wifi

This is a discussion on wifi within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Have been looking for an app to switch my wifi on when i come into range of remembered networks without asking me wether i want ...

Thread: wifi

wifi

Have been looking for an app to switch my wifi on when i come into range of remembered networks without asking me wether i want to connect or not, any suggestions thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Switch Widget pro (market) gives extended wifi settings. Just leave wifi always on, en turn of network notifications in widget.

Nexus One does have wifi connection issues, but there's apps for that as wel. See this link on XDA.

Try 'y5 battery saver'. Its in the market.

I personally use 'locale' for this but that's not free.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    Have been looking for an app to switch my wifi on when i come into range of remembered networks without asking me wether i want to connect or not, any suggestions thanks
    You have a bit of a chicken/egg problem.

To detect a "wifi in range", wifi would have to already be on.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post

i see hat you mean but i thought if the app was running then the wifi could auto connect when i came home

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post

i see hat you mean but i thought if the app was running then the wifi could auto connect when i came home
    It would have to rely on something else, like GPS. But then GPS has to be on all the time.

Computers do so many cool things these days that we sometimes want them to do the impossible.

I leave my WiFi on all the time, but have turned off Network notification. I have several "remembered" wifi connections and when I get within range of these, my N1 just automatically connects, without any prompting. When I get home again, it automatically connects to my home network again. I have never noticed any battery drain by leaving the WiFi on all the time, so maybe this would work for you, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I leave my WiFi on all the time, but have turned off Network notification. I have several "remembered" wifi connections and when I get within range of these, my N1 just automatically connects, without any prompting. When I get home again, it automatically connects to my home network again. I have never noticed any battery drain by leaving the WiFi on all the time, so maybe this would work for you, too.
    i was doing this before but turning wifi off DOES save battery. leaving it on is not a big waste but turning it off can get you an extra 10-15% (non scientific estimate) of juice for the day.

you can download "y5 battery saver" (free) from the market. it gets your location via cell towers (i think) and it turns on wifi when you are in the area of a known hotspot.

i actually just leave wifi off and want it to turn on automatically when i am home... so i just decided to use "locale" ($9.99) + "cell plugin (free)" for doing this. with this, i dont need gps to be on so i do get pretty significant battery savings.

for places with wifi (and not at home)... i just manually turn on wifi then turn it off when im done.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links