Locale - Need Help Deciding

This is a discussion on Locale - Need Help Deciding within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; any locale users out there who swear by this app? need help deciding plus i have a few questions. ---------------------- what i want to do ...

Thread: Locale - Need Help Deciding

Locale - Need Help Deciding

any locale users out there who swear by this app? need help deciding plus i have a few questions.

----------------------
    what i want to do (3 profiles i need... did this with the 24 hour trial i got):

1. home profile: location set using cell and location (energy saving) plugins from the market (tried both but not at the same time): turn on wifi

2. battery low: battery at 30%: set almost everything off, brightness to 0

3. default: sync on, wifi off, brightness 40%
    ---------------------

now for some questions...

*location keeps fluctuating when im at home. this turns off wifi. locates me at home then turns it on again. cell and location (energy saving) plugins just say that theres one cell tower... guess when i get an intermittent signal it keeps switching wifi on and off... and way to get this more stable? which of the 2 plugins is better? or is there a better one out there (default without gps?)?

*what happens when im on default... say a coffee shop with wifi. i turn the wifi on to use it. will locale turn wifi off right away since im just on default? or would it let me use that hot spot and switch off wifi when i go out of range (this is what i hope it would do)?

*with the way i want it to work... will this really save me battery? actually i just want to automate wifi on/off when im at home then lower the power consumption when i hit 30% battery when im out.

*just to add... locale website says that its more efficient to use the default location function of the app... though my work, and home locations couldnt get a proper gps lock and is saying that im about 20kms away from where i really am. can i just fix this manually via the map? will this work? do i need to have gps always on for it to be able to get my right location?

just asking here since $10 is a bit steep for an app that may or may not work the way i want it to.

thanks in advance.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I always keep GPS on, so use the default Location detection. I've seen the wifi turn on and off before, but never when I'm using a profile that keeps it on - so it never kicks me off. You can manually override the settings and ti will not quickly change it back. If I turn wifi on while in a no-wifi profile it will stay on until either I manually turn it off or I open Locale again. If i open Locale it will reevaluate and readjust my profiles.
    I've never had any issues using the power profile options.
    You can manually move your location by pres-dragging the location mark on the map to where you want the center to be. Also be aware you can press-drag the outter circle to change the radius.

Locale hasn't been the best with update frequency or accuracy in the past, but they just released an update and so far I've had good results from it.
    Rooted Nexus One

how long can you make the battery last with gps on the whole day (with just locale and no navigation)? do you need to charge it in the middle of the day?

also, i couldnt seem to get a proper location lock even with gps on with the previous version of locale just outside the building/house in my work/home... has this been improved?

I never really had issues with GPS locking on with the old one, just the update frequency. I don't notice much of a difference in battery between GPS on and off all day - it sucks no matter what and I don't think I've ever been away from a charger for more than 12 hours.
    Rooted Nexus One

thanks.

one last question... would just like to confirm that you can override settings like say turn the phone to silent mode for a movie.... wont it go back to default settings before the 2 hours are up? or does this only set it back to default settings (with ringer on) when you reactivate locale?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links