it OFF when nowhere near an access point I could feasibly use. Re the "wi-fi uses less battery than 3g" - I agree to a point. But that pre supposes both methods are available at the location in question. So downloading a file via wifi will use less power as it is much quicker. WiFi is the clear choice in this case.
    But why for example have it running 24/7 when 95% of the time there is no chance of me using it for data? Other than for a means for "Setting Profiles" to locate me. Especially when the product supposedly offers the other Cell ID method which uses the cell radio which would be on 24/7.

    BTW the lat/long method is misleading. It does not use your GPS at all. It still uses cell towers. I gather all that is different is how the app records you location. lat/long uses the google mylocation API to store your position as a lat/long but Setting Profiles still uses the cell towers to place you in it. Cell Towers ids method bypasses the mylocation API and records the tower ids.
    But as neither method currently works for me, this point is somewhat moot.

    I really wish "Setting Profiles" displayed a True/False indicator beside the locations and rules so that you could determine if it is working as you expect.

    Another thing that they really need to make clear is how manual profile changes interact with programmed ones.
    For example: I could have "Setting Profiles" setup to mute all calls at home. I then manually use the phones volume control to temporarily unmute it. What happens at the next rule scan. Does it say a) you are at home and mute the phone again, or b) you are at home and have manually muted it so leave it muted.
    Really this sort of stuff should made clear straight up if they want people to use it with confidence.

    Like you, the geek in me means I shall cough the $4 in (the hopefully not misguide) belief that I can get the full version working.

    well, first I must say since I have the full version I forget what the free version has different stuff. So I can explain somethings but not sure if they are acurate to the free version.
    If you have your home set to mute calls and manual change it, they will revert back usually. I say usually because somethings like manually overriding the mute is sometimes like a manual override, but if the rules get checked from a different rule they will check back at your home and go back to mute.

    Let me show you how I know the rules are being followed


    Notice the widget in the bottom left. See how there is a color of green and orange? Green means home. Home is activated when sensing my homes Wi-Fi. then i have a 'Normal' setting which is my other setting that is on most of the time that activates during a set time period AND when my home wifi is NOT found.
    The orange is 'low battery' and is sensed when my battery is low which you can see it is. This overrides certain things, as you can see if turns my bluetooth off and does other things with brightness and screen turn off.
    How does it know what to do? well your 'normal' settings that are on all the time become '1', and profiles do stuff by using the 'star' therefore 'low battery' will override my settings as a #2, but there are only a few things it overrides. You can also add more rules like silence all calls except- mom, wife, dad or whatever.

    As far as location is concerned, again I havn't tested it but I know it doesn't seem to work for you, but I use lat/long because it has more control over the area than cell towers. The LAST thing you want is for GPS to be used, you will kill your battery. Beautiful widgets tried out GPS for location as a test and we all killed our batteries about 30% faster.

    It is my belief that the wi-fi usage on the program using to both regular and inverse is about the powerful feature, and what the profiles can do will probably outweight the wifi on battery use and make your life less miserable, its meant to be 'set and forget' not 'set and check to make sure'.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

  8. #7
    Member logger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    It is my belief that the wi-fi usage on the program using to both regular and inverse is about the powerful feature, and what the profiles can do will probably outweight the wifi on battery use and make your life less miserable, its meant to be 'set and forget' not 'set and check to make sure'.
    I think that is a fair comment. Because in reality having the WiFi active, but just ticking away looking for a access point every few minutes will probably use bugger all battery in any case. Like you say the net benefit of the other gains you can implement outweigh it. In anycase I did read somewhere that active, but idle wifi on these jiggers uses next to no power.

    Hey the Lite version has that widget too. So I just enables it and that will help me to nut things out. Thanks for that tip.

    Again thanks for the detailed response. Will take me a while to digest it it all.

  9. #8
    Member king244's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    91
    can anyone tell me how to rename or delete a profile

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Samsung Epic 4g coming August 11th?
    By DF Member in forum Samsung Epic 4G
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Search tags for this page

profile app

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.
Android Forum