Google Maps Auto Rotation

This is a discussion on Google Maps Auto Rotation within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Why is the latest version of google maps missing this option? Is there a way to get this? I want this function like the iphone. ...

Thread: Google Maps Auto Rotation

Google Maps Auto Rotation

Why is the latest version of google maps missing this option? Is there a way to get this?

I want this function like the iphone. How can google's owe baby not have this?!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by safeplayer22 View Post
    Why is the latest version of google maps missing this option? Is there a way to get this?

I want this function like the iphone. How can google's owe baby not have this?!
    It works fine for me....

Works for me too.
    Do you have the Auto Rotate setting on?
    Go to Settings -> Display-> and check Auto Rotate Screen
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

I may be not clear on my question.
    I am not saying the auto rotatation as far as the portrait to landscape mode goes.
    I am referring to the app google maps. on the iphone, the map automatically rotates as you would. You will notice that on the n1's google map, when you rotate, the "pointy" navigation arrow rotates, but not the map. i want the opposite where the map rotates but not the arrow. Similar to how real navigation works (of course not having to turn on my gps). I'm sure those that have used the iphone before know what I'm talking about.

Sorry for the bad description.

I think I am not the only one asking or complaining about this:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1919

try tapping the compass to change the mode

Quote Originally Posted by safeplayer22 View Post
    I may be not clear on my question.
    I am not saying the auto rotatation as far as the portrait to landscape mode goes.
    I am referring to the app google maps. on the iphone, the map automatically rotates as you would. You will notice that on the n1's google map, when you rotate, the "pointy" navigation arrow rotates, but not the map. i want the opposite where the map rotates but not the arrow. Similar to how real navigation works (of course not having to turn on my gps). I'm sure those that have used the iphone before know what I'm talking about.

Sorry for the bad description.

I think I am not the only one asking or complaining about this:

Issue 1919 - android - Enhancement suggestion: rotate map based on compass orientation - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Hi safeplayer22, I asked the same thing here and didn't get it solved. There were quite a few hints as to how to get what you are asking. I never did get the map to rotate. I gave up. Then Navigation became available here in Canada and I don't use "Maps" the way I used to. In fact I was confusing "Maps" with "Navigation" at the time.

Jim

What you are asking for is a "Heads Up" setting. Where the map rotates to always show which way is you are heading regardless of which way North is. Most GPS navigators default to this instead of a North up setting.

I notice that if I use Navigation instead of maps, then the map would rotate. But this would mean I have to turn on GPS and run the navigation. I guess this is the only way for now.

I'm just a bit upset that Apple is beating google in the way this app can be used (at least this feature) while many have complained or asked for this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Luq07 View Post
    What you are asking for is a "Heads Up" setting. Where the map rotates to always show which way is you are heading regardless of which way North is. Most GPS navigators default to this instead of a North up setting.
    Yes, most GPS "Navigation" systems do this.
    Most "Maps" just go North Up.

Whenever you are in Street View mode, click Menu, click Compass Mode and it will rotate the screen as you move the position of the phone.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links