Safe apps Market vs Non-Market

This is a discussion on Safe apps Market vs Non-Market within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; I recently saw two links on here to apps that were non-market apps (one was the Mario live wallpaper and the other was NoLock). After ...

Thread: Safe apps Market vs Non-Market

Safe apps Market vs Non-Market

I recently saw two links on here to apps that were non-market apps (one was the Mario live wallpaper and the other was NoLock). After I downloaded them, my phone reminded me that they're not market apps and do I want to trust them. I decided in both cases to not trust them. Was I wrong? Not so much in these two specific cases, but generally.

Do you trust an app from the market more than one that isn't in the market? Is there any reason to trust a market app more? The feedback comments and rating do give some sense of security. Sometimes I'll see that it was downloaded 100,000 - 250,000 times and has a rating of 4 stars and that will make me think it's probably quite safe. On the other hand, something that's a link from an external website of unknown safety (e.g. the mario wallpaper) makes me a bit more nervous.

Is it hard to get an app on the market? Or is it as easy as uploading a video to youtube?
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I tend to stick to market apps mostly. If there is one that is recommended by users in a forum I frequent that is not in the market, I will check it out, but for the most part I stick to the market.

That said, I saw where recently Google had to remove a suspected app from users phones because of some security issues with the developers, so even our market can have occasional problems. Overall, though, I believe market apps are the better choice.

Oh, I got my noLock from the market, by the way.

I usually stay away from nonmarket apps too, unless is something like Swype, which comes from a reputable source.
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

So there's no approval/codereview process to get in the market then? It's like a free-market in terms of google leaving it up to the users reviews and comments to filter out the suspect apps?

When each app now offers me an update, and because of Froyo I have the chance to set it to automatic-update, I definitely consider who it is that's making the app before I trust them with the auto-update option. I'll let things like facebook, google maps, and other "big-name" apps auto-update, but I wouldn't let the smaller one-man operation apps do it.
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links