I need an experienced Google Voice user's opinion

This is a discussion on I need an experienced Google Voice user's opinion within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; I have been viewing these forums for quite some time, but this is my first post. I just got a job that requires me to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need an experienced Google Voice user's opinion

I need an experienced Google Voice user's opinion

I have been viewing these forums for quite some time, but this is my first post. I just got a job that requires me to have a cell phone for business. I want to keep my current cell number different from my business number. I am looking at using a number through google voice as my business number. I have a few questions...

-How reliable is this service? Is the reliability as good as a regular cell company such as t-mobile?

-Is it possible to set a specific ringtone for all incoming calls via the google voice number?

-I set a specific voice message to be played for missed calls, but somehow it went back to the standard greeting without my voice. Is this normal?

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
    Justin (Proud Nexus 1 owner!!!)

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

1. the reliability is excellent, but the in call quality can go either way because its through data.

2. yes you can select specific ringtones to come through when GV comes through.

3. I have also had the voice mail go back to original default, but not that often and seems only when I 'test' things.... seems to never have an issue for others calling me, but it does suck that it sometimes happens
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

One anecdote about reliability: I was out of town a couple months ago visiting friends and late one night we all got split up at a huge club and couldn't find each other towards the end of the night. TMo was having horrible network issues that night and every text message I sent kept bouncing back unsent (I literally tried to send more than 30 messages but none of them went through) and the club we were at was too loud to call on the phone. Luckily, I had Google Voice and could use them to send the texts.

Then I found my friends. Picked up hot chicks. Had lots of anonymous sex. Thanks Google Voice!

(Uh, maybe I'm embellishing that ending there.)

But seriously, Google Voice in mfing beta stepped up and did what the huge nationwide mobile provider should have been able to easily handle. This is just a one time anecdote though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Overall, I love google voice. no complaints at all.
    :nexusx: A new hope. :nexusx:

google voice is the cat's meow

i was lucky and got it very early.

don't use it much right now because there are no UMA android devices.

this will change and i'll be using it a lot again.

they keep on making it better and better.

when they integrate gizmo5 into voice, even it beta, cellcos and tellcos will have to up the ante by providing services like voice has or cutting prices to remain competitive.

it's a win/win for all of us.

Not for us Canadians though Life's not fair!

That said, of course I do have Google Voice and Gizmo5 and together they work excellent even here in Canada! Wish we could choose a Canadian number though, we don't have many local friends who are willing to call some USA long distance number when they could dial a local one for free

PS Miketoomanyeeee, welcome to the forums :D
    My sigs keep getting

Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    1. the reliability is excellent, but the in call quality can go either way because its through data.

2. yes you can select specific ringtones to come through when GV comes through.

3. I have also had the voice mail go back to original default, but not that often and seems only when I 'test' things.... seems to never have an issue for others calling me, but it does suck that it sometimes happens

Thank you for the info. My voicemail currently is the default voicemail (The lady saying the google voice subscriber...) even though when i log on to google.com/voice it shows the voicemail as being the one I created. Are there any tricks to switch it back to the voicemail I selected?

How to I change the ringtone to be different for incoming calls from GV?

Thanks!!!
    Justin

Re: I need an experienced Google Voice user's opinion

Yes do post how to change the ringtone for calls from Google voice.
    I can only change text

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

I don't believe there is a way to change the ringtone for just google voice customers. I at least do not see an option anywhere, someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    Jason
    Nexus One

Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    Just to make sure, the calls are NOT through data/wifi/3g or any types of internet connection. It's not a VOIP. Google voice is simply put, a relay. If your friend calls your google number, the google receive that call and relay to your cellphone and/or other number you set up to ring. The delay in voice/ sub-par quality we are experiencing is not because of it's through internet, it's rather due to being relayed few times. However, as far as I can tell, it's getting better and better. Here's a website to make you understand better:
    http://www.itworld.com/mobile-amp-wi...-learn-readers

To the OP, only thing you should watch out is, some carriers won't let it call the google number. AT&T wireless for example. All of my friends who are using their AT&T wireless numbers to call my google voice number, it tells them "the number as dial cannot be completed" or similar msg. So they call my actual cell number. However, other carriers like t mobile and verizon users are able to call my google number without any problems.

There's help section in google to report this problem which I did but still haven't got a solution from them.

Regarding a "special" ring tone for GV callers.

Here's the deal.... You can have GV do one of two things when you get a call through your GV number:

1) Your GV number shows on your phone. With this, there is NO WAY to know who is calling. But you could have your "special" ring tone for GV calls.

2) Your original callers caller ID shows on your phone. With this, there is NO WAY to know this came through GV, hence, no "special" ring tone for GV calls.

So there it is, you only two choices. Take your pick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links