Android full backup app

This is a discussion on Android full backup app within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; I suspect what I want doesn't exist, but I thought I would see if I've just missed something (not the first time). As far as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android full backup app

Android full backup app

I suspect what I want doesn't exist, but I thought I would see if I've just missed something (not the first time).

As far as I can tell there is no full backup app for Android, one that essentially clones what is on the device and restores it seamlessly if you do a factory reset. I've tried both Sprite Backup (largely useless) and MyBackup Pro (kind of like movers-- you get all your stuff back, but you have to still put everything together).

My expectations are shaped by coming from a Palm TX where we had an app called NVBackup that literally cloned and fully restored the device. I know there are more complications here, not the least of which is that some paid apps can't be backed up. That's ok, if it would restore the full system and apps and databases that can be backed up. Instead, I get my launcher back, but it has the default configuration of icons and not my setup.

I'm not rooted and am not looking to do that-- maybe there is a solution like I want for rooted phones. I can't imagine wouldn't want a better recovery solution if they are experimenting.

So, is this just life with Android (which I love, by the way, as I do my N1) or did I miss something?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Alot of the Good Backup Apps (like Titanium Backup) need Root Access to function. The Amon Ra Custom Recovery has an option called Nandroid Backup/Restore that will Clone your Current setup Completely and save it to the SD Card. But again You need to unlock your Bootloader to use this. Is there a particular reason why you dont want to Root the N1?
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by SliceBurgSlim View Post
    Alot of the Good Backup Apps (like Titanium Backup) need Root Access to function. The Amon Ra Custom Recovery has an option called Nandroid Backup/Restore that will Clone your Current setup Completely and save it to the SD Card. But again You need to unlock your Bootloader to use this. Is there a particular reason why you dont want to Root the N1?
    Yeah, I suspected if there was a solution it would require root. Just not my style to root. I'd probably not Jailbreak if I had an iPhone. That's not a rational explanation, I know.

Maybe eventually...

I realize this thread is a little (but not much) old, but what about the built in backup?

Back up my settings

Check to back up your phone's settings to Google servers, with your Google Account. If you replace your phone, the settings you've backed up are restored onto the new phone the first time you sign in with your Google Account. If you check this option, a wide variety of settings are backed up, including your Wi-Fi passwords, bookmarks, a list of the applications you've installed, the words you've added to the dictionary used by the onscreen keyboard, and most of the settings that you configure with the Settings application. If you uncheck this option, you stop backing up your settings, and any existing backups are deleted from Google servers.
    Is that close enough? Its built in so no root...
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

What about "My Backup Pro" from the Android Market? It's gotten good reviews. I personally never use it because I'd rather use a combination of backup programs to backup only the most vital things (like SMS, Call Logs, Maybe Applications, Bookmarks).

iTunes does this for the iPhone and I really liked that resource and the peace of mind that if I did something stupid, I had a full backup. I am not a "jail break" person and never wanted to open the hood and look inside so I am not likely to "root" my N1 but you never know. I have not seen a good explanation of what I would gain by doing this so I don't feel any real motivation to fiddle with a good/great thing. I will be checking out My Backup Pro once I get things set up.

To VydorScope....

yes you r right that this thread is too old but i think discussion i sgoing in a right way so this thread should continue so that more readers can do comments on here, isn't ?

Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
    I realize this thread is a little (but not much) old, but what about the built in backup?

Back up my settings

Check to back up your phone's settings to Google servers, with your Google Account. If you replace your phone, the settings you've backed up are restored onto the new phone the first time you sign in with your Google Account. If you check this option, a wide variety of settings are backed up, including your Wi-Fi passwords, bookmarks, a list of the applications you've installed, the words you've added to the dictionary used by the onscreen keyboard, and most of the settings that you configure with the Settings application. If you uncheck this option, you stop backing up your settings, and any existing backups are deleted from Google servers.
    Could you give me a step by step way to do this, I am not sure what "If you uncheck this option" refers to. I understand what the original poster would like and I feel the same way.

Thank you

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Janddi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post

Back up my settings

Could you give me a step by step way to do this, I am not sure what "If you uncheck this option" refers to. I understand what the original poster would like and I feel the same way.

Thank you

Jim
    Jim, thats a copy/paste from the online manual. I do not know anything beyond that.
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

You can backup apps using ASTRO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links