Norton Smartphone Security (BETA)

This is a discussion on Norton Smartphone Security (BETA) within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; So now there's a Norton Security for our phones, which allow us to scan our phones. And also wipe if stolen or lost, other features ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Smartphone Security (BETA)

Norton Smartphone Security (BETA)

So now there's a Norton Security for our phones, which allow us to scan our phones. And also wipe if stolen or lost, other features include blocking unwanted numbers and sms and a few more.

Norton releases Smartphone Security beta app for Android – Android and Me

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Methinks the folks at Norton just wanted an excuse to get new Android phones...job security masquerading phone security.

downloaded norton this morning after reading this post. It's been about 6 hrs since I installed this app. I can say it's very good app in terms of blocking unwanted calls. However, I have yet to evaluate the other functions such as scanning, monitoring etc. I downloaded this app only to blocking the unwanted calls. Ever since I signed up for t mobile last week(and new number) I get 2 annoying calls asking for the previous owner. Although I've been telling them about 5 times a day for past week that I'm the new owner of this number and stop calling me. But as you all know, they never listen.

I set those 2 numbers to block list on norton and when they called me today, the phone flashes quickly 2 times without any rings and leaving the missed call logs. Just two flashes and you never know that they called you until you open up the norton and look for the blocked logs. Also I use a google voice as well and I already marked those numbers as spams so I never get alerts for their voicemails. So, finally with this norton, I'm being harassed free.

If the price is right after the 90 day trial, I'm willing to open up my wallet for this app.

You block calls/email/text etc natively. No need to install 3rd party software - especially with such a huge footprint as Norton.

Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
    You block calls/email/text etc natively. No need to install 3rd party software - especially with such a huge footprint as Norton.

While I never tried as you mentioned on N1, my past phones always left a trace of blocked calls such as showing missed calls upon unlocking the phone etc. Do you know if N1 does this or not? If not then you are right for not needing this app to block the calls.

Quote Originally Posted by uheenada View Post
    While I never tried as you mentioned on N1, my past phones always left a trace of blocked calls such as showing missed calls upon unlocking the phone etc. Do you know if N1 does this or not? If not then you are right for not needing this app to block the calls.
    Yes, the blocked call is a missed call so naturally it will be listed in the missed calls history.

I just set up a contact named BLOCKED which I have added multiple phone numbers & email addresses to and blocked that contact in settings. Don't know if there is a limit, but if so I'll just create a BLOCKED2 contact... ad infinitum.

Yes, the blocked call is a missed call so naturally it will be listed in the missed calls history.

I just set up a contact named BLOCKED which I have added multiple phone numbers & email addresses to and blocked that contact in settings. Don't know if there is a limit, but if so I'll just create a BLOCKED2 contact... ad infinitum.

OK. I don't want to see missed calls for the numbers I blocked as they are calling me several times a day. Also unless I check and clear the missed call notification, my n1 will continue to flash the trackball(is that how we call this?). And I don't want to turn off this feature just because of those stupid 2 unwanted calls. I do not want to know that they called me. The norton is doing exactly what I want. Block and never leave a trace of missed calls and no flashing the trackball. It's same as they never called me and I live happy life
    So far, the norton app is satisfying my needs pending their soon to be outrageous subscription price as usual. At least I have 90 days to use it.

I don't get any notifications when a call is blocked, only when a legit call is missed and it goes to Google Voice. In the settings you control what calls go to Google Voice or not.

IMO Norton is spyware. You may be using it for your bennefit, but they are scraping/collecting data from everywhere you visit. They hide their UA/referrer in an effort to go unnoticed but I detect them in the headers. I block Norton at the server for the several web sites I mange but unlike most well behaved utilities, they don't go away.

I don't get any notifications when a call is blocked, only when a legit call is missed and it goes to Google Voice. In the settings you control what calls go to Google Voice or not.

I'm very confused on your statement. Are you talking about blocking calls from the nexus one phone setting or from google voice? Of course google voice can block calls without any traces/voicemails but that only happens if the unwanted callers are calling your google number. But they call my normal cellphone number. As far as I know, google voice doesn't control when a caller calls your cellphone number. And you mentioned on your earlier reply that the N1 indeed leave missed call notifications for blocked numbers. So, which one is it?

I'm very confused on your statement. Are you talking about blocking calls from the nexus one phone setting or from google voice? Of course google voice can block calls without any traces/voicemails but that only happens if the unwanted callers are calling your google number. But they call my normal cellphone number. As far as I know, google voice doesn't control when a caller calls your cellphone number. And you mentioned on your earlier reply that the N1 indeed leave missed call notifications for blocked numbers. So, which one is it?
    Once again, I am blocking calls on the N1. The blocked calls do not create a notification (no flashing trackball or notification message.)

Why don't you try this yourself. Then you'll know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links